Wildlife encounters while MD-ing - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Wildlife encounters while MD-ing

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
    913 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterWalker View Post
    Sharks in Guam, Snakes and Snapping turtles in Connecticut and Massachusetts, Birds in Iceland, Goats in Spain, Caught a duck with a fishing hook in its beak attached to 30 feet of line and 2 sinkers - Pliers used to remove the hook and the duck quacks with a lisp. Followed by and hit by salt water fish, bit by crabs, watched whales, seals and foul go by. I've been chased by angry bees and surrounded by feeding Blue fish and stepped into deep holes and over sharp drop-offs OOPS...

This hobby IS dangerous, kinda of scary isn't it?
    Don't have many huntin' buddies, huh?
    RustyGold and A2coins like this.
    "A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." Friedrich Nietzsche

"You ask where I live. I cannot tell you. I am a Voyageur, a Chicot, sir. I live everywhere. My grandfather was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. My father was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. I will also die while en route, and another Chicot will take my place. Such is our course of life."

us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    2386 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishgoldhound View Post
    Ive been dive bombed by a bunch of birds in the bush. Got the hell out of there in a hurry. One thing that freaks me out is birds diving at my head.
    I used to get dive-bombed by mockingbirds, but only one at a time - and always at the very same spot on a 1.25 mile walking trail around the Navy-Marine Corps stadium where I used to walk during my lunch hour. I admired their ferocity.
    RustyGold and A2coins like this.

Always do right; this will gratify some and astonish the rest.
    - Mark Twain

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    14982 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    If its in the water - Ive seen it or dealt with it
    sharks
    rays
    turtles
    jelly fish - including a box - I wear gloves most of the time when i water hunt just so i can push jellies and man o wars aside
    in the case of the box - Im glad i wear a mask and saw it - ii was like 2ft away - i pushed water towards it to get it away then went in the other
    direction hoping he did not have any relatives near by
    barracudas - had some intimidate me and one snap right in front of my mask in bad viz
    had a huge school of blue fish mow right thru me - at least a couple 100 - was more affraid of what might be chasing them
    been attacked by crabs - luckily i wear 7mm boots
    had an electric eel go up my swim shorts - WHydah was there for that - i was lucky i had lycra bike shorts on - saved my goodies
    by i still got a good zap
    was attacked by a pelican - bit my shin and gave me a good cut
    ive been hooked by fishermen that were in a no fishing zone a few times
    was threatened by topless women more than a few times - jumping in front of me
    trying to distract me
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC, CA
    XP Deus, Equinox 800 720i Stealth Scoop
    7268 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    A dolphin came up right beside me and looked me straight in the eye. It was a ripped, very muscled dolphin. Scared me at first then I realized I had been given a gift. I kind of wonder if there was a predator nearby.

We are not what we take, we are what we leave.

us
    John

Dec 2018
    Fl.
    Garrett
    104 times
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F3D9C6CB-4757-40A5-B05E-4B3742E36D6B.jpeg 
Views:	13 
Size:	791.8 KB 
ID:	1746523Dozens of Gators, Sharks, Bears, Snakes, Monkeys (really nasty), one monster croc. Welcome to Florida. A few months ago I came eye to eye with a huge wild hog that probably weighed more than I did, that was a really tense moment. After that experience if I go in deep I carry bear spray. No pythons yet! They blend in so well you can walk within inches and not see them. Had to have a serious talk with the Wife, if we have a “issue” WE are going to have seconds to waste this MF before it gets me, so don’t just stand there and watch. She hates snakes but gets the point plus we always pack protection,emergency gear and comms. Very well prepared for adventure. In the one pix, the baby blacktip swam right by me while I was standing beside the boat while deep in the Glades last week. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DBE226E3-B856-4846-ABCF-E3FCA8B49C8A.jpeg 
Views:	15 
Size:	953.5 KB 
ID:	1746497Click image for larger version. 

Name:	635D1ADC-2143-44FD-B5F1-9E7A69AA98BC.jpeg 
Views:	16 
Size:	188.3 KB 
ID:	1746498Click image for larger version. 

Name:	569EB3CE-E2B6-4C83-A62B-7860E6CCEAB2.jpeg 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	1746499Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1744108D-92DB-48D0-8A5D-BA9A5F93DD34.jpeg 
Views:	14 
Size:	145.4 KB 
ID:	1746501Click image for larger version. 

Name:	71F823E8-10E3-440F-9133-937DEDAA500A.jpeg 
Size:	281.2 KB 
ID:	1746505Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5D9E9883-A480-420B-B2BE-1BEBFE2FABFF.jpeg 
Size:	330.3 KB 
ID:	1746506Just a note: There is a MAJOR ISSUE with the wildlife in Southern Florida. The Pythons have wiped out 99% of the wildlife. It might be a combination of Hurricane Irma, pollution, the red tide also to factor in , We have been reading about it but saw it first hand last week while in Everglades NP and the Keys. There were no birds of any kind, usually thousands everywhere. No raccoons usually the little bandits are everywhere raiding our campsites.....Zero. We would normally see 20-50 dolphins.....2. Talking to a Baitboat Capt. He said it’s the first time there was no bait run in 27 years. We ran out to Nest Key about 20 miles out which is loaded with birds.....nothing. Just quiet. Nothing. Very very eerie.
    Last edited by Flipperfla; Aug 26, 2019 at 08:02 AM.

ca
    Aug 2016
    Guelph, Ontario
    Garrett AT PRO, Bounty Hunter DISCOVERY 1100
    41 times
    Metal Detecting
    I was in a local park a few weeks ago around dusk just quietly swinging away, caught a movement off to the side. It was a skunk!!! not quite full grown but happily walking towards me a few feet away. I just stood there as it came up and sniffed my leg then it turned and went on its way. It was a tense few seconds but I figured that just staying still was the best option at that point. I kept an eye on it for a while but then suddenly I couldn't see it anymore as it was getting too dark. Thought that was a good time to call it a day.
    I moved a planter next to the hot-tub on Sunday and disturbed a wasp nest I had no idea about. They were not too happy with me, I'm glad my wife didn't see how fast I can move when the need arises as I'm sure I was not too graceful getting out of the area.
    Not as disturbing as some of you'r guys encounters but enough to get my heart beating a little faster.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    29683 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Detecting in a grassy field in my zone when this freakin explosion like a tornado in a hayfield this huge prehistoric Pheasant starts flying my poop stars flying holy crap those things can scare you into a heart attack

Approved TreasureNet Stickers

.:: $3.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::.
    .:: $2.25 for 1" x 4" Detector Sticker ::.
    (Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links