Wildlife encounters while MD-ing
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By NowandThenTreasures
  • 2 Post By ecmjamsit
  • 2 Post By Jim in Idaho
  • 1 Post By Clad2Silver
  • 4 Post By WaterWalker
  • 1 Post By Armymusician

Thread: Wildlife encounters while MD-ing

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jul 2014
    Wisconsin
    Garrett AT PRO, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
    161 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Wildlife encounters while MD-ing

I am curious about and would like to hear some of the interesting, crazy, funny, scary wildlife encounters you've had while out enjoying this great hobby.
    I've never been chased by a gator, croc, shark or a bear. I've never ran into a sea snake, blue ringed octopus, box jellyfish or water moccasin while sand fishing, and hope I never do, but I sure there's been plenty of close calls for some of you out there?
    My stories are mild, I've just had fun seeing fish follow me around (little ones do nibble on me every once in a while) as I stirred up the sand looking for goodies. I've enjoyed seeing some sand hill cranes and bald eagles probably trying to figure out what I was up to swinging a stick.
    What are some of your stories?
    Kray Gelder likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2007
    Colorado
    Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
    949 times
    Metal Detecting
    I was hunting along the Arkansas river and came across a diamondback rattlesnake with a head as big as my fist. It was so big I would not go within 15 feet of it.
    Kray Gelder and niffler like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2012
    Blackfoot, Idaho
    White's GMT, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO 'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
    3168 times
    Prospecting
    Back in June I was detecting west of Winnemucca, NV, and caught a motion out of the corner of my eye. An 8" Long-Nosed lizard was racing at me as fast as it could go, with my dog Heidi in hot pursuit. A big shot of adrenolin at first, and then laughter. They have some big lizards in that country! The next day, while digging targets, we excavated a couple of 4" scorpions. Our buddy got stung by a smaller an hour later.
    Jim
    Last edited by Jim in Idaho; Aug 12, 2019 at 08:40 AM.

us
    Ed

Jul 2018
    Eastern Connecticut
    Garrett AT Pro Garrett Ace 400 Garrett Pro Pointer
    2074 times
    Metal Detecting
    Never really had any dangerous or scary encounters but one time we were detecting and a policeman pulled in to let us know that a bear was reported to be in the area we were detecting. We left immediately.....

Charter Member
    us
    Classic car lover

Jul 2017
    East TX
    Teknectics eurotek pro bounty hunter time ranger bounty hunter quick draw 2 used a teroso compadre. Carry a 22 cal. six-shooter.
    18230 times
    baseball cards,hunting,bottle digging,coin roll hunting,shooting,Metal Detecting, swimming,
    Banner Finds (1)
    I've been chased through the woods by a wild dog
    audemus jura nostra defendere

neque deditionem

us
    Jan 2007
    Cape Cod, Massachuestts
    Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Troy (X2 X5), Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Pro-Find 35
    531 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Sharks in Guam, Snakes and Snapping turtles in Connecticut and Massachusetts, Birds in Iceland, Goats in Spain, Caught a duck with a fishing hook in its beak attached to 30 feet of line and 2 sinkers - Pliers used to remove the hook and the duck quacks with a lisp. Followed by and hit by salt water fish, bit by crabs, watched whales, seals and foul go by. I've been chased by angry bees and surrounded by feeding Blue fish and stepped into deep holes and over sharp drop-offs OOPS...

This hobby IS dangerous, kinda of scary isn't it?

us
    Jul 2014
    Wisconsin
    Garrett AT PRO, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
    161 times
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterWalker View Post
    Sharks in Guam, Snakes and Snapping turtles in Connecticut and Massachusetts, Birds in Iceland, Goats in Spain, Caught a duck with a fishing hook in its beak attached to 30 feet of line and 2 sinkers - Pliers used to remove the hook and the duck quacks with a lisp. Followed by and hit by salt water fish, bit by crabs, watched whales, seals and foul go by. I've been chased by angry bees and surrounded by feeding Blue fish and stepped into deep holes and over sharp drop-offs OOPS...

This hobby IS dangerous, kinda of scary isn't it?
    I gotta bite on this one, what kind of shark encounter did you have in Guam?

us
    Aug 2009
    Southeastern, NC
    Garrett AT Pro
    50 times
    A few months back I was minding my business swinging my AT Pro in the woods and and went to go under some branches and was completely enveloped in a banana spider web...which immediately turned me into a 5th degree blackbelt Karate champion. ...about 30 minutes later came upon a buried yellow jacket nest. I could have beat Usain Bolt in the 200 meter that day had 4 stings...I went home after needing to turn back and recover my detector.
    DizzyDigger likes this.

us
    Patty & Paul

May 2014
    Gulf Coast Florida
    Excalibur 1000 & Excal II
    8 times
    I've had Manatees and dolphins here in the gulf.
    They'll still scare the life out of you when they pop up close.

Jul 2013
    1104 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Ive been dive bombed by a bunch of birds in the bush. Got the hell out of there in a hurry. One thing that freaks me out is birds diving at my head.

Sponsored Links