niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it turns out that it really is a small world...or at least a small town. After finding a really nice diamond ring in a river a couple weeks ago, I showed it to my neighbor. He texted me a few days ago that his boss was at work complaining about how his daughter lost her engagement ring in the river while tubing, and that they were offering a $1000 reward. My neighbor gave my number to the daughter, who texted me a picture of her with the ring on, same ring. So today I met up with her and her fiance so I could return the ring. Turns out she almost drowned while losing it. As for the reward, she offered to buy me lunch. I declined. No $1000 reward for a $12,000 ring, the knees on my wetsuit are all ripped out from the rocks, and I got big painful scrapes on both of my shins. Guess I'll keep my big mouth shut from now on. The ring is with it's owner now, so I won't complain about that. HH

Upvote 0

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

rykroll

Mar 26, 2014
Annapolis, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, SeaHunter Mark 2, Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pirates are evil and horrible, do you want to retract your statement?

Also, Have you ever returned a wedding band? It’s very rewarding (as long as they are grateful!)

Sorry about the lame ring-loser. Sounds like the character of this person needs some adjustment!

No I don’t retract my statement. Sure if someone approached me in need of help finding something they lost I would give an honest effort and if I recover the item I would gladly return it. But any other gold or silver I find will be mine no matter what. When people ask me if I found anything my answer is always beer money and trash.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No I don’t retract my statement. Sure if someone approached me in need of help finding something they lost I would give an honest effort and if I recover the item I would gladly return it. But any other gold or silver I find will be mine no matter what. When people ask me if I found anything my answer is always beer money and trash.

My feelings as well. In the mid 1980's, a member of our club arranged to return a women's class ring he dug at the fairgrounds. When he arrived to return it, expecting just simple appreciation, he was met by the police and arrested, charged with B&E and theft. He had to pay a lawyer and go to trial. A few of us took a day off from work to be there at the courthouse. He was acquitted - but the experience changed all of us. IMO, returning a ring is not worth the risk of being falsely accused of a crime. Oh, the woman who claimed her home had been broken into? When we left the courthouse, she was in the parking lot smooching with the "investigating" officer. I suspect it was an insurance scam, assisted by a crooked cop.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
My feelings as well. In the mid 1980's, a member of our club arranged to return a women's class ring he dug at the fairgrounds. When he arrived to return it, expecting just simple appreciation, he was met by the police and arrested, charged with B&E and theft. He had to pay a lawyer and go to trial. A few of us took a day off from work to be there at the courthouse. He was acquitted - but the experience changed all of us. IMO, returning a ring is not worth the risk of being falsely accused of a crime. Oh, the woman who claimed her home had been broken into? When we left the courthouse, she was in the parking lot smooching with the "investigating" officer. I suspect it was an insurance scam, assisted by a crooked cop.

O'heck, check this out..Steve White returns a NYG super bowl ring, they put a gag order on him so he could not say who the person who lost it was...then the football player came and picked it up in a limo...All Steve got was a hand shake, and all he really wanted were a couple tickets to a game.. (He did in time reveal the player)

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/h...-beach-returned-player-revealed-new-pics.html

What a man does with his gold is his own business..

If you want to be a gold loving pirate I see no harm in being just that..

201808.jpg

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Generous in the extreme of Steve to return that Super Bowl ring. My wife is a hardcore Patriots fan and probably would have required it to be part of some exorcism ritual after that Super Bowl. Nice to see that Steve was not arrested/falsely accused of theft.

2Peas

May 26, 2014
Gulf Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 & Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did a nice thing. As for the lack of a reward....chalk it up to a lesson learned.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread