niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it turns out that it really is a small world...or at least a small town. After finding a really nice diamond ring in a river a couple weeks ago, I showed it to my neighbor. He texted me a few days ago that his boss was at work complaining about how his daughter lost her engagement ring in the river while tubing, and that they were offering a $1000 reward. My neighbor gave my number to the daughter, who texted me a picture of her with the ring on, same ring. So today I met up with her and her fiance so I could return the ring. Turns out she almost drowned while losing it. As for the reward, she offered to buy me lunch. I declined. No $1000 reward for a $12,000 ring, the knees on my wetsuit are all ripped out from the rocks, and I got big painful scrapes on both of my shins. Guess I'll keep my big mouth shut from now on. The ring is with it's owner now, so I won't complain about that. HH

Upvote 0

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well great for them and good recovery by you... remember "finders keepers"

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ouch that hurts 1000 bucks should have been there for you. Dont worry you'll find another just dont tell anyone sell it out of state x time happy hunting

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
You did not get the reward? That ring is probably available new right now. It didn't look custom to me. Since is is not custom and many have been made and are available for sale right now, I would have required proof that it was theirs, or they could give the 1k reward and both parties satisfied.

Total BS.

rykroll

Mar 26, 2014
Annapolis, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, SeaHunter Mark 2, Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I never return rings I am a straight pirate lol and you can’t trust people.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, it turns out that it really is a small world...or at least a small town. After finding a really nice diamond ring in a river a couple weeks ago, I showed it to my neighbor. He texted me a few days ago that his boss was at work complaining about how his daughter lost her engagement ring in the river while tubing, and that they were offering a $1000 reward. My neighbor gave my number to the daughter, who texted me a picture of her with the ring on, same ring. So today I met up with her and her fiance so I could return the ring. Turns out she almost drowned while losing it. As for the reward, she offered to buy me lunch. I declined. No $1000 reward for a $12,000 ring, the knees on my wetsuit are all ripped out from the rocks, and I got big painful scrapes on both of my shins. Guess I'll keep my big mouth shut from now on. The ring is with it's owner now, so I won't complain about that. HH

Sorry to hear, they should have given up at least 100.oo.

The good is, lesson learned and the ring is back where it belongs.

Over the years I've done a few returns, only one offered and gave me 100.oo. OOOo and I forgot, I found a ring for a guy last year which the gold ring belonged to his dad who had passed..got a hand shake and,...... free summer tomatoes for the rest of my life, or his...:occasion14:

claire

Nov 24, 2008
long island ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm V, MX 5, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did the right thing and she was lucky that there are good honest people like you!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a shame that she stiffed you and put a sour taste in your mouth about returning future finds. I've returned lots of lost items.....from keys to phones, to wedding rings and family heirlooms. I've also been stiffed a few times, but, the others were so appreciative and generous that they more than made up for the deadbeats.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Let's hope we all have that experience, cudamark.
I've returned items as well but nothing with any super value. I was offered $10 to find a cheap wedding band that wasn't even worth $10 but she was more than happy to pay me and the $10 went far for batteries and gas.
Another time, $20 for finding his stainless band. Paid as the ring changed hands and thanked over and over.
The best was a gold wedding band of a friend. He was just telling a story to a small group of buddies about how he got into a fight with wife and was going to fake pulling the ring off and throwing it and it actually came off and flew into some wood chips. He told me the area and I knew it well. It had just been re-landscaped and I found it quickly as no trash. I gave it to him the next time I saw him and he gave me $100. He never offered a reward, just a stand up kinda guy.

HH ALL

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had people get upset if I DIDN'T take a reward, so, I just let them decide what reward is appropriate. More often than not, they give me more than what I would have charged to conduct a search. The value of jewelry is all over the board and worth different things to different people. Some people just don't have the resources to offer a big reward......or any reward at all in some cases. I'll do the search regardless and am happy with whatever they offer. Whatever I get just helps offset the costs of supplies, gasoline, repairs, replacements, and staying up to date in this hobby.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, that sucks. Maybe your neighbor will put a bug in her dad's ear and HE will give her hell for being an ungrateful tool. Lunch? Really?

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so-shines-a-jk6phz.jpg

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never taken a reward - i believe in good karma - Ive made alot of returns over the years and I would say 4 out of 5 times I made one
I found another one pretty quick that day or first find the next. Some examples
Just showed up at resort right before sunset - was in a hurry to get in - guy stopped me and asked me to find his ring
found it really quick - next morning turned my machine on and stepped into the trough at sunrise - bang - first signal ...gold ring
attachment.php

took some time to find this one - guy kept insisting it was in one spot and it turned out to be like 50 yrds away
returned it and went back out to area i got it - bang - got another
attachment.php

this girls family was kind of snotty to me about searching for her ring - they were afraid i would find and pocket it
returned it and little while latter found a wedding band
attachment.php

found this guys pretty easy - soon as it flew off he stood right there and asked kids to run down beach and ask me to find
i circled outward from where he was and found like 5 ft away from him - few hrs later i got another wedding band
attachment.php

found and returned at sunset - next morning at sunrise ...stepped in and bang got a gold first target
attachment.php

these are just a few examples of ones i have pics of - many returns i got no pics
but ended up with same results - good karma

Hope good karma comes your way too!

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dad was offering the reward? Should have returned it to DAD

Jay Plunder

Aug 18, 2009
Southeastern, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plot twist: Neighbor comes home with a brand new BBQ grill and shopping bags full of goodies later that day....

ROIGuy

Jun 9, 2019
Palos Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600/ Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well you never know muffler, that reward money may find it's way to you one way or another. You did your part (even without proof it was HER'S. If they didn't do their part (after having offered) that's on them. Never look back!:key:

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never return rings I am a straight pirate lol and you can’t trust people.

Pirates are evil and horrible, do you want to retract your statement?

Also, Have you ever returned a wedding band? It’s very rewarding (as long as they are grateful!)

Sorry about the lame ring-loser. Sounds like the character of this person needs some adjustment!

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
In reality, you never had the $1000 reward in your hand, so you didn't lose it. You are still where you were at , but you should be happy to have done a " good deed !"
I have found & returned items of value, too. I have accepted $20 [ the most ] a couple of times & that was only due to the fact that it took a couple of us awhile to find it, or a good drive to get to the search area.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never taken a reward - i believe in good karma

I agree, but accepting a reward and being offered that reward are two different things. In this case, the girl should've acknowledged the value of what she lost and at least made a sincere offer, which niffler may have turned down anyway.
Kudos to niffler for the return regardless.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread