Best beach detector? - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Best beach detector?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Colonel

Jan 2014
    Central Florida
    CTX 3030; EQX 800; Excal II
    801 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by OBXmetalDet View Post
    Interesting because that is what I was really thinking about. I want to hear as many opinions as possible before I drop several hundred dollars on a detector.

If scuba diving is in your plans, then the Excal is the detector of choice. But, if only going down a few feet as stated in the OP, then the EQX is the best choice in my opinion
    cudamark likes this.
    ~The Challenge: Big Beach; Little Coil; Tiny Targets~

~"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"~ Leonardo da Vinci

~Pre-determined settings serve only to get you in the ballpark. It’s up to you to pick the best seat~

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    17978 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    I have the CTX, Excal II, and the Nox 800....

Went dirt digging yesterday - took my Tesoro Tejon.....
    OBN likes this.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    7313 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Thank you all for the feedback. I plan on getting certified again in scuba in about 2 weeks. I would like to take my detector offshore a little bit. And eventually maybe even pretty deep.
    In that case, I'd get the Excalibur
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC, CA
    XP Deus, Equinox 800 720i Stealth Scoop
    7265 times
    Equinox does better on low conductors.
    If diving a dedicated diving machine like the Excal is top choice. Handles flowing through the water better and dives deeper. As stated above everything else the Equinox then.
    Last edited by RustyGold; Aug 28, 2019 at 11:51 AM.
    OBN likes this.

We are not what we take, we are what we leave.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC, CA
    7265 times
    You may want to watch Calabash Digger’s video comparing the Equinox and Excal on low conductors.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FiqwmeWa_xw
    Last edited by RustyGold; Aug 28, 2019 at 11:45 AM.

Aug 2019
    1 times
    I should have been more clear and said that the type of terrain I would like to detect in terms of frequency are:

1. Salt water beaches (70%)
    2. Dry land (20%)
    3. Underwater (10%)

With this in mind, it looks like the Equinox 800 is the way to go. If I have this wrong, please let me know If you would like to add anything further, please do.

1. Looks like it comes with an 11” coil. There are other sized coils you can buy as an accessory. Should I consider buying another coil? If so, what size and why?
    2. Has anybody dove with the Equinox 800 below 10 feet? If so, at what depth and what happened? I ask just in case I accidentally end up diving below 10 feet, at let’s say 15 or 20 feet.
    3. Most detectors seem to detect from 5 to 10” below ground. I think somebody said the Equinox 800 can detect a few feet down. Is this really true? If you have an Equinox 800, how deep can you typically detect on a salt water beach?
    4. How deep can you typically detect underwater at 10 feet?
    Last edited by OBXmetalDet; Aug 30, 2019 at 04:41 PM.
    RustyGold likes this.

Aug 2019
    1 times
    I was reading an Amazon review about the Equinox 800. It said that the battery is built into the unit, but then it mentioned something about a rechargeable battery. The review said that if you need to replace it, the warranty will be voided. Can anybody comment on this?

Is the battery contained in the unit or is it on the outside? Is the battery rechargeable? If you have to replace the battery, how do you do that? When the battery runs out, what do you do to get a new one?

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    24088 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    The Equinox has a rechargeable battery. If you open the box, you void the warranty. I doubt you'll have a problem with the battery before you're ready for a new machine.

If you want an Equinox almost everyone I know had added an aftermarket lower shaft and 6" coil, so price will be about $1050.00.

They have a 3 year warranty.

It's good to 10', so if you want to scuba at all, you'll need an Excalibur. You might also check out the Detector Pro machines. They are advertisers here. I'm not extremely familiar with their products (I don't do water anymore.)

Is there a dealer you can drive to in order to test drive a machine?

OBN
    us
    Dec 2008
    Mid-Atlantic Waters
    Excalibur
    5401 times
    2019.....Gold rings..100..Misc/gold 9.....Silver/Sterling 239
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Battery is easy to change if needed. Seen a video on it, but like smokey said...it will last several years for sure. My guess would be in the 4 to 5 year range.
    RustyGold likes this.

Effort is Important, But knowing where, can make all the difference!

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2008
    S. Hutchinson Island
    Excaliber II with homemade straight shaft
    258 times
    Thank you all for the feedback. I plan on getting certified again in scuba in about 2 weeks. I would like to take my detector offshore a little bit. And eventually maybe even pretty deep.
    don't think the Nox is 100% waterproof, whereas the Excal is
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”-Mark Twain

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC, CA
    7265 times
    The Equinox is indeed 100% waterproof. At least mine are. Diving deeper than the recommended depth then I would go with the Excalibur.
    OBN likes this.

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    7313 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    I should have been more clear and said that the type of terrain I would like to detect in terms of frequency are:

1. Salt water beaches (70%)
    2. &nbspry land (20%)
    3. Underwater (10%)

With this in mind, it looks like the Equinox 800 is the way to go. If I have this wrong, please let me know If you would like to add anything further, please do.

1. Looks like it comes with an 11” coil. There are other sized coils you can buy as an accessory. Should I consider buying another coil? If so, what size and why?
    2. Has anybody dove with the Equinox 800 below 10 feet? If so, at what depth and what happened? I ask just in case I accidentally end up diving below 10 feet, at let’s say 15 or 20 feet.
    3. Most detectors seem to detect from 5 to 10” below ground. I think somebody said the Equinox 800 can detect a few feet down. Is this really true? If you have an Equinox 800, how deep can you typically detect on a salt water beach?
    4. How deep can you typically detect underwater at 10 feet?
    1. Like all detectors, having a variety of coils helps in certain circumstances. In typical beach hunting with vast amounts of open sand, I recommend the 15" coil. Around the fire rings, the 6". Land hunting will depend on the amount of trash and obstacles.
    2. I don't know how Minelab would determine how deep you dove if your machine flooded. Anyone?
    3. Target size, coil size, and ground conditions will determine how deep you can detect a target. I find it as deep or deeper than any other VLF machine I've used.
    4. Same answer as #3.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

ua
    Stav Ruslan Stavrscoop.com

Nov 2008
    Odessa
    Excalibur 1000 & Explorer XS & GQAS v.2 Eric Foster &Eureka Gold & PI Dolphin (HM 9μS)
    57 times
    Excalibur - my main MD tool & Stavr scoop
    Excalibur 10" coil .since 2001.
    Explorer XS .since 2001.coil 10'',detech 10x14'',detech 4,5x7'',coiltek 15'',coiltek 12x8 platypus
    Stavr's water sand scoop Evroexcavator-2 v.22
    stavrscoop.com

Aug 2019
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cudamark View Post
    1. Like all detectors, having a variety of coils helps in certain circumstances. In typical beach hunting with vast amounts of open sand, I recommend the 15" coil. Around the fire rings, the 6". Land hunting will depend on the amount of trash and obstacles.
    2. I don't know how Minelab would determine how deep you dove if your machine flooded. Anyone?
    3. Target size, coil size, and ground conditions will determine how deep you can detect a target. I find it as deep or deeper than any other VLF machine I've used.
    4. Same answer as #3.
    What do you mean by fire rings? I looked it up but I couldn't find any information on that term.

Aug 2019
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeythecat View Post
    The Equinox has a rechargeable battery. If you open the box, you void the warranty. I doubt you'll have a problem with the battery before you're ready for a new machine.

If you want an Equinox almost everyone I know had added an aftermarket lower shaft and 6" coil, so price will be about $1050.00.

They have a 3 year warranty.

It's good to 10', so if you want to scuba at all, you'll need an Excalibur. You might also check out the Detector Pro machines. They are advertisers here. I'm not extremely familiar with their products (I don't do water anymore.)

Is there a dealer you can drive to in order to test drive a machine?
    What does the aftermarket lower shaft do? Does it extend the shaft that comes with the Equinox? What is the benefit to buying a 6" coil? Remember, I am primarily planning on doing salt water beach detecting.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links