Best beach detector?

OBXmetalDet

Aug 25, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am looking to get into metal detecting. I have read some books and websites. I am still uncertain about the featuers I should get based on what I plan on metal detecting for.

Mainly I intend to detect on ocean beaches for rings and coins (anything else that can be found on a beach).
I would also like to do some detecting on land.

I am looking for a detector with the following characteristics:
Waterproof (completely submersible)
Able to detect a few feet below the surface
Ability to handle multiple frequencies

I have searched the sites for Garrett and other reputable companies but I just can’t find anything that has these exact characteristics unless I overlooked something.
With all of this in mind, what detectors would you recommend?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
O

OBXmetalDet

Aug 25, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should have been more clear and said that the type of terrain I would like to detect in terms of frequency are:

1. Salt water beaches (70%)
2. Dry land (20%)
3. Underwater (10%)

With this in mind, it looks like the Equinox 800 is the way to go. If I have this wrong, please let me know If you would like to add anything further, please do.

1. Looks like it comes with an 11” coil. There are other sized coils you can buy as an accessory. Should I consider buying another coil? If so, what size and why?
2. Has anybody dove with the Equinox 800 below 10 feet? If so, at what depth and what happened? I ask just in case I accidentally end up diving below 10 feet, at let’s say 15 or 20 feet.
3. Most detectors seem to detect from 5 to 10” below ground. I think somebody said the Equinox 800 can detect a few feet down. Is this really true? If you have an Equinox 800, how deep can you typically detect on a salt water beach?
4. How deep can you typically detect underwater at 10 feet?

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

OBXmetalDet

Aug 25, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was reading an Amazon review about the Equinox 800. It said that the battery is built into the unit, but then it mentioned something about a rechargeable battery. The review said that if you need to replace it, the warranty will be voided. Can anybody comment on this?

Is the battery contained in the unit or is it on the outside? Is the battery rechargeable? If you have to replace the battery, how do you do that? When the battery runs out, what do you do to get a new one?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Equinox has a rechargeable battery. If you open the box, you void the warranty. I doubt you'll have a problem with the battery before you're ready for a new machine.

If you want an Equinox almost everyone I know had added an aftermarket lower shaft and 6" coil, so price will be about $1050.00.

They have a 3 year warranty.

It's good to 10', so if you want to scuba at all, you'll need an Excalibur. You might also check out the Detector Pro machines. They are advertisers here. I'm not extremely familiar with their products (I don't do water anymore.)

Is there a dealer you can drive to in order to test drive a machine?

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Battery is easy to change if needed. Seen a video on it, but like smokey said...it will last several years for sure. My guess would be in the 4 to 5 year range.

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the feedback. I plan on getting certified again in scuba in about 2 weeks. I would like to take my detector offshore a little bit. And eventually maybe even pretty deep.

don't think the Nox is 100% waterproof, whereas the Excal is

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The Equinox is indeed 100% waterproof. At least mine are. Diving deeper than the recommended depth then I would go with the Excalibur.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should have been more clear and said that the type of terrain I would like to detect in terms of frequency are:

1. Salt water beaches (70%)
2.  Dry land (20%)
3. Underwater (10%)

With this in mind, it looks like the Equinox 800 is the way to go. If I have this wrong, please let me know If you would like to add anything further, please do.

1. Looks like it comes with an 11” coil. There are other sized coils you can buy as an accessory. Should I consider buying another coil? If so, what size and why?
2. Has anybody dove with the Equinox 800 below 10 feet? If so, at what depth and what happened? I ask just in case I accidentally end up diving below 10 feet, at let’s say 15 or 20 feet.
3. Most detectors seem to detect from 5 to 10” below ground. I think somebody said the Equinox 800 can detect a few feet down. Is this really true? If you have an Equinox 800, how deep can you typically detect on a salt water beach?
4. How deep can you typically detect underwater at 10 feet?

1. Like all detectors, having a variety of coils helps in certain circumstances. In typical beach hunting with vast amounts of open sand, I recommend the 15" coil. Around the fire rings, the 6". Land hunting will depend on the amount of trash and obstacles.
2. I don't know how Minelab would determine how deep you dove if your machine flooded. Anyone?
3. Target size, coil size, and ground conditions will determine how deep you can detect a target. I find it as deep or deeper than any other VLF machine I've used.
4. Same answer as #3.

stavr

Nov 9, 2008
Odessa
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 & Explorer XS & GQAS v.2 Eric Foster &Eureka Gold & PI Dolphin (HM 9μS)
Excalibur - my main MD tool & scoop :)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
O

OBXmetalDet

Aug 25, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. Like all detectors, having a variety of coils helps in certain circumstances. In typical beach hunting with vast amounts of open sand, I recommend the 15" coil. Around the fire rings, the 6". Land hunting will depend on the amount of trash and obstacles.
2. I don't know how Minelab would determine how deep you dove if your machine flooded. Anyone?
3. Target size, coil size, and ground conditions will determine how deep you can detect a target. I find it as deep or deeper than any other VLF machine I've used.
4. Same answer as #3.

What do you mean by fire rings? I looked it up but I couldn't find any information on that term.

OP
OP
O

OBXmetalDet

Aug 25, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Equinox has a rechargeable battery. If you open the box, you void the warranty. I doubt you'll have a problem with the battery before you're ready for a new machine.

If you want an Equinox almost everyone I know had added an aftermarket lower shaft and 6" coil, so price will be about $1050.00.

They have a 3 year warranty.

It's good to 10', so if you want to scuba at all, you'll need an Excalibur. You might also check out the Detector Pro machines. They are advertisers here. I'm not extremely familiar with their products (I don't do water anymore.)

Is there a dealer you can drive to in order to test drive a machine?

What does the aftermarket lower shaft do? Does it extend the shaft that comes with the Equinox? What is the benefit to buying a 6" coil? Remember, I am primarily planning on doing salt water beach detecting.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you mean by fire rings? I looked it up but I couldn't find any information on that term.

Around here and most beaches I've hunted, there are designated areas to have a campfire. They're usually surrounded by a steel reinforced concrete ring or square barrier to keep the fire contained. Unfortunately, there are people who bring pallets (or other wood/construction debris) there to burn. Those pallets are put together with nails, screws, and staples which end up in the sand all around that area. Some people also toss their aluminum cans and other metal trash into the fire also. Having a tiny coil and a quick recovery speed will help isolate each target so the detector can analyze them and relay that information to you. The larger coils can be overwhelmed with multiple targets and not give you a clean enough signal to decide to dig or not. Having an extra lower shaft with each coil helps cut down the time it takes to swap them out. The carbon fiber ones are also more rigid, so, they cut down on the flex and rubbery feel of the plastic shafts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread