Best beach detector?

OBXmetalDet

Aug 25, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am looking to get into metal detecting. I have read some books and websites. I am still uncertain about the featuers I should get based on what I plan on metal detecting for.

Mainly I intend to detect on ocean beaches for rings and coins (anything else that can be found on a beach).
I would also like to do some detecting on land.

I am looking for a detector with the following characteristics:
Waterproof (completely submersible)
Able to detect a few feet below the surface
Ability to handle multiple frequencies

I have searched the sites for Garrett and other reputable companies but I just can’t find anything that has these exact characteristics unless I overlooked something.
With all of this in mind, what detectors would you recommend?

Upvote 0

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome to tnet . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .:hello: I am sure someone will chime in. lotsa new detectors with those specs and some excellent old ones as well

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Bold Coast & Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Blue Excal 1000, Enox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Equinox 800. I have the Excalibur and it is an awesome beach and underwater machine. But I wanted to do as you said, both water and land. I picked up the 800 and couldn't be happier.

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have the 800 and 2 Excalibur. I'll take the Excal all day long. It's a no brainier.

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Equinox 800. I have the Excalibur and it is an awesome beach and underwater machine. But I wanted to do as you said, both water and land. I picked up the 800 and couldn't be happier.

The Excal is also a great dry and wet sand machine. Only draw back is you don't get the VDI numbers with an Excal.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Equinox 800. I’ve owned and used two Excals. Great for diving but the 800 smacks it on the sand both dry and damp and is pleasure to use anywhere on land. Plus less investment dollars for a faster machine that doesn’t null out before it recovers in time to find that good target next to iron.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
I've hunted Florida beaches for more than a few years using the Excal 2, CTX and the EQX 800 extensively and exclusively. Given your criteria:
Waterproof (completely submersible): All three-Check
Able to detect a few feet below the surface: All three - Check
Ability to handle multiple frequencies: All three - Check

My personal preference given that all three hit your mark however is for the EQX:

~ Faster processor than the other two which provides greater separation capability...separation being the ability to pick out the good targets when lying close to ferrous material. You'll come to love that advantage
~ Much more sensitive to small targets than the other two...I can and have picked up small linked chains with my EQX that the Excal and CTX would have passed right over...there's just no comparison and you'll come to love that advantage.
~ Simpler to use for the first timer but can be tailored easily to meet virtually any situation...you'll come to love that advantage.
~ Much lighter than the other two...by several pounds. After multiple hours on the beach, you'll come to love that advantage.
~ $800 for the EQX vs $1500 for the Excal and $2500 for the CTX...prices for new detectors...used ones can be had for significantly less. You'll really love that advantage.

Just a view thoughts from my foxhole...it's 2018 technology in the EQX vs 2008 and 2012 technology = faster, lighter, smaller and cheaper. Advantage; EQX.

I could go into the EQX multi IQ system vs the BBS system of the Excal and the FBS system of the CTX but I think the main advantages based on your stated criteria goes to the EQX.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My top picks would be the Equinox, CTX, and Excalibur, in that order, for the type of detecting you plan on doing.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unless you plan to SCUBA, Minelab Equinox is the BIG BANG for the money, and outclasses some that are more expensive. Best of luck and Big Gold!:occasion14:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I think I posted this some where else,

Me, I would recommend the Nox for it does all the work for you and fast.
Where as the Excalibur requires a very skilled person to match or better the Nox's performance.

OP
OP
O

OBXmetalDet

Aug 25, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Interesting because that is what I was really thinking about. I want to hear as many opinions as possible before I drop several hundred dollars on a detector.

OP
OP
O

OBXmetalDet

Aug 25, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the feedback. I plan on getting certified again in scuba in about 2 weeks. I would like to take my detector offshore a little bit. And eventually maybe even pretty deep.

OP
OP
O

OBXmetalDet

Aug 25, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've hunted Florida beaches for more than a few years using the Excal 2, CTX and the EQX 800 extensively and exclusively. Given your criteria:
Waterproof (completely submersible): All three-Check
Able to detect a few feet below the surface: All three - Check
Ability to handle multiple frequencies: All three - Check

My personal preference given that all three hit your mark however is for the EQX:

~ Faster processor than the other two which provides greater separation capability...separation being the ability to pick out the good targets when lying close to ferrous material. You'll come to love that advantage
~ Much more sensitive to small targets than the other two...I can and have picked up small linked chains with my EQX that the Excal and CTX would have passed right over...there's just no comparison and you'll come to love that advantage.
~ Simpler to use for the first timer but can be tailored easily to meet virtually any situation...you'll come to love that advantage.
~ Much lighter than the other two...by several pounds. After multiple hours on the beach, you'll come to love that advantage.
~ $800 for the EQX vs $1500 for the Excal and $2500 for the CTX...prices for new detectors...used ones can be had for significantly less. You'll really love that advantage.

Just a view thoughts from my foxhole...it's 2018 technology in the EQX vs 2008 and 2012 technology = faster, lighter, smaller and cheaper. Advantage; EQX.

I could go into the EQX multi IQ system vs the BBS system of the Excal and the FBS system of the CTX but I think the main advantages based on your stated criteria goes to the EQX.

I would like to hunt Florida beaches too. How much luck have you had there? Have you found any Spanish coins?

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
OBXmetalDet, Spanish coins are still being found but the conditions have to be right...storm erosion creates the best conditions. Our beaches along the treasure coast haven’t been stripped of their sand in quite awhile.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Interesting because that is what I was really thinking about. I want to hear as many opinions as possible before I drop several hundred dollars on a detector.

If scuba diving is in your plans, then the Excal is the detector of choice. But, if only going down a few feet as stated in the OP, then the EQX is the best choice in my opinion

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I have the CTX, Excal II, and the Nox 800....

Went dirt digging yesterday - took my Tesoro Tejon.....

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the feedback. I plan on getting certified again in scuba in about 2 weeks. I would like to take my detector offshore a little bit. And eventually maybe even pretty deep.

In that case, I'd get the Excalibur

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Equinox does better on low conductors.
If diving a dedicated diving machine like the Excal is top choice. Handles flowing through the water better and dives deeper. As stated above everything else the Equinox then.

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
You may want to watch Calabash Digger’s video comparing the Equinox and Excal on low conductors.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread