Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went down to hunt some Ct. water - beach that was very good to me yrs ago.
Was hoping for some fresh drops but this spot gets hammered by many locals- been times
in the past that I got nothing fresh because locals got there day before me.
I got there at sunrise low tide. As soon as I got in I could see recent digs and I thought I would not get much.
I went out as far as I could and started getting quarters down about a foot deep...don't know if
they were from this year or last. I got a faint reading near one of the other guys holes and thought I
had my first gold but turned out to be well made bling. I then got a ring I thought was junk and
it turned out to be 925. I don't have pics cause my fave camera's battery finally stopped charging -
have to try and get a new battery for it - have been using it for most of my pics for the last
15 yrs. I had a back up - it has a micro chip - took some pics but when I put it into my multi
chip reader - it fell in some how and I now have a rattle. I got way more coins than I thought I would
get - lot of quarters out far and deep. I got a susan B. $ which was a surprise. Got a lot of
junk earrings that others discriminated - plated steel ones. Before the tide came in I headed to
an area that Ive gotten deep deep oldies at that others seem to fly over...mostly newbies that are just
going for fresh drops and crank their discrim. so they don't get the depth needed to get down to get
the old stuff . This area is in waist deep water so its not out of their reach water wise
. I slow down to a crawl in this small area and go for whispers in all metal mode - its tuff cause its rocky
once you get past a foot of sand - that and there are some deep large iron pieces down like 3+ feet you have to work
around. I did and got rewarded with some silver coins and a couple of buffalos - 1918 & 1924 in pretty
good shape for salt water - silvers were a worn std Lib. quarter - 1942 sil.Wash. - 1936 Merc & a 1952 Roos.
so day was not a total loss and was happy just to get out.

Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like a great time Mr Casper. And silver is always welcome!

califteacher

Sep 30, 2012
Vista, San Diego County, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Interesting post--thank you for the detailed description. I helps to be in someone else's shoes and see what they do in a given situation. The fact that you slowed down and used a careful search method is a good lesson for us all. You found some nice, old coins that must have been sitting there for over half a century, just waiting for you.

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saw a guy with his, probably, grandson down Guilford way the other day. They had on of the elcheapo kids detector. They were having a blast as the Lil guy was finding pennies and dimes all over the place. Gramps didn't seem to be the detecting type and wanted to leave but the youngster wouldn't have none of it. Got a kick watching them.

Glad your getting the deep water ones..... I'd prob drown myself, so leave some goodies for me in the knee deep trough he he

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting post--thank you for the detailed description. I helps to be in someone else's shoes and see what they do in a given situation. The fact that you slowed down and used a careful search method is a good lesson for us all. You found some nice, old coins that must have been sitting there for over half a century, just waiting for you.
there are times and places that you may have to cover ground quickly and get what you can - then there are times you should slow down and get all that you can - I went with intent on getting fresh drops - hoping for fresh gold - so went for old gold ...not to be but got old silver :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest: