TDI BeachHunter vs Surfmaster Dual Field
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: TDI BeachHunter vs Surfmaster Dual Field

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Feb 2018
    Florida
    Tesoro Sand Shark
    62 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

TDI BeachHunter vs Surfmaster Dual Field

I currently hunt with a Tesoro Sand Shark and I'm looking for more depth and a larger coil to cover more ground. Having two little ones and going back to college again has taken a lot of time away from hunting so I'm looking to maximize my time out there.

I haven't been able to find much comparing the two and can't find the Dual Field on Whites site anymore. Is the TDI BeachHunter replacing the Dual field? Is the almost 400 difference between the two worth it?

I've used the dual field twice and found it would false as I would swing towards the water or when a wave would approach the coil, is that normal with the TDI BH as well?

Thank you in advance!

Charter Member
    us
    TerrysKnifeStore.com

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000; Equinox 600 -- Teknetics EuroTek PRO -- Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger -- Bunk's Hermit Pick
    22729 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    TDI is a POS. Dual Field is same-same as the Shark. Step away from the PI and get the Minelab Equinox. You do NOT need more depth!

ua
    Stav Ruslan Stavrscoop.com

Nov 2008
    Odessa
    Excalibur 1000 & Explorer XS & GQAS v.2 Eric Foster &Eureka Gold & PI Dolphin (HM 9μS)
    57 times
    Dechert360
    on well-cleaned beaches, depth is the main factor!
    Do not listen to anyone and choose TDI BH if you have the health to dig deep holes with a scoop and your beaches are very "clean" ...
    all these "gurus" of forums will dissuade you ... because with the equinox there is nothing to do where you went professionally with TDI (except for very small goals and small chains)
    ps: Dual Field =Sand Shark
    compass, sandmartin and Dechert360 like this.
    Excalibur 10" coil .since 2001.
    Explorer XS .since 2001.coil 10'',detech 10x14'',detech 4,5x7'',coiltek 15'',coiltek 12x8 platypus
    Stavr's water sand scoop Evroexcavator-2 v.22
    stavrscoop.com

us
    Dec 2011
    71 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Dechert360 View Post
    I currently hunt with a Tesoro Sand Shark and I'm looking for more depth and a larger coil to cover more ground. Having two little ones and going back to college again has taken a lot of time away from hunting so I'm looking to maximize my time out there.

I haven't been able to find much comparing the two and can't find the Dual Field on Whites site anymore. Is the TDI BeachHunter replacing the Dual field? Is the almost 400 difference between the two worth it?

I've used the dual field twice and found it would false as I would swing towards the water or when a wave would approach the coil, is that normal with the TDI BH as well?

Thank you in advance!
    The sand shark has pulse delay of 19.5 as best I can tell, the dual field goes down to 15, and the TDI goes down to 10. The lower the pulse delay, the deeper the machine goes, but with much more susceptibility to interference from wave action or current. And the larger the coil, the more susceptible to wave action and current noise.

The TDI Beachcomber has a very smooth threshold, the dual field is noisier. Wave induced noise is probably similar in the dual field and the TDI at the same pulse delay, given any machine SAT differences.

On wet sand, the TDI is easily usable for extreme depth at a delay of near 10, but it is a challenge to use it in the surf at these settings, and the delay has to be turned up to near 15 in most situations.

What all this means is that if you detect mainly in the surf, the dual field should give you most of the performance of the TDI at lower cost. But if you do a lot of wet sand detecting, the extra depth and crude high/low discrimination of the TDI may be worth the extra money.

HH

Charles

us
    Jan 2014
    Orange County, California
    Minelab Sovereign GT w/10"x 12" SEF Butterfly Coil
    296 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Good info Charles, way more informative than "Its a POS"
    compass likes this.

us
    Feb 2018
    Florida
    Tesoro Sand Shark
    62 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Soloman View Post
    TDI is a POS. Dual Field is same-same as the Shark. Step away from the PI and get the Minelab Equinox. You do NOT need more depth!
    I had an Equinox for a short time but didn't like going out there without the extra depth. Sorry Terry but I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you. I want more depth, I'm young and in shape so digging all day and digging deep doesn't bother me. I love my pi's.

us
    Feb 2018
    Florida
    Tesoro Sand Shark
    62 times
    Quote Originally Posted by stavr View Post
    Dechert360
    on well-cleaned beaches, depth is the main factor!
    Do not listen to anyone and choose TDI BH if you have the health to dig deep holes with a scoop and your beaches are very "clean" ...
    all these "gurus" of forums will dissuade you ... because with the equinox there is nothing to do where you went professionally with TDI (except for very small goals and small chains)
    ps: Dual Field =Sand Shark

This is exactly it, I don’t have any problem going behind other detectorists. I go slow and drag my coil and listen for all the whispers. I went out with my father this weekend and we counted 18 other people out there Detecting.

us
    Feb 2018
    Florida
    Tesoro Sand Shark
    62 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sonnar28 View Post
    The sand shark has pulse delay of 19.5 as best I can tell, the dual field goes down to 15, and the TDI goes down to 10. The lower the pulse delay, the deeper the machine goes, but with much more susceptibility to interference from wave action or current. And the larger the coil, the more susceptible to wave action and current noise.

The TDI Beachcomber has a very smooth threshold, the dual field is noisier. Wave induced noise is probably similar in the dual field and the TDI at the same pulse delay, given any machine SAT differences.

On wet sand, the TDI is easily usable for extreme depth at a delay of near 10, but it is a challenge to use it in the surf at these settings, and the delay has to be turned up to near 15 in most situations.

What all this means is that if you detect mainly in the surf, the dual field should give you most of the performance of the TDI at lower cost. But if you do a lot of wet sand detecting, the extra depth and crude high/low discrimination of the TDI may be worth the extra money.

HH

Charles

This is exactly what I was hoping to learn. I don’t know what else to say except thank you so much Charles. I do quite a bit of wet sand detecting so this is the determine factor. Looks like a TDI will be in my future!
    compass likes this.

us
    Feb 2018
    Florida
    Tesoro Sand Shark
    62 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sonnar28 View Post

HH

Charles

This is exactly what I was hoping to learn. I donít know what else to say except thank you so much Charles. I do quite a bit of wet sand detecting so this is the determine factor. Looks like a TDI will be in my future!

OBN
    us
    Dec 2008
    Mid-Atlantic Waters
    Excalibur
    5404 times
    2019.....Gold rings..100..Misc/gold 9.....Silver/Sterling 239
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Waiting, or still waiting for the Fisher "AQ" here.

I have faith in this team!! Specially Carl..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	w8vkuo.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	622.1 KB 
ID:	1751132
    Last edited by OBN; Sep 10, 2019 at 05:59 AM.
    Terry Soloman and bottlebum like this.

Effort is Important, But knowing where, can make all the difference!

ua

Nov 2008
    Odessa
    Excalibur 1000 & Explorer XS & GQAS v.2 Eric Foster &Eureka Gold & PI Dolphin (HM 9μS)
    57 times
    OBN, to be honest ... then I donít believe the Fisher"AQ"project (more precisely, I donít expect anything extraordinary from them, itís another dull md ...)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dndbfo10.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	156.2 KB 
ID:	1751587
    I already see some serious mistakes that won't make a hit! IMHO of course
    if this team is interested in my opinion, I will answer their questions with a glass of beer or wine ...
    Ruslan.
    Last edited by stavr; Sep 11, 2019 at 02:10 AM.
    Explorer XS .since 2001.coil 10'',detech 10x14'',detech 4,5x7'',coiltek 15'',coiltek 12x8 platypus
    stavrscoop.com

Feb 2019
    Carson City NV
    Equinox 800, AT Pro
    655 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Soloman View Post
    The Nox can’t hunt black sand. I’ve got a lot of beach I can’t cover with the Nox due to overload. Even turning down sensitivity to the single digits.

ua

Nov 2008
    Odessa
    57 times
    VLF devices do not work on black sand
    stavrscoop.com

us
    Mar 2012
    Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
    Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3). Detecting since 1972.
    724 times
    If there's a lot of junk on a beach I use CZ21. When the going is less trashy I pull out the Dual field....and start digging.....

us
    Jan 2011
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dechert360 View Post

Thank you in advance!
    If "POS" means "pulse on steroids", I agree! I used the Dual Field for several years with great success in the wet sand, black sand and surf. I'm still learning the TDI but it seems to be more sensitive to smaller and deeper gold and performs better in the black sand (with proper settings). I have often referred to my TDI as the Dual Field on steroids.
    Jim in MA and Mudflap like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links