Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I was at the Treasure Coast on Wednesday 4 September...right after Dorian left our area.

All along A1A many, if not most of the small access points were locked and some actually had police cars blocking entry. Surfers were parking along the road side and making their way to the beach through heavy thicket!

We were able to get to Bonsteel and it was a bust. Mushy sand throughout. The expected erosion was just not there. Numerous detectors were there however. Comparing results, only one that I met found anything of note. A small silver Reale about thumbnail size and paper thin.

Obviously, I couldn’t see the entire Treasure Coast but Dorian did us no great favors where we were and we covered a pretty extensive distance. Other areas may have been better suited for hunting but again, the areas we saw were covered with soft mushy sand and no notable targets other than a few modern coins. :dontknow:

The most important favor Dorian did for us Florida coast dwellers however was staying so far off our coast and sparing us the damage it could have done. Having gone through my share of hurricanes, I am eternally grateful for such favors! Thank God!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my mind, the treasure was not taking the hit that was expected from Dorian. Sorry the beaches didn't give the treasure up!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for sharing, I think sharing this kind of info shows that we dream treasure jumping up on the beach's and being a easy find. But rarely does it happen, but maybe once in a lifetime and for only a few lucky souls.

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
S. Hutchinson Island similar, no deep cuts due to lack of strong north wind, and new sand already moved in.

OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Thanks for sharing, I think sharing this kind of info shows that we dream treasure jumping up on the beach's and being a easy find. But rarely does it happen, but maybe once in a lifetime and for only a few lucky souls.

Yes indeed! Many who come here on vacation some how think ship wreck treasure is just laying around on our beaches for easy pickins. Davey Jones doesn’t give up his treasure so easily...this from 32 years of Florida living 8-)

Sahara007

Jul 14, 2019
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab 3030 ctx
Minelab gpx 4800
Garrett AT Pro
Tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes indeed! Many who come here on vacation some how think ship wreck treasure is just laying around on our beaches for easy pickins. Davey Jones doesn’t give up his treasure so easily...this from 32 years of Florida living 8-)
I have been wanting to hunt for 30 years on treasure coast was down there this July on vacation and didn’t get to bring my detector because we ended up flying on short notice but I did get to visit Mel Fisher museum in Sebastian on went to turtle trail beach for couple hours all along thinking how fun it be swinging a detector whether I found anything or not

Digger_O'Dell

May 11, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the report. Glad to hear that damage was minimal.
I was there on vacations some while back and hit those beaches hard every day for 3 weeks, only finding the remains of a sword that could only be identified by xray through the corrosion. What I wouldn't give to find even 1 Spanish coin!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last time I hunted that stretch after a storm an elderly couple down the way working a cut behind Disney Resort pulled a hell of a whammy... Gold escudo...

First estimate came in at 60 to 80 grand.

ctdirtdigger

May 14, 2015
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Excalibur (2), GPX 4500, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks ColonelDan for the report, I have to admit I've had fantasies of running down there after a storm and finding gold !! Were you on the Treasure Coast just for the day or were you able to stay in the area ?

OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Thanks ColonelDan for the report, I have to admit I've had fantasies of running down there after a storm and finding gold !! Were you on the Treasure Coast just for the day or were you able to stay in the area ?

I live about an hour away so we're here fairly regularly.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good report better to be safe above all else

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread