Treasure Coast Questions

NowandThenTreasures

Jul 23, 2014
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My question is: those lucky enough to swing a coil along the treasure coast and find a Spanish coin, what is the condition range of these 300 year old coins/cobs?
I imagine the gold ones hold up better in salty conditions than do the silver cobs?
Are the silver ones mostly found in conglomerates? Are any of the silver ones in decent condition?

Upvote 0

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Most of the silver ones found on our beaches are encrusted, dark and some almost unrecognizable. Having said that, I don't know that there is an average condition that one could expect to find them in. I've seen some that were encased in conglomerates while others have been singular finds. The one found on 4 Sep was black but with good detail definition on the design about thumbnail size and about as thin.

Gold on the other hand comes out of the sand pretty much like the day it went into the sand.

Just the view from my foxhole...

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What colonelDan said.....could be barely identifiable to great condition on the silver...gold stays gold.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20190901_150439.jpg this one was black but you could still make out the cross. On the other side I could see the bars in the crest pretty clearly.....but.....I can see how they could be mistaken as junk too. They can also have alot of sand and shell stuck to them....this one didn't. I found this 173? Piece of 8 on Saturday when the storm was approaching......strong offshore winds swept the beach clean and I could finally hunt without 3 feet of seaweed !! 20190902_212036.jpg
20190904_122807.jpg
You would be surprised at what's hidden under that crust and with a little patience they can be made mountable for jewelry. Heres both sides only 10 minutes after digging. 20190904_125108.jpg
20190901_150424.jpg
Now if you find one you wont skip it back to sea like the old timers did. Hope that helps a little. Oh ya.....the weight will help too, there pretty heavy for there size.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NowandThenTreasures

NowandThenTreasures

Jul 23, 2014
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that would be a huge adrenaline rush finding a coin like that! How did you clean the black cob to bring out the shiny silver details ? Did you have to be extra careful or just use some silver polish?

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very carefully with the tin foil and baking soda method. sometimes it might take 15-20 treatments like this to get the results I want.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll take black encrusted treasure silver any day good luck to all of you

OP
OP
NowandThenTreasures

NowandThenTreasures

Jul 23, 2014
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will have to try that aluminum foil-baking soda method on some badly tarnished silver rings I've found. Many thanks and good luck out there!

ExcalSam

Sep 8, 2019
Davie, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 1000
Primary Interest:
What about electrolysis? Would that be a reasonable method?

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes....I wish I had my own set up. Guess I should build one. Sure would save alot of time and probably get better results. Some of these guys here know alot more than I do about that, but I'm ready to build a rig and give it a try.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard ExcalSam

ExcalSam

Sep 8, 2019
Davie, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 1000
Primary Interest:
Thank you Blak bart and A2coins! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

ROIGuy

Jun 9, 2019
Palos Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600/ Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the site and here's an electrolysis video I used to get set up.
In my view, the most important thing was to make sure I'm using a low voltage plug and wires. I'm a beginner and the last thing I want to do is kill myself by electrocution trying to de-crud some coins.
That'd give my wife the final upper hand in our relationship :laughing7:

OP
OP
NowandThenTreasures

NowandThenTreasures

Jul 23, 2014
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI For 1715 Fleet fans out there, Just noticed the Discovery channel is revisiting the Treasure Coast on the next episode of Exhibition Unknown next Wednesday at 9pm ET/ 8pm Central time. Looks like it's possibly about the fleet flagship? Guessing they might show the canon that was recovered and brought to Ft Pierce last year?

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI For 1715 Fleet fans out there, Just noticed the Discovery channel is revisiting the Treasure Coast on the next episode of Exhibition Unknown next Wednesday at 9pm ET/ 8pm Central time. Looks like it's possibly about the fleet flagship? Guessing they might show the canon that was recovered and brought to Ft Pierce last year?

Many thanks :)

OP
OP
NowandThenTreasures

NowandThenTreasures

Jul 23, 2014
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought of a couple other questions,

1) can a person legally "go shelling" in the water along the treasure coast, say with a hand held sand scoop & snorkel, but no metal detector ? I know the odds are against you, but is it legal in Florida?

2) where in Florida can you detect in the water? Is it ok say Cocoa Beach and to the north? How far south of Ft Pierce do you have to go to metal detect in the water? What about detecting in the water in Indian River or do claims extend there too? Where is their GPS or map info on locations of the salvage claims?

FloridaSon

Sep 29, 2018
Between Half Reale Beach and Nuestra Seflora de La
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
1. Yes. In fact you can dive on shipwrecks without a metal detector but stay away from the salvage boats. And you probably will get questioned. You probably won’t see much except blast holes and visibility is usually low. Fall bait run right now can bring sharks to the breaking surf. Don’t play at dawn or dusk.

2. On the East Central 'Treasure Coast' coast stay out of the water with a metal detector at any of the so called treasure beaches. Plenty of maps online and on this forum. Also stay off the dunes. No claims on Indian River afaik but the state Owns the River bottom and says anything over 50 years it’s an archeological specimen and they own it. You can’t even keep sea turtle bones (as I found out once). Learn about our rip currents. Stay safe have fun. From the toe of the dinner to the low water line is what I keep reading is ok.

Resources: Look at treasure net forums for "Legal Issues" and this blog has years of tips, finds, commentary just use the search feature: http://treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com

Last edited:
OP
OP
NowandThenTreasures

NowandThenTreasures

Jul 23, 2014
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great info! Many thanks!
Do you need scuba gear for all the shipwrecks or can you reach certain 1715 shipwrecks with just a snorkel?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread