west suburbs of chicago(lombard)
Detector(s) used
etrac nox600

garret pp
lesche diggers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello all
Im pretty good at detecting dry land. I got the 600 to beach hunt. Im planning on going to the Chicago beaches fresh water. I was there there this weekend and had a hard time getting targets out. I was at the waters edge in soft sand and the hole just kept filling up. I have a pretty good scoop so size is not an issue. where should I look to dig now that I am able to go in the water. Hope this is not a repeat question.
Thanks in advance for all the responses

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be a couple things. First, have you set out a couple targets on top of the wet sand to make sure it's reading them ok? If so, I noticed on my 600 which I no longer have that the pinpointer on it wasn't very accurate. If you expand your hole a little, that might help. Sometimes a coin especially will slip down to the bottom and try to escape that way. Even though the pinpointers on them are a little off, they are not that far off you should not be having a problem.

Try the targets on wet sand and see what it tells you. It should work ok.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Stand back on shore at a distance, look for the dark area's in the water. Or just walk out and look for gravel, low spots, hard pan areas or a target lane. My favorite beach's in Chicago, 12th street beach, and Oak street beach. Then you have the rivers. My next trip there I want to Hit a old amusement park. Electric Park, Plainfield Ill. Been gone for a long time but has to be something in the water there....I would be hunting right at that slide..Wow!
Electric_Park_Plainfield_IL_00.jpg
https://drloihjournal.blogspot.com/2017/01/electric-park-amusement-park-plainfield.html
Electric_Park_Plainfield_IL_04.jpg

I did a vacation there a few years ago and came home with a honker...found at Oak street beach..
644.oo melt...
OBN0003.jpg
I need to get back there someday! I just need to kidnap my friend Mr Casper for a few weeks.

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IT'S A DATE!--I wanted to head that way this year but only got 2 days of vacay left - trying to save for a Fla. trip
BUT...if you want to head out there next year - Im in!

Stand back on shore at a distance, look for the dark area's in the water. Or just walk out and look for gravel, low spots, hard pan areas or a target lane. My favorite beach's in Chicago, 12th street beach, and Oak street beach. Then you have the rivers. My next trip there I want to Hit a old amusement park. Electric Park, Plainfield Ill. Been gone for a long time but has to be something in the water there....I would be hunting right at that slide..Wow!
View attachment 1750027
https://drloihjournal.blogspot.com/2017/01/electric-park-amusement-park-plainfield.html
View attachment 1750028

I did a vacation there a few years ago and came home with a honker...found at Oak street beach..
644.oo melt...
View attachment 1750025
I need to get back there someday! I just need to kidnap my friend Mr Casper for a few weeks.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
IT'S A DATE!--I wanted to head that way this year but only got 2 days of vacay left - trying to save for a Fla. trip
BUT...if you want to head out there next year - Im in!
Thinking fall, maybe Oct or Nov? Lower water levels, less foliage to deal with near shore. And both of us should have our Fisher "AQ"s by then..and know them well. Make a great video would it!...May not go well with the locals...:laughing7:...but we will be gone by then..:skullflag:

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Pro-Pointer AT, Stealth 720i Hybrid
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
View attachment 1750027
View attachment 1750028

644.oo melt...
View attachment 1750025

Any tips on Oak Street beach? Went out there today, but the water was ice cold.

I live close to Electric Park, amazing you know about that being in MD.

If you're ever out this way, lmk...

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Any tips on Oak Street beach? Went out there today, but the water was ice cold.

I live close to Electric Park, amazing you know about that being in MD.

If you're ever out this way, lmk...
My daughter lives near Oak Street Beach, maybe 4 blocks away? I normally do a trip out there once a year, not been in awhile because of Covid. Hoping to get back out soon now that has settled down, and I will contact you.

Honestly, since I don't live there I can't give you any unto date info. The reason I did so well (Here MD) for several years was, I got out several times a week scouting the beaches looking for open spots, in the water. Sometimes it would take me 10 to 15 trips out to find a place with the right targets. The right targets for me was older coins. There I guess it would be the same, crusty coins and any junk jewelry in areas with high concentration of targets. Dig all,,,The good thing there the water can be clear, good vis so you can scout many beaches in a day, if it is. Looking for areas of rocks, any kind of sand movement, dark areas in the water where the water is deeper. Once you get to know what each beach looks like you will be able to notice changes. And most changes are after the right winds, which you guys have plenty of...........Me, i try and keep up with 5 beaches, the winds, wave action, tides, sooner or later I will find what I'm looking for. Just going hunting is good but the chances of finding gold increases if you watch all close. And this is in the off season, once the water warms you have fresh drops.

I would check out the river spots there also, a few years ago some hunters really had some good luck at those spots. And like I've said before, research and reconn to find. Also a side note, river hunting in disc with the Nox..go in and dig good and bads until you know whaT THE TARGET history is.. Dig it all.

Good Luck! !

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Pro-Pointer AT, Stealth 720i Hybrid
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My daughter lives near Oak Street Beach, maybe 4 blocks away? I normally do a trip out there once a year, not been in awhile because of Covid. Hoping to get back out soon now that has settled down, and I will contact you.

Honestly, since I don't live there I can't give you any unto date info. The reason I did so well (Here MD) for several years was, I got out several times a week scouting the beaches looking for open spots, in the water. Sometimes it would take me 10 to 15 trips out to find a place with the right targets. The right targets for me was older coins. There I guess it would be the same, crusty coins and any junk jewelry in areas with high concentration of targets. Dig all,,,The good thing there the water can be clear, good vis so you can scout many beaches in a day, if it is. Looking for areas of rocks, any kind of sand movement, dark areas in the water where the water is deeper. Once you get to know what each beach looks like you will be able to notice changes. And most changes are after the right winds, which you guys have plenty of...........Me, i try and keep up with 5 beaches, the winds, wave action, tides, sooner or later I will find what I'm looking for. Just going hunting is good but the chances of finding gold increases if you watch all close. And this is in the off season, once the water warms you have fresh drops.

I would check out the river spots there also, a few years ago some hunters really had some good luck at those spots. And like I've said before, research and reconn to find. Also a side note, river hunting in disc with the Nox..go in and dig good and bads until you know whaT THE TARGET history is.. Dig it all.

Good Luck! !

Thanks for you input OBN. I appreciate you taking the time to write me back.

I went to the park in Plainfield a few weeks ago and hunted in the river for a bit. Just so much of that green algae coming off the bottom. Very rocky too. I think it'll be best to hit that in the winter/early spring when it dies off. I seen a guy on youtube pulling all kinds of old gold jewelry and coins out of the river.

Learning this machine slowly but surely. I had my AT Pro dialed in and found 3 gold coins with it. It wouldn't go deep with the small coil, but damn was that thing easy. If you come to town, let me know and I'll take you over to one of the parks I found two at in Indiana. My dad and I have hit it hard, but I know there's a lot more amongst the iron.

Reactions: OBN

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread