ExcalSam

Sep 8, 2019
Davie, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hello everyone, :hello:

Newbie here getting back into MD'ing after a 15 year hiatus. I've got an Excal ll, had an Excal 1000. My question is...Do you think on public beach hunting, it would be better in the water or on the sand? I remember years ago detecting Miami Beach, South Beach to be exact. One day I decided to get out there early and found the city dragging the beach with a big rake machine.I followed to where the dumped the pile and found about a half dozen city employees going through the pile. I must admit that these machines were pretty efficient. I mean, they even raked up clad. Kinda bummed me out on detecting on the sand. Don't know if they do this on other beaches. But I'm thinking...Now that I'm getting back into it, and I got an awesome water machine, maybe I should stick to the water. I mean, if someone is going to lose their rings or necklaces it will be frolicking in the water in about 4-5 feet of water. I was looking at a topo map of Hollywood Beach and noted a lot of depressions in the water at that depth. (I'm also a cert. diver). Actually, a Hooka system with a tank and a long hose would be inexpensive and somewhat less cumbersome. What are your thoughts?

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Knee-deep at low tide baby! GOLD!:skullflag:

OP
OP
E

ExcalSam

Sep 8, 2019
Davie, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I think I'll give that method a try when I break it in. Thanks! Seems to be easiest method. Diving or hooka is a little more intensive.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Terry. Most of my good rings were found in about a foot of water. Good luck.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go where the targets are. Right after a big weekend or beach event, the dry sand can be great. Other times it can be terrible. Same with water hunting. Make a few passes from sea wall to surf and see where you get the best action.

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
99% of the hunters search the dry sand and they get there at dawn. Go at low tide and go out till the water hits your knees and you will find the gold/silver. Sun tan lotion and water makes rings fall off and people shake their hands in the waves.

OP
OP
E

ExcalSam

Sep 8, 2019
Davie, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Hey Billieg,

Been out to the any of the beaches around Sebastion or Vero Beach since Dorian? Thinking of going up there next Sunday.

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No. the news showed many guys swinging in the early hrs after the storm. there were small cuts but nothing big. The Spanish coins are down 15 - 20 foot now so it will take a large storm to move that much sand. A few from the reefs could break lose and come to shore but again it would take a large storm. You will find a lot of Carolla caps though...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions