Coil Change

Aug 18, 2019
South Padre Island Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro SideWinder, CZ20, Whites XLT, Tesoro StingRay II, Whites PI Pro w/950 Dive Coil, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab EQ 600, Fisher CZ3D, Whites TDI SL, Sov. GT. Minelab GXP-4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After trying my new Attack Coil on my Excaliber II several times at the beach. I found it was having a hard time in black sand area. I was getting so many false signals even with sensitivity turned all the way down I could not hear faint signals. I decided to put the stock coil back on and wow, like night and day! was able to run in black sand with no problem.

Then I went out to deeper water started getting a few good targets when all of a sudden, I started getting EMI Interference like crazy, looked around no other detectors around. I moved further down problem went away. started hunting again, then here we go again, interference. I looked around and tried to locate the source of EMI...and low and behold I found it. A swimmer that seemed to be following me around had a handheld divers metal detector searching around me thinking I knew the best places to search. I then moved further down and he gave up and left. Lesson learned while hunting. Every day I learn something new, keeps me from growing old.:icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

stavr

Nov 9, 2008
Odessa
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 & Explorer XS & GQAS v.2 Eric Foster &Eureka Gold & PI Dolphin (HM 9μS)
After trying my new Attack Coil on my Excaliber II several times at the beach. I found it was having a hard time in black sand area. I was getting so many false signals even with sensitivity turned all the way down I could not hear faint signals. I decided to put the stock coil back on and wow, like night and day! was able to run in black sand with no problem.

Then I went out to deeper water started getting a few good targets when all of a sudden, I started getting EMI Interference like crazy, looked around no other detectors around. I moved further down problem went away. started hunting again, then here we go again, interference. I looked around and tried to locate the source of EMI...and low and behold I found it. A swimmer that seemed to be following me around had a handheld divers metal detector searching around me thinking I knew the best places to search. I then moved further down and he gave up and left. Lesson learned while hunting. Every day I learn something new, keeps me from growing old.:icon_thumright:
I also had a similar situation this week .... but I knew what it was :) a couple of stones thrown by a diver ... and he surfaced, turned off the device, walked over and said hello ... :) then sailed to the distance at which the stone will not fly ... :)

Yes, the original 10 "and 8" BBS coils are perfectly balanced and have excellent nickel durability. If you change the coil, then only the original or coiltek of old releases.
Here are IP-68 connector 4 pin, for Minelab Excalibur modification easy changing coils and headphones
(Deleted for rule violation)

Last edited by a moderator:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with Stavr...When I hunted the dry and wet sand I could get away with just about any coil but once I hit the water I swear by the stock coils only.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting......I have the stock 8" and 10" coil, along with a 15" WOT and 15" NEL Attack coil. I rarely use anything other than the 15" coils. More depth, more coverage. The only real drawbacks I have noticed is the extra drag trying to swing the coil out in the water and that they're a bit more prone to EMI interference.

OP
OP
S
Aug 18, 2019
South Padre Island Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro SideWinder, CZ20, Whites XLT, Tesoro StingRay II, Whites PI Pro w/950 Dive Coil, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab EQ 600, Fisher CZ3D, Whites TDI SL, Sov. GT. Minelab GXP-4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Stavr. Great info!

OP
OP
S
Aug 18, 2019
South Padre Island Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cudamark, when I first put on the Attack coil I did locate a nice copper ring around 14 inches, a hunter with a Eq 800 had just walked past me and went right over it , in the wet sand close to towel line area. maybe he was not looking for copper. If I go to deeper water away from the black mineralized area I have no problem unless waves are rough, I have heard spraying a coil with armoral helps displace water any ideas on that?
I purchased a couple of books of clives, he mentioned larger coils have to analyze more mineralized area and may have harder time in black sand. I'M new to the Excalibur II and trying to get any help from all those who have experience with them. My CZ21 I have no problem with the black sand, may not be getting the depth as well as Excal. but can hear faint signals. Using Attack coil around black sand there are too many false signals even with low sensitivity. or maybe its something im doing wrong, have to look at all possibilities with open mind. Ill keep experimenting with Attack and stock coil and find the strength and weakness of each and where it works best. Thanks for the input.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Black sand is usually tough to hunt with most detectors. Even PI machines can be affected to a certain degree.....mainly depth. I find that swinging the coil slower and keeping an even plane while swinging (coil control) is key in keeping false signals to a minimum.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting......I have the stock 8" and 10" coil, along with a 15" WOT and 15" NEL Attack coil. I rarely use anything other than the 15" coils. More depth, more coverage. The only real drawbacks I have noticed is the extra drag trying to swing the coil out in the water and that they're a bit more prone to EMI interference.
I would find it very hard to hunt in deep water with a big coil, waist deep and in would be fine unless the water is rough, then even the 10 is noisy.

And that is a Mr Casper style palm shot. Learned it from one of the best!

Last edited:
OP
OP
S
Aug 18, 2019
South Padre Island Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still on a roll, get it while its hot Joe! Congratulations.
Watching you hunt gives me inspiration that the rings are there, we just need to educate ourselves how to find them and how to keep the mindset to keep trying.

stavr

Nov 9, 2008
Odessa
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 & Explorer XS & GQAS v.2 Eric Foster &Eureka Gold & PI Dolphin (HM 9μS)
Black sand is usually tough to hunt with most detectors. Even PI machines can be affected to a certain degree.....mainly depth. I find that swinging the coil slower and keeping an even plane while swinging (coil control) is key in keeping false signals to a minimum.
for PI, it is possible to use a coil with a differentiated winding, this removes 90% of the impact of black sand ..., only nobody currently produces them in series for underwater detectors ..., I had to do such things myself .... and even for the winter (when there will be free time) I accepted 2 orders for their manufacture. :laughing7:

OP
OP
S
Aug 18, 2019
South Padre Island Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Stavr, I have the mod for coils and am now able to switch them, I still need the mod for headphones, maybe in the slow days ill get to that, with the help from OBN ill also do the pinpoint mod. thanks for the help.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread