Sunday salt water hunt...gold, silver, balls.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to an old small RI beach on Sunday - I hit what you would call the "main" section which is only like
50 yards wide by 30 yards out right before low tide where it gets 6 ft deep
I had never hit way north of this spot - never see much for people down that way but figured years ago
they probably did swim down that way to get away from the crowds - went in right before low and went out to chest
deep. First target was old brass lipstick case and thought that that was a good sign. Little while
later I got an older key - nother good sign...but then I started getting can slaw and screw caps that
I believe were throw backs - believe guys found then in closer and tossed into deeper waters. All of the trash was on top
and was in the chest to chin deep water. All the keeper targets were a foot or more down. All the coins were crusty and
I thought I had more silver because even the pennies were caked. I got into a dead zone where I was getting nothing at all
and turned and went out to my limit with my mask and snorkel ...tide was all the way out but waters were rough - had
they been calmer I think I could've gotten out even farther. I got a nice hit and scooped down - target was still in the hole
and it was louder and thought I might have a deep sinker - was surprised when I saw large caked disc in bottom
of my scoop - silver half! Little while later I got a "whisper" of a signal - When I checked it in ID mode it did not read
too good. It was reading like small iron but I knew that my batteries were getting low and I always fan 4-5 inches
with my dive boot and rechecked these faint signals. I fanned and rechecked and now got a mid tone signal and
scooped. I hit rocks about a foot down and had to fan and work my scoop around to get the larger rocks
out so I could get down to the target. I finally got it and was surprised again when I saw the glint of gold shining
through the rocks I still had in my scoop. 1932 class ring! Glad I always try and dig everything.
Most of the good targets I had to work for thru the rocks.
Tide was coming in and I could not keep my position out where I was and started to work my way back to my GF
who was sitting where I entered. I got another nice signal before I got to her and once again was surprised by large grey disc
in the bottom of my scoop - odd thing is - its larger than a quarter and smaller than a half - so I don't know
what I have yet but believe its silver. I also was surprised to get two different size musketballs which were an added bonus.
I know the British were camped just up the street from this spot but they could also be there from colonials. I found
a colonial silver shoe buckle in the waters near here in the early 2000s and also found some flat buttons and
a few musket balls back then also. I could see my GF was getting cold as sun was going behind the clouds
and wind was picking up and I decided to head out. I got out, got in and got some keepers - I was happy:icon_thumright:
nwprt929.JPG
trsh929.JPG
kprs929.JPG
DSC00257.JPG

Upvote 0

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, a 1932 class ring. What a sweet find. 8-) Congratulations on that. I have found about 50 rings but none are class rings. Still looking for my first.

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
DFX, EXcalibur, Dual Field, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats casper. Love the ring with the deer on it

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Really cool ring Casper. I just returned a girls Texas A&M class ring last week. Nice finds!

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really cool ring Casper. I just returned a girls Texas A&M class ring last week. Nice finds!
person would have to be 105 to make this return

DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 21, CZ20, CZ 7a Pro, Equinox 800, Stealth 920xi
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nice hunt! Glad to see you’re getting out there!

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Show us the silvers when clean.

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked the crust off the larger caked coin - its a Walking liberty half
don't know what im gonna do with the other yet - I may build an electrolysis unit
have not done it in yrs - used to do my crusties yrs ago but seemed more trouble than its worth
this other object may be a foreign coin or just a token - could be copper not silver since
the nickels and pennies here come out caked too

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent time out in the water Mr Casper! Great save on the gold class ring, always love the designs, deers for sure are different. Love the crusties, I just crunch them with a pair of diagonal pliers, edge to center then crust peals right off, no damage to the coin and fast.

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent time out in the water Mr Casper! Great save on the gold class ring, always love the designs, deers for sure are different. Love the crusties, I just crunch them with a pair of diagonal pliers, edge to center then crust peals right off, no damage to the coin and fast.

Thats what i did with this one - I usually dont if i can make out a design - i just toss them in my display the way they are - I have gotten Barbers
near here - so wanted to see what I had - I used to do electrolysis on them all but got to be a pain doing one at a time
I dont know what to do on the odd one though - its gonna come out thin no matter what but hate to totally destroy it if it
might be a nice old token or even a colonial

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here is the half - 1940
nn.JPG

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is colonial silver shoe buckle I got from this same beach over 15 yrs ago - I thought it was junk at first
attachment.php

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Colonial Silver shoe buckle. I wish that would clean up somehow, that would have been a beauty.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Awesome hunt. Congratulations

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Colonial Silver shoe buckle. I wish that would clean up somehow, that would have been a beauty.
I USED ELECTROLYSIS ON IT yrs ago - it left it really thin - still intact but salt took alot of the silver away - it rest with a bunch of my other colonial finds in my display coffee table - you can see it here - lower right - this is an older pic - this is now full
attachment.php

my coffee table - older pic - these are all full now (pic was taken just after receiving and I was going thru boxes trying to fill from past finds)
wish I had bought another table - they dont make these anymore

attachment.php

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah that's how it's done great job my friend

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great work I showed my wife some of your pictures and now she might be convinced to join me in the hunt

2Peas

May 26, 2014
Gulf Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 & Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice ring.
Must have come from Santa's reindeer High School. I think Rogers was on second string. Lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread