Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was out detecting at a local beach yesterday morning and found a razor tip arrow. Now why would anyone need to use a razor tip arrow at a beach? Found it lying on the sand. Nobody around. I’m glad I got it before someone stepped on it. B763D33B-65F1-441B-815B-3B57F9BB27FD.jpeg 815893D6-9024-48C1-8D3F-B04F884C67A8.jpeg B19FE4EC-E068-44F1-869C-D20588D590E8.jpeg DDC75942-B5F2-4BB5-B4B1-96274B2B98B8.jpeg

Upvote 0

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thatll leave a mark.... bow fishing area??

OP
OP
Hawks88

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thatll leave a mark.... bow fishing area??
It would definitely leave a nasty mark or cut your toe. (Toecutter) no pun intended. Signs posted all over (no hunting or fishing). Crazy to think someone would use a razor tip arrow on a beach where small kids run and play in the sand everyday.

OP
OP
Hawks88

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That appears to be a common arrow tip that can be used in crossbows and also in hunting arrows for standard archery. The tip is designed to open upon contact so that aerodynamically the tip does not interfere with true flight of the arrow.
There is a wooded area close by that is also posted with no hunting or trespassing signs. Someone missed their target and I found the arrow 10ft. away from where I was detecting. Not saying it was just shot but you never know.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a wooded area close by that is also posted with no hunting or trespassing signs. Someone missed their target and I found the arrow 10ft. away from where I was detecting. Not saying it was just shot but you never know.

It is fairly common for an arrow to be deflected by a small branch or twig and it will travel off course and hit flat and slide a distance on the top of the ground. With the small plastic fletching I would judge that it was probably being used for some type of water hunting like carp or such. Being the tip shows no damage, I would think that it may have just fell out of a quiver un noticed while being carried.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Does not appear to be a proper fish arrow.
The head is not. And fish arrows are usually solid glass , with a tie point.

Not saying this arrow floats , most do.
It could have traveled a ways before being beached.
The mechanical blades have been deployed.
Not the position they would be in if simply fallen out of a quiver. And most modern quivers for broadheads hold them/the arrows at multiple points.

For the cost , not something to casually lose.

roygpa

Mar 5, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Sunray X-1, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+ Garrett AT-Pro, Fisher F5, Fisher F2, 2- Garrett Pro Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is the entire area around the body of water considered no hunting? If not, the hunter may have been hunting a different area, the arrow may have been deflected into the water and then it floated to the beach. I would think a carbon fiber arrow would float.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hawks88

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the entire area around the body of water considered no hunting? If not, the hunter may have been hunting a different area, the arrow my have been deflected into the water and then it floated to the beach. I would think a carbon fiber arrow would float.
I think you’re probably right roygpa.

docweiser

Aug 20, 2019
Maryland
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is fairly common for an arrow to be deflected by a small branch or twig and it will travel off course and hit flat and slide a distance on the top of the ground. With the small plastic fletching I would judge that it was probably being used for some type of water hunting like carp or such. Being the tip shows no damage, I would think that it may have just fell out of a quiver un noticed while being carried.

When I was 15 living in southern CA I bought just one of this type of arrow for my he man 20 Lb bow. That arrow would stick solid, shot into a concrete block wall! One day I missed the wall and it became stuck in our neighbors in ground swimming pool, to this day I get chills thinking about what could have happened! Never shot that bow in the yard again! Point is though, it is very easy for one of those things to go astray and there is probably some person sick to his stomach wondering where the hell that thing went, we can hope anyway! :)

OP
OP
Hawks88

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was 15 living in southern CA I bought just one of this type of arrow for my he man 20 Lb bow. That arrow would stick solid, shot into a concrete block wall! One day I missed the wall and it became stuck in our neighbors in ground swimming pool, to this day I get chills thinking about what could have happened! Never shot that bow in the yard again! Point is though, it is very easy for one of those things to go astray and there is probably some person sick to his stomach wondering where the hell that thing went, we can hope anyway! :)
Yes, I couldn’t believe it when I found it. That would be the last thing I thought I would find.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting find for sure....one I have yet to. Being razor sharp I would say you did your full duties on beach clean up, equals good Karma...:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Hawks88

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting find for sure....one I have yet to. Being razor sharp I would say you did your full duties on beach clean up, equals good Karma...:icon_thumright:
Thank you OBN

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job,that think would of opened up some kids foot real quick

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hawks88 you definitely saved a person or an animal from a serious injury, Congrats on that!

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug one of those in my Seated field. Blades were also deployed and thank God for gloves!

Terry In Florida

Mar 3, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not with that type of knock, it is from a regular bow type setup. I failed to view the knock during my first thoughts above.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...MI0-HixJy35QIVkZOzCh0O5wkGEAAYASAAEgLaefD_BwE

I don't know if you would use a bolt for an arrow or that it would be long enough to be able to really pull back on a bow, 22" doesn't go very far on a regular bow but its huge on a crossbow. I would definitely say crossbow bolt if it measures less than 22"...

On the other hand, the 'nock' is replaceable and especially if you want something with more visibility. This nock may be lighted which may be the reason it is not your normal bolt nock, or maybe the person had an issue with the bolts falling out of the crossbow and wanted a nock that would hold better. I've had bolts fall out of my crossbow, while walking through the woods and hitting against hanging foliage.

But identifying the bolt or arrow, is just for kicks and giggles, it won't tell why it was there or who it belongs to.

Just glad it is off the beach and no little toes had to come into contact with it. I've pulled so much broken glass from my local beaches, its definitely a hazard to anyone thinking the beach is barefoot friendly, of all the places...

Definitely a good job, Hawks88, those razors would open up or cut off anything that came into contact with them. I've cut myself playing with mine, they are no joke...

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
20 inch is about standard for crossbow.
Bolts are arrows. Albeit seldom interchangable after set up.
Halfmoon nocks and flat nocks are common.
Ravin brand is making a "clip on" nock that is different than the standard vertical bow nock in o.p.'s pic..Roughly a third the gap height and a more robust design.

My crossbow arrows run 20 inch and 350 grains ,without heads attached.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread