Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have the gray ghost amphibian headphones with the volume control on the right side. I recently took a trip and started getting a static noise in the headphone similar to what you would here on the LP 33 records when the needle would get stuck or at the end when the music finished and the arm got stuck. Yes I know I am dating myself but then the LP has made a huge comeback which is great. Anyway my Excal is working fine but you can imagine what it is like to listen that that static all the time while detecting. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if so, what did you do about it? I sent gray ghost an email to see if they can repair it but I will have to send the entire excal unit to them. Does anyone else have any type of suggestion that would preclude me from sending it in? Is there something I can do myself to check the headphones? Thanks in advance if you have any suggestions. Best regards and HH.

Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Salt Water in the system...some where. More then likely the cable...How handy are you at fixing...

OP
OP
slider66

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Salt Water in the system...some where. More then likely the cable...How handy are you at fixing...

That would depend on that I need to do. Are you thinking I have water in my control box or the headphones?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most likely you have water leaked in master muff, the one the cable goes to.

Terry In Florida

Mar 3, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where does gray ghost stand on altering the headphones, I would pass any changes you want to make onto him and make sure he will still help you after alterations to the headphones. If it is something internal that needs repaired, you may be out of luck after an alteration.

OP
OP
slider66

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Looks like I had bad phones with water. I’m not taking them apart and will see if I can send them for repair to gray ghost.

I had a pair of old excal phones and put them on and it works fine now. Thanks to all for your input. I appreciate it. HH

OP
OP
slider66

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Where does gray ghost stand on altering the headphones, I would pass any changes you want to make onto him and make sure he will still help you after alterations to the headphones. If it is something internal that needs repaired, you may be out of luck after an alteration.

There were no alterations. I just removed them from my excal and installed the original phones.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry for the delay, yes best to send them in for it could be any where...between the endcap to the piezo's. Here is a set I repaired for someone, this set had the sizzling/static also.

IMG_0004.jpg

If it gets into the cables, the copper wire starts to turn black, then they eventually lose audio.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
That would depend on that I need to do. Are you thinking I have water in my control box or the headphones?

If you have water in the control pod, the excal will just act stupid, falsing like crazy. The same if you get water in the coil itself, falsing and unstable. Either of these best to pull the plug on the battery. Turn off, the fastest way.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So let me get this straight...

You have a hum when the needle would get stuck or at the end when the music finished and the arm got stuck ?

Easy fix...

Just flip record. :P

J/k... what they said :)

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting