Terry In Florida

Mar 3, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a DR appointment in the morning, so I figured I would drop by Clearwater Beach and give it a shot. I got there about 11am at pier 60, too many people on the south side of the pier, so I hunted mostly the beach on the north side, still quite a few people. Man, it is a tough beach, it is extremely clean. I was able to dig up a nickle, 2 pennies and 5-6 twist off beer caps. Picked up a tiny grommet from something. Now that I know to clean the coil cover, this excal is spot on. I had some noise when waves would hit the coil but I could fix that by turning sensitivity down to 6 and swinging the coil in the direction the wave was rolling. That was mainly only in about ankle deep to mid shin water though.

Had a guy wave me down from the beach and ask me if I wouldn't mind looking for his wedding band, He said he and his family are staying at the motel on the beach and yesterday when he got back to his room with his family, he noticed his ring was missing but didn't know for sure if he lost it on the beach or not. Told me he never went in the water and showed me the area where they were lounging in the sun. I spent about an hour hunting an area twice the size that he showed me and didn't get any signals at all. I showed him how sensitive the excal is by dropping my band in the sand and swinging the coil over it with the headphones off my head so he could hear, it was super loud. I didn't want him to think I was not finding it on purpose or anything. Then I had a little bit of a hard time retrieving my band. That sand really eats anything that falls into it. The excal had no problem locating it, but I was trying to run my fingers through the sand for the band because I had set my scoop down a few feet away. He was surprised at how easily my band disappeared in the sand, as was I, lol...

Felt bad, I could see tracks from the tractor and the rake that they clean the beach with and explained that they do clean the beach and the rake is pretty thorough, but that I didn't know how often or the days they would do it. I went over the area and then sum, a few times just to be sure but it wasn't there. He thanked me and I told him I hoped it was somewhere safe in his room and that he would hopefully find it but I have a bad feeling the rake picked it up...

From what he said it wasn't an expensive band but it was sentimental.

I was in waist deep about 20' from the waterline, moving about 100 yards along the beach and worked my way in as I turned until I was detecting the water line. Then I skipped past the seadoo rides area and hunted a little past it for a while, until I met the guy that lost his band. Did have a couple of signals that I lost when I dug. I figured they must have been small like the grommet, because they just vanished. I think the current from the waves carried them away. My scoop has small holes, so if anything falls out of it, its tiny. Don't think they fell in the hole, only because they vanished with the first scoop. Definitely were signals though, the way the excal was falsing before programmed me to doubt any signals I get so I swing a signal a pretty lot still before I dig, lol...

Low tide was around 12:30pm I believe , I left around 3pm, didn't want to get stuck in traffic with people getting off work.

I had fun, enjoyed the water, the beach and my 7¢...

Question about the site:

The site logs me out after a short while, if I'm reading posts and then write out a reply or take a little while writing a new thread. Is that normal or is there a setting for it? I was losing my posts that I would write out, by logging in on the same page but now I know to backspace and then open a new page and log in from that page, then I can come back to the first page I was on and can post then.

RYpwodJ.jpg

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have the box checked that says "keep me logged in"?

Also if you take a long time to write a post it can time out, if your writting a long post you should copy it before hitting <enter> or write it in a note pad or word doc. It does take a while to time out and I dont know how long your talking.

OP
OP
Terry In Florida

Terry In Florida

Mar 3, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't check the box, that would make sense. Thanks.

Edit: I don't see a box to keep me logged in, I see "Save" and "Remember me"?

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Remember Me is the one to check. Sounds like you had a good time down at the beach even for the $.07. Good luck!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those beach rakes take lots of good stuff off the beach. I talked to an operator near here and they apparently jump unload it in a dumpster...

OP
OP
Terry In Florida

Terry In Florida

Mar 3, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those beach rakes take lots of good stuff off the beach. I talked to an operator near here and they apparently jump unload it in a dumpster...

Yes they do, a few years ago, I saw where they had the tractors, rakes and dumpsters.

Saw a page about them online too.

Clearwater Beach Rake

8af6e91e10133454c90659964080f15.jpg

968f7a3bc84028f884365612e4513d88.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread