ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this topic has been posted before but not sure what is current. I have quite a few 14K and 10K rings plus a large bag of silver rings. Where best to send them. Likewise do you need to test them out before hand since not sure if some of the stamps are legit. thanks.

There are many members here who I am sure will pipe in on suggestions for selling.

As far as the "testing"... its always good to know if what you think you have... IS what you have... so a small investment in some testing supplies would not hurt.

A cursory test is a very strong magnet.

IF it sticks... its bunk.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
G

gus

Oct 15, 2004
no its not iron just a lot of silver and gold. silver grouping IMG_0201.jpeg

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is old article i wrote
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.flickr.com/photos/casper-2/6290522742/
price of gold and silver was lower
now a days most rings are going to pay more as scrap but just make sure
you don't have some that may be worth more
I use Midwest REFINERIES
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.midwestrefineries.com/
you dont need to test all your gold - i send the unmarked in a zip lock marked
unmarked and they will let you know what you got
[/FONT][SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]
[/FONT]

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My grandfather made several thousand dollars back in the 1960s, by taking a coffee can full of rings and such into the local bars, and selling them to guys who were trying to impress their girlfriends. Sounds crazy, but in 1965, making $3,000 a year for some rings, maybe not such a bad idea after all.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It can get complicated thru a refinery if you dont do research. You are thinking ounces....... then they start talking Troy ounces....melting and paying in penny weight. Some will melt it by K... some will do a total melt and just use the final weight. Know what you have with a proper scale and acid. IF you can find a local jewelry store that pays say 80% and does it in front of you you might be better off. Sometimes you can talk higher prices on better pieces.... and you aint paying for shipping and insurance..... or thinking you just got cheated. Just remember you dont have a lot in found gold.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put yourself a little case together and stand out on the boardwalk with your metal detector!

DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 21, CZ20, CZ 7a Pro, Equinox 800, Stealth 920xi
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've used Midwest Refineries for years and have never been disappointed. Definitely get a test kit and a scale to give you an idea of what you should expect.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a rule I don't sell anything because it's mainly relics. All the good coins I have ever dug I can hold in one hand. CRH silvers I let go at one or two coin dealers locally.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now.... lets through this in. Many people like to post their finds, leave um up, and KEEP everything they find. With more and more people going on line looking for help to find their lost jewelry... whats the odds you are going to be giving more back instead of selling? Is that why we maybe seeing less posting

howie#1

Aug 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go to this guy at the Seybold building he pays the top 95 percent of scrap value. He uses a gun to check for gold percent Howie's pic's 999.JPG

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
this is old article i wrote
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.flickr.com/photos/casper-2/6290522742/
price of gold and silver was lower
now a days most rings are going to pay more as scrap but just make sure
you don't have some that may be worth more
I use Midwest REFINERIES
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.midwestrefineries.com/
you dont need to test all your gold - i send the unmarked in a zip lock marked
unmarked and they will let you know what you got
[/FONT][SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]
[/FONT]

I have used midwest before and I was happy with the outcome. They seemed to pay me a fair price. I now sell to people local after I do the homework and have a really good idea what to expect for a payment.

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandfather made several thousand dollars back in the 1960s, by taking a coffee can full of rings and such into the local bars, and selling them to guys who were trying to impress their girlfriends. Sounds crazy, but in 1965, making $3,000 a year for some rings, maybe not such a bad idea after all.

Wow thats really cool but we difinately live in different times now. You would just be asking to get robbed today.

Stateguyt

Greenie
Dec 7, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Selling Finds

Did you try a goggle search and see if there a refinery in your stateIf you live in New York I can give you one

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Scrap the gold and save the silver rings for individual sales or gifts - silver rings just aren't worth melting for scrap. One nice silver ring is $1 scrap and $5 - $25 sold to an individual.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread