Sand scoop, what to buy??
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Sand scoop, what to buy??

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jul 2018
    Buffalo,MN
    Minelab Equinox 800 Garrett Propointer 2
    1913 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Sand scoop, what to buy??

I will be trying out some beach hunting in the spring and it looks like my shovel just ain`t gonna cut it, I need a scoop, but there are about a zillion different ones
    out there.

I`m willing to spend up to $150 on one but have no idea what to get, any advice appreciated!

Dan
    LawrencetheMDer likes this.

us
    TerrysKnifeStore.com

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000; Equinox 600 -- Teknetics EuroTek PRO -- Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger -- Bunk's Hermit Pick
    24275 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    One for sale in the classifieds

ua
    Stavr

Nov 2008
    Odessa
    Excalibur 1000 & Explorer XS & GQAS v.2 Eric Foster &Eureka Gold & PI Dolphin (HM 9μS)
    71 times
    if you need to determine the type or model of the scoop - tell here what you want:
    where - for water or wet sand or dry sand.
    soil type - fine sand, sand with silt and clay, sand with a broken shell, sand with stones and clay.
    your physical abilities - height, weight, are there any injuries that interfere with beach hunting

Ruslan.
    dts52 likes this.
    Excalibur 10" coil .since 2001.
    Explorer XS .since 2001.coil 10'',detech 10x14'',detech 4,5x7'',coiltek 15'',coiltek 12x8 platypus

Charter Member
    us
    Cat teaches man, not everything here serves him.

Feb 2011
    S. Fl.
    Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
    7829 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I have 2 scoops, one for sand hunting & one for water hunting.
    I got both mine from Joe & Lorraine at Reilly's Treasure in Pompano.
    The water scoop is heavier & more sturdy built.
    The sand scoop is lighter and easier to handle in the dry sand.
    I've used the sand scoop in the water, but, heavy corals & such (over time) kinda bent it up some.
    Joe was kind and beat it back to original form, placed a weld or two, for me.

Don't get a (short handle) scoop, where you have to constantly bend over, to scoop.
    Get one with a long handle, save your back.
    stavr, RustyGold and dts52 like this.
    Yesterday is history, tomorow a mystery. All we have is the here and now, it's a special gift. That's why we call it "The Present"

Pity the poor agnostic dyslexic insomniac who lies awake at night wondering if there really is a Dog.

Charter Member
    us
    Only boaring people get board

Nov 2018
    The Thumb
    NOX899
    3962 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I have one of these with the aluminum long handle, its very well built, Id sell it if you want it 100$ plus shipping, I only used once and figured out that using a sand scoop doesnt work for me, I have a prosthetic left arm using a sand scoop one handed is no fun when wrestling with a metal detector at the same time.... message me if your interested

https://www.amazon.com/Quest-Scoopal.../dp/B075SMKDVK
    I'll sleep when I'm dead

Charter Member
    us
    Bear cub whisperer

Jun 2015
    NW CT
    Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer Vibra-probe / TRX pp
    1674 times
    MD & NA artifacts, pull-tab recovery
    Whichever scoop you buy, I suggest getting some handle attachments. I know they’re readily available on-line. I use a VERY heavy scoop for New England’s rocky shoreline and I use two different Raptor handles. The V shaped one towards me, up near the top of the scoop handle and the straight one away from me, about a third of the way down the shaft from the top. Makes lifting a scoop full of rocks and wet sand/clay a lot easier... but still a workout.
    HH
    dts
    RustyGold likes this.

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    16279 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    Mudflap and gunsil like this.
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2012
    West Coast
    AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
    4965 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDigginDan View Post
    I will be trying out some beach hunting in the spring and it looks like my shovel just ain`t gonna cut it, I need a scoop, but there are about a zillion different ones
    out there.

I`m willing to spend up to $150 on one but have no idea what to get, any advice appreciated!

Dan
    Hey Dan,.....

I have a Russian one, stainless steel, pretty good unit.

Check these, a lot of guys use one of these.

https://stavrscoop.com/eng
    gunsil likes this.

us
    Apr 2011
    Not too far from a beach
    520 times

9" stainless steel Stealth Extreme scoop

Dan, I can part with my 9" stainless steel Stealth Extreme scoop. It's made by sunspot. check out their website. These are indestructible, and have a lifetime warranty, free repair or replace, most durable scoop you can buy. (They also will fix any metal scoop by any maker for just $25, including the return shipping. I used them for a Ukrainian scoop I'd run over and they fixed it better than new, added gussets to it. Beautiful work). All the pro's down here in s. Florida use one, either the 9" or the 7". It's for wet sand and in the water. They cost $225 new, I'd sell mine for $175, it's in excellent condition. I know that's a little higher than your price point, but you'll never have to buy another one.

(For dry sand, you want a light, relatively small scoop, 6" or so, with a long enough handle you can scoop standing up. Reilly's Precious Gold [RPG] is a good place to find one)

920iX - Stealth beach scoop
    Last edited by scaupus; Dec 18, 2019 at 12:40 PM.

OBN
    us
    Dec 2008
    Mid-Atlantic Waters
    Excalibur
    6076 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_6198289.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	216.7 KB 
ID:	1780767

Blood Member of RingKeepers
    2020......Gold Rings....35 .......Silvers ...29

ua
    Stavr

Nov 2008
    Odessa
    Excalibur 1000 & Explorer XS & GQAS v.2 Eric Foster &Eureka Gold & PI Dolphin (HM 9μS)
    71 times
    Joe, where did you dig out the old photo of 2009
    yes, 10 years ago .... but everything is recognizable
    OBN and gunsil like this.
    Excalibur 10" coil .since 2001.
    Explorer XS .since 2001.coil 10'',detech 10x14'',detech 4,5x7'',coiltek 15'',coiltek 12x8 platypus

OBN
    us
    Dec 2008
    Mid-Atlantic Waters
    Excalibur
    6076 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by stavr View Post
    Joe, where did you dig out the old photo of 2009
    yes, 10 years ago .... but everything is recognizable
    I knew that would get your attention! Just happened to be going thru some old hardrives and found it..........It was our first look at Your scoops. I loved them, nothing had been made that looked like them, most scoops before then had a round bucket or similar!! You started a revolution in scoops!
    stavr and gunsil like this.

Blood Member of RingKeepers
    2020......Gold Rings....35 .......Silvers ...29

au
    Jul 2008
    TNQ
    92 times
    StavR scoops are used in Oz by any beach/water hunter that know Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0689_400.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	117.3 KB 
ID:	1781140
    OBN, Irishgoldhound and gunsil like this.

us
    Feb 2014
    Ohio and Florida
    CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils, Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 w 11" and 15" coils, Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pro Find 35 Pointer Vibra-Tector 730 w 4" coil
    1800 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDigginDan View Post
    out there.

Dan
    I've destroyed 2 Stealth scoops (they'll only repair them once! I sent the second one in for repair and never heard back from the company), and destroyed a 6" aluminum water scoop digging rocky bottoms. My most recent scoop is a solid 7" x 10" aluminum water scoop (single piece w 48" handle, about $150) and it is handling the rocks very well. It is also KING of scoops in digging deeper holes in the surf because of its wide mouth. You'd think some of the so-called 9" scoops like a Stealth would be better at digging deeper holes in the surf but they aren't really that big in terms of area - the 9" scoops are only 9" at the very corners; like measuring a big smile [()] vs a big mouth yawn [O] with the 7" aluminum. I have also improved my recovery speed and have reduced number of scoops per target with the 7" aluminum scoop vs the Stealths. FYI
    Irishgoldhound likes this.
    Metal Detecting Goal in Life is to Find Wife a 2ct Diamond Ring (so she'll be quiet about all my metal detecting).

us
    Dec 2012
    lower hudson valley, N.Y.
    safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
    3447 times
    I like my Stavros Evroexcavator, you can contact Stavr who posted above for prices and availability. Many you see today are copies of his great designs, why not get an original?? If you do you need to make sure it has a handle socket that fits standard American size handles. Stavro will help you with that also. Sorry, you gotta click twice on the photo to get it upright.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0360.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	825.8 KB 
ID:	1781613
    Last edited by gunsil; Dec 21, 2019 at 09:18 AM.
    ivanll, OBN and RustyGold like this.
    Ya won't find nuthin' if ya don't hunt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links