Excaliburs - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree187Likes

Thread: Excaliburs

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Oct 2017
    Bold Coast & Treasure Coast
    Blue Excal 1000, Enox 800
    1126 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I hate to say it but the Nox gets my vote. I started this whole journey with the blue Excal in 2000 and used it exclusively till I bought my Nox last year. I hunted with the Excal all over the Treasure Coast of FL and had great success there.., on salt water beaches. I moved to Maine 3 1/2 years ago and was using the Excal on the tidal beaches here but and in brackish water. Salt water till the tide goes out, then fresh water but with the salt and minerals still around. Very strange situation that I didn't feel I was getting the best of. Plus, I never had much success with the Excal on dry land and strict fresh water lakes and streams. I used the Excal here for 2 years and then bought my Nox. Hit the same spots again and was pulling all kinds of stuff out of the mud where I had detected before. Given where I hunt, I'm now able to transition quickly from dry land to fresh water to salt water (happens almost every time I detect) and feel very confident in what I'm doing. Maybe there are those who can use the Excal all over, I don't know. I know what has worked for me. The Pros: The Excal is a battle tank, will take a beating, easy to use, goes deep and I never questioned it staying water tight. The Nox is lightweight yes, perhaps to a fault, water tight (so far), quick to change up detecting modes and coils, and maybe the biggest for me, cordless!!! Cons: The Excal headphones and hardwired coil, weight, really just a saltwater beach detector (at least in my eyes). The Nox has great electronics but the rest of the machine is cheap (in my opinion), top heavy and always falls over when sitting on the ground, stock shaft is cheap and wobbly, the wire running down to the coil is just waiting to get broken in the way it sticks out, the processor/screen sticks up like a thumb and I always wonder if today will be the day it breaks off. In other words, great electronics whole bad design.
    Even with all that "I" would still say the Nox. (Of course you can't discount what OBN says. He's the Excal pro!)

Charter Member
    us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    Bahia Del Espiritu Santo - "Bay of the Holy Spirit”
    JW 8X V.2 - ML X2 - VP 580
    63957 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodkin View Post
    I hate to say it but the Nox gets my vote. I started this whole journey with the blue Excal in 2000 and used it exclusively till I bought my Nox last year. I hunted with the Excal all over the Treasure Coast of FL and had great success there.., on salt water beaches. I moved to Maine 3 1/2 years ago and was using the Excal on the tidal beaches here but and in brackish water. Salt water till the tide goes out, then fresh water but with the salt and minerals still around. Very strange situation that I didn't feel I was getting the best of. Plus, I never had much success with the Excal on dry land and strict fresh water lakes and streams. I used the Excal here for 2 years and then bought my Nox. Hit the same spots again and was pulling all kinds of stuff out of the mud where I had detected before. Given where I hunt, I'm now able to transition quickly from dry land to fresh water to salt water (happens almost every time I detect) and feel very confident in what I'm doing. Maybe there are those who can use the Excal all over, I don't know. I know what has worked for me. The Pros: The Excal is a battle tank, will take a beating, easy to use, goes deep and I never questioned it staying water tight. The Nox is lightweight yes, perhaps to a fault, water tight (so far), quick to change up detecting modes and coils, and maybe the biggest for me, cordless!!! Cons: The Excal headphones and hardwired coil, weight, really just a saltwater beach detector (at least in my eyes). The Nox has great electronics but the rest of the machine is cheap (in my opinion), top heavy and always falls over when sitting on the ground, stock shaft is cheap and wobbly, the wire running down to the coil is just waiting to get broken in the way it sticks out, the processor/screen sticks up like a thumb and I always wonder if today will be the day it breaks off. In other words, great electronics whole bad design.
    Even with all that "I" would still say the Nox. (Of course you can't discount what OBN says. He's the Excal pro!)
    Well... if the nox is as "cheap made" as you say it is...

Hope you find enough to buy another one as a backup... and for repairs of both. heh
    DETECT WITH RESPECT - Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...en-24-7-a.html

OBN
    us
    Dec 2008
    Maryland Waters
    "Excalibur".. "AQ" coming..
    6193 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I've found, never knock another detector. Every place is different and every hunter is different. Best to use what works for you. The Nox does have a lot of perks and the price is way worth it. Nice Machine for sure and a worthy machine that has proven itself. I'm sure if I hunted the wet sand or dry I would be using one there.

Blood Member of RingKeepers
    2020......Gold Rings....57...Misc Gold 1...Silvers ...53

us
    Oct 2017
    1126 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AARC View Post
    Well... if the nox is as "cheap made" as you say it is...

Hope you find enough to buy another one as a backup... and for repairs of both. heh
    To me, the design went into the electronics and to get it out to the public. As a person who's worked in design for a long time, it's a bad design. I always find myself trying to protect it. That shouldn't be. Not having to use headphones or corded headphones certainly helps the situation here. I knew I was going to destroy my Excal trying to drag it trough the thickets and cedar swamps. The headphones constantly got hung on something. That being said, I would rather destroy an $800 machine over a $1400 machine. I'm sure I have found plenty enough to get a new machine or repairs or both but Geez, I don't want it to come to that. I'll just hold my breathe and hope for the best. Maybe the Nox 2.0 will address my concerns..? By the way, your reply runs through my head all the time. Thanks!
    AARC and South Padre Treasure like this.

Charter Member
    us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    63957 times
    By the way, your reply runs through my head all the time. Thanks!
    Which one would that be > ?
    DETECT WITH RESPECT - Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...en-24-7-a.html

Charter Member
    us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    63957 times
    I was thnking on getting the girlie an 800.

us
    Oct 2017
    1126 times
    Which one would that be > ?
    "Hope you find enough to buy another one as a backup... and for repairs of both. "
    Kind of a strange way of approaching a hobby (since my others don't have this type of payback) but as soon as I hit what I think would have paid off the detectors I breathe a little easier. Justifies not getting new tires for the car or something like that.
    AARC likes this.

Jul 2013
    1489 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    I just find it hard to believe that the EQ can hit depth of an X2 in PP mode and set right.

Just cant see it... sorry.
    From what Iíve seen and heard it is deeper than the stock Excal.
    AARC likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    63957 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishgoldhound View Post
    From what I’ve seen and heard it is deeper than the stock Excal.
    I have watched several videos on Tube... it does hit deep... but I have yet to see vid of it hitting deeper than stock X2.

And I have not seen any water work with it.

But I have not looked at all or even that many vids.. so far anyway.

Jul 2013
    1489 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    I couldnít upload this one, so youíll have to google it. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1578359432.182602.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	511.7 KB 
ID:	1787574
    AARC likes this.

us
    May 2015
    New England
    Minelab Equinox 800, Excalibur (2), GPX 4500, Tesoro Cibola
    109 times
    I have both the EQX 800 and Excal II, I use the Nox almost exclusively in fresh water and wet & dry sand at the beach. If for nothing else the weight difference at the beach w a 15" coil on it gets my vote. That it will pick up small gold is an added plus in both of those environments. However in salt water up to chest deep my preference is the Excal. Gives you plenty of depth......as many on here will attest, is solidly built so can stand up to the rigors of water hunting, and I never have to worry about it flooding. Both good tools, I just use each differently. My two cents...

Jul 2013
    1489 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Iíll be getting a nox this spring, Iím hoping minelab has got the flooding issue figured out by then and I donít end up with a leaky Equinox.
    AARC and South Padre Treasure like this.

Oct 2014
    New Hampshire
    Minelab excalibur blue tube 1000 Fisher cz-6a, 1265x, Whites eagle IIsl
    594 times
    I would never abandon my excals! Simply stated the Nox is a great wet sand machine but doesnít come close in chest deep salt water to an excal in pinpoint for depth. To test this in both New England waters and west coast Florida waters I first located a faint target with the excal in pp chest deep. Planted my scoop near the target, walked the excal over to my wife and then tried the Nox 800. Couldnít hear the target no matter how I set it up. I could hear it only affect the field when in pinpoint on the Nox. Then I reversed the process by finding what I believed was a deep target/faint with the 800 then switched machines back to excal. Easily hit the target first in discrimination and much harder in pp. Iíve repeated this test on several occasions and the results have always been the same. Stock coil on the Nox and 10Ē coil on my excal blue tube. JMTC Worth
    OBN, AARC, Jim in MA and 2 others like this.

Charter Member
    us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    63957 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishgoldhound View Post
    I couldn’t upload this one, so you’ll have to google it. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1578359432.182602.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	511.7 KB 
ID:	1787574
    yeah I saw that one... wet sand... I was referring to surf work... I will look on the Tube for a vid using EQ in the surf.

I am impressed with the EQ on the sand... I just don't see any REAL water work with it.
    rsc likes this.

Jul 2014
    261 times

I never went the CTX 3030 or Equinox route

If I want a meter to look at the Sovereign on the right has one
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    South Padre Treasure and rsc like this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links