May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
So minelab pretty much obsoleted its own high end detectors with the nox ?

Yes and no. The excalibur is made for diving whereas the nox only goes down 10ft. So beach detecting, yes you would choose the nox but diving you need the excal. Now the CTX...well the CTX has a few features the nox doesn't like GPS, better ID, but is much heavier and 3-4x the price. It def obsoletes buying a new safari/etrac imo. Its the smart move though. They are making a killing on the nox/vanquish. The low end price market is where its at. There are many more weekend warriors who will shell out $500 than serious detectors that will spend $2500. This is my observation though...I don't work at a metal detecting company to know if this is really true or not. Just my thoughts.

Last edited:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
True, didn't think about actual diving. And price and weight are major factors, might be the era of elite metal detectors is over.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nox does not obsolete either the excal or the CTX3030, I own all 3, both excal and 3030 are deeper than the Nox, Nox is good but it's not the end all detector. if I'm hunting in salt water I still prefer the excal.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a Nox but reserve opinion on it as I haven't messed whit it much yet.
All high end Minelabs are renowned, and I assume that is for good reason, but I'd like to see their sales figures for 3030's,Etracs and Excaliburs since the Nox was released, just out of curiosity.

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Few years back my Excal died! Worked with the ATX and love it! But I need the Excal back. Not gonna go with a newer cheaper machine. So I nailed a "slightly used excel" last week.
Yes Sir I did. Sold a few pieces of yellow and now a very Happy Excal owner again (Saved Big and she is flawless, even smells brand new)!:laughing7::skullflag:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Few years back my Excal died! Worked with the ATX and love it! But I need the Excal back. Not gonna go with a newer cheaper machine. So I nailed a "slightly used excel" last week.
Yes Sir I did. Sold a few pieces of yellow and now a very Happy Excal owner again (Saved Big and she is flawless, even smells brand new)!:laughing7::skullflag:
Congrats on that!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread