Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Has everyone except OBN and me abandoned their Excals for Noxes?
Yes the nox is lighter and maybe deeper, But NOT as good in the water in my opinion.
Opinions anyone? Tks Gayle

Thank you, We the Excalibur,... Arrrr now out numbered...:skullflag:...But I see no need for worry.

OBN-0006.jpg

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I still have and will use the Excal whenever I venture into the surf beyond knee level depth. I simply have more faith in its waterproof housing. Do I prefer the EQX processor speed, weight and sensitivity? YES. Will I use it in the surf beyond knee level depth? NO.

Just the view from my foxhole...

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although I am curious... I have not pulled the trigger on a EQ yet.

Yes... I call them EQ's... not "Nox".

I think they may hit on smaller items is the only advantage... which would be cool to find for sure...

AT LEAST this i what i gather from posts here.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both the EQX and the excal. Each has its best uses. Although I am tempted to sell my excal because it gets little use. If I was planning on another long beach trip I could always buy another.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just find it hard to believe that the EQ can hit depth of an X2 in PP mode and set right.

Just cant see it... sorry.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I just find it hard to believe that the EQ can hit depth of an X2 in PP mode and set right.

We tell them it is deeper,.... as we smile......:thumbsup:

Yesterday

14 to 16 inch's deep 10k 8 gram gold ring.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got done watching some vids on 800.

Seems to have a good depth.

BUT... on wet and dry sand it seems... i have not found any in water.

Last edited:

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both but when I use the equinox and as I am leaving, I feel like I am missing targets so I end up using my Excalibur 90% of the time. Freshwater most of the time. As a matter of fact I’m gonna buy a new one this spring. Good luck.

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not getting rid of my excal any time soon... much too good in water ,.. and I can detect knowing that it will not flood

Micheal

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still have and will use the Excal whenever I venture into the surf beyond knee level depth. I simply have more faith in its waterproof housing. Do I prefer the EQX processor speed, weight and sensitivity? YES. Will I use it in the surf beyond knee level depth? NO.

Just the view from my foxhole...

Took the words right out of my mouth!:laughing7:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Excal gets more depth, I have both Equinox 800 and several excals, Nox is no where as deep as my excals, the Nox advantage is it is a good land and beach detector, excal is heavy on land and Nox hits on gold chains excal will rarely hit on a gold chain unless it has large clasp, curled in ball or holding charm.

Aug 18, 2019
South Padre Island Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro SideWinder, CZ20, Whites XLT, Tesoro StingRay II, Whites PI Pro w/950 Dive Coil, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab EQ 600, Fisher CZ3D, Whites TDI SL, Sov. GT. Minelab GXP-4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife bought me a Equinox 600 for Christmas, I have used twice so far and like it as another tool. I used in deeper water and showing signs of water penetration on the back screen. only visible if I use backlight. still works, all functions.
Making my wife happy for now but will be taking the Excalibur back out and using in deeper water. I like the Excalibur more maybe just because I know it wont leak and OBN has proven to me it is a ring finder...Congratulation OBN on a good start of the
year. Hope to display my finds with the Excalibur soon...do wish the Excalibur would pick up small gold chains...oh well. Happy Hunting to all.

cladpirate

Apr 24, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may be crazy but I have not jumped on the nox yet either, although I have been tempted. I still find stuff with the excal and bought me a tdi beach hunter for a depth advantage. Tdi already scored me a small women’s 10k with diamonds at around 13-14 inches. I like knobs and detectors that go beep.

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Bold Coast & Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Blue Excal 1000, Enox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to say it but the Nox gets my vote. I started this whole journey with the blue Excal in 2000 and used it exclusively till I bought my Nox last year. I hunted with the Excal all over the Treasure Coast of FL and had great success there.., on salt water beaches. I moved to Maine 3 1/2 years ago and was using the Excal on the tidal beaches here but and in brackish water. Salt water till the tide goes out, then fresh water but with the salt and minerals still around. Very strange situation that I didn't feel I was getting the best of. Plus, I never had much success with the Excal on dry land and strict fresh water lakes and streams. I used the Excal here for 2 years and then bought my Nox. Hit the same spots again and was pulling all kinds of stuff out of the mud where I had detected before. Given where I hunt, I'm now able to transition quickly from dry land to fresh water to salt water (happens almost every time I detect) and feel very confident in what I'm doing. Maybe there are those who can use the Excal all over, I don't know. I know what has worked for me. The Pros: The Excal is a battle tank, will take a beating, easy to use, goes deep and I never questioned it staying water tight. The Nox is lightweight yes, perhaps to a fault, water tight (so far), quick to change up detecting modes and coils, and maybe the biggest for me, cordless!!! Cons: The Excal headphones and hardwired coil, weight, really just a saltwater beach detector (at least in my eyes). The Nox has great electronics but the rest of the machine is cheap (in my opinion), top heavy and always falls over when sitting on the ground, stock shaft is cheap and wobbly, the wire running down to the coil is just waiting to get broken in the way it sticks out, the processor/screen sticks up like a thumb and I always wonder if today will be the day it breaks off. In other words, great electronics whole bad design.
Even with all that "I" would still say the Nox. (Of course you can't discount what OBN says. He's the Excal pro!)

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to say it but the Nox gets my vote. I started this whole journey with the blue Excal in 2000 and used it exclusively till I bought my Nox last year. I hunted with the Excal all over the Treasure Coast of FL and had great success there.., on salt water beaches. I moved to Maine 3 1/2 years ago and was using the Excal on the tidal beaches here but and in brackish water. Salt water till the tide goes out, then fresh water but with the salt and minerals still around. Very strange situation that I didn't feel I was getting the best of. Plus, I never had much success with the Excal on dry land and strict fresh water lakes and streams. I used the Excal here for 2 years and then bought my Nox. Hit the same spots again and was pulling all kinds of stuff out of the mud where I had detected before. Given where I hunt, I'm now able to transition quickly from dry land to fresh water to salt water (happens almost every time I detect) and feel very confident in what I'm doing. Maybe there are those who can use the Excal all over, I don't know. I know what has worked for me. The Pros: The Excal is a battle tank, will take a beating, easy to use, goes deep and I never questioned it staying water tight. The Nox is lightweight yes, perhaps to a fault, water tight (so far), quick to change up detecting modes and coils, and maybe the biggest for me, cordless!!! Cons: The Excal headphones and hardwired coil, weight, really just a saltwater beach detector (at least in my eyes). The Nox has great electronics but the rest of the machine is cheap (in my opinion), top heavy and always falls over when sitting on the ground, stock shaft is cheap and wobbly, the wire running down to the coil is just waiting to get broken in the way it sticks out, the processor/screen sticks up like a thumb and I always wonder if today will be the day it breaks off. In other words, great electronics whole bad design.
Even with all that "I" would still say the Nox. (Of course you can't discount what OBN says. He's the Excal pro!)

Well... if the nox is as "cheap made" as you say it is...

Hope you find enough to buy another one as a backup... and for repairs of both. heh

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other

I've found, never knock another detector. Every place is different and every hunter is different. Best to use what works for you. The Nox does have a lot of perks and the price is way worth it. Nice Machine for sure and a worthy machine that has proven itself. I'm sure if I hunted the wet sand or dry I would be using one there.

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Bold Coast & Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Blue Excal 1000, Enox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well... if the nox is as "cheap made" as you say it is...

Hope you find enough to buy another one as a backup... and for repairs of both. heh
To me, the design went into the electronics and to get it out to the public. As a person who's worked in design for a long time, it's a bad design. I always find myself trying to protect it. That shouldn't be. Not having to use headphones or corded headphones certainly helps the situation here. I knew I was going to destroy my Excal trying to drag it trough the thickets and cedar swamps. The headphones constantly got hung on something. That being said, I would rather destroy an $800 machine over a $1400 machine. I'm sure I have found plenty enough to get a new machine or repairs or both but Geez, I don't want it to come to that. I'll just hold my breathe and hope for the best. Maybe the Nox 2.0 will address my concerns..? By the way, your reply runs through my head all the time. Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread