A Conundrum; Different Detector or Dig Pull/Push tabs and Cents?

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My dilemma; I’ve been hitting hard this section of beach with targets that are difficult to recover and I’ve raked the place clean of good targets (based on ID numbers and sound) with my primary detector and only have suspected pull/push tabs and cents remaining. I have one more hunt. The dilemma is that I can use my back-up detector and rescan the area and hope that my back-up detector might pick-up or “see” something my primary detector perhaps could not (other than pull/push tabs and cents). Or, I can continue to use my primary detector and concentrate on recovering as many suspected pull/push tabs and cents as possible and hope that one or more is actually a gold piece. What should I do?
?????????

Upvote 0

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Overlooking pull tabs on the beach? Never. A cent will be a cent, but a pull tab has potential.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Overlooking pull tabs on the beach? Never. A cent will be a cent, but a pull tab has potential.

dont even pass up cents. My wedding ring rings up like a zinc penny and its not even that large.

Lawrence, first we need to know what type of beach you are talking about. A lake beach is a completely different animal from an ocean beach.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
almost all my diamond rings (not going to even say small gold cause that's a given)
rang up in pull tabsand zinc range - most people know - I try and dig it all and get all
to me machine should not really matter

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Dig it all. VDI and audio tones are tools, not definitive indicators. Only years of experience digging everything will help you mitigate the limitations of your detector.

Time for more coffee.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is just from a handful of hunts and a few trips
if i did not dig all this - i guarentee i would have left gold behind
and most of these spots are pounded by guys that crank their discrim. up and passed all of this
and they passed up gold too
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/members/29748-albums4911.html
good example is the diamond ring I got at south beach Miami
was found in a patch of trash - it was down deep and there were others hunters that pound this exact spot
some have dismissed it as a fresh drop - I guarantee it was not - the inside back of the diamond
had micro sand and coral encrusted behind the diamond I had to pick out with a dental pick
so it had been there awhile and it took 3 scoops to get it - it was down deep and with all the guys I know
hit in the trough there - they missed it because they either had their discrim. up (which by the amount
of nickels and trash I pulled around it - I believe was the case) or they did not want to deal with the amount of bad signals they moved on.
I have found many others the same way - just a few other examples
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.flickr.com/photos/casper-2/6831926593/
the diamond shown in article was found yrs ago in almost the exact spot as the one i got in Nov. in Fla.
- but im asked all the time how to get more gold and how to get more diamonds - diamonds is just luck
or hit more beaches with people with money. Now OBN does research and hits lots of old spots and old virgin spots
if you can do what he does - you should increase youre gold (and get out 300 days a year ...son of a b :tongue3:)
If you dig it all like i do - you should increase youre gold too. My #s have dropped off last few years because
of health issues but if you look back at 2012 - which was my last good year - i got out like 70-80 times
Im not retired yet but wonder how i would of done had i not had to work.
none of the spots that year were virgin all were spots others had given up on thinking they were cleaned out
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqfyjBfCuzo&t=91s[/FONT][SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]
[/FONT]

OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey Everyone, thanks for the responses and here is a pic of what I'm working. It takes a minimum of 1 minute and I generally give-up after 10 minutes of digging for each target and always dig with my hands at first. The rocks range from a few inches to a few feet. There are a lot of targets. I have cherry picked the gold that falls outside my pull/push tab (14-17) and cent (17-24) ranges on my Nox 800 (most gold rings (30 of 30 in my personal study) fall in the 3-21 range on the Nox 800). I have also recovered targets in the 14-24 range that yielded a consistent response. I'll post pics here later (e.g., 10k class ring at "16" on Nox 800). Because this is grueling work, and I can barely move my hands at the end of the day, a strategy is necessary beyond "dig everything". I suppose eventually I will dig everything, but priorities priorities.

What Im working 2020.jpg

As a caveat, my back up detector is a CTX 3030 and there is a large difference between the gold range (usually under 33) and the range for cents (37-43). So the gold that falls in the cent range on the Nox 800 (17-21 at least) could be separated by using my CTX. That is the theory, any ways.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig it all for now. I can tell pull tabs 95% of the time, but that last 5% is golden!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread