A Conundrum; Different Detector or Dig Pull/Push tabs and Cents?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree16Likes
  • 1 Post By LawrencetheMDer
  • 3 Post By TooManyHobbies
  • 4 Post By Jason in Enid
  • 3 Post By CASPER-2
  • 2 Post By galenrog
  • 1 Post By LawrencetheMDer
  • 1 Post By smokeythecat
  • 1 Post By Jason in Enid

Thread: A Conundrum; Different Detector or Dig Pull/Push tabs and Cents?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Feb 2014
    Ohio and Florida
    CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils, Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 w 11" and 15" coils, Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pro Find 35 Pointer Vibra-Tector 730 w 4" coil
    1748 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

A Conundrum; Different Detector or Dig Pull/Push tabs and Cents?

My dilemma; Iíve been hitting hard this section of beach with targets that are difficult to recover and Iíve raked the place clean of good targets (based on ID numbers and sound) with my primary detector and only have suspected pull/push tabs and cents remaining. I have one more hunt. The dilemma is that I can use my back-up detector and rescan the area and hope that my back-up detector might pick-up or ďseeĒ something my primary detector perhaps could not (other than pull/push tabs and cents). Or, I can continue to use my primary detector and concentrate on recovering as many suspected pull/push tabs and cents as possible and hope that one or more is actually a gold piece. What should I do?
    SD51 likes this.
    Metal Detecting Goal in Life is to Find Wife a 2ct Diamond Ring (so she'll be quiet about all my metal detecting).

us
    Dec 2007
    CT
    Whites MXT, DetectorPro HH Underwater
    1179 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Overlooking pull tabs on the beach? Never. A cent will be a cent, but a pull tab has potential.
    BLK HOLE, CASPER-2 and SD51 like this.
    Oldest Coin Finds to Date
    1737-1760 KGII Hibernia Half Cent ('10)
    1787 Fugio Large Cent ('15)
    1869 Two Cent ('09)
    1867-1883 Variety I Sheild Nickel ('09)
    1900 Barber Dime ('13)
    1929 Standing Liberty Quarter ('17)
    1944 Walking Liberty Half Dollar ('09)

us
    Silver Fiend

Oct 2009
    8816 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TooManyHobbies View Post
    Overlooking pull tabs on the beach? Never. A cent will be a cent, but a pull tab has potential.
    dont even pass up cents. My wedding ring rings up like a zinc penny and its not even that large.

Lawrence, first we need to know what type of beach you are talking about. A lake beach is a completely different animal from an ocean beach.
    You can follow me in other places.
    My Blog
    My YouTube
    My Twitter
    My Instagram
    My Facebook

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    16020 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    almost all my diamond rings (not going to even say small gold cause that's a given)
    rang up in pull tabsand zinc range - most people know - I try and dig it all and get all
    to me machine should not really matter
    DJWEHAGE, TooManyHobbies and SD51 like this.
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

Feb 2006
    1481 times
    Dig it all. VDI and audio tones are tools, not definitive indicators. Only years of experience digging everything will help you mitigate the limitations of your detector.

Time for more coffee.
    CASPER-2 and SD51 like this.

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    16020 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    this is just from a handful of hunts and a few trips
    if i did not dig all this - i guarentee i would have left gold behind
    and most of these spots are pounded by guys that crank their discrim. up and passed all of this
    and they passed up gold too
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/members/29748-albums4911.html
    good example is the diamond ring I got at south beach Miami
    was found in a patch of trash - it was down deep and there were others hunters that pound this exact spot
    some have dismissed it as a fresh drop - I guarantee it was not - the inside back of the diamond
    had micro sand and coral encrusted behind the diamond I had to pick out with a dental pick
    so it had been there awhile and it took 3 scoops to get it - it was down deep and with all the guys I know
    hit in the trough there - they missed it because they either had their discrim. up (which by the amount
    of nickels and trash I pulled around it - I believe was the case) or they did not want to deal with the amount of bad signals they moved on.
    I have found many others the same way - just a few other examples
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/casper-2/6831926593/
    the diamond shown in article was found yrs ago in almost the exact spot as the one i got in Nov. in Fla.
    - but im asked all the time how to get more gold and how to get more diamonds - diamonds is just luck
    or hit more beaches with people with money. Now OBN does research and hits lots of old spots and old virgin spots
    if you can do what he does - you should increase youre gold (and get out 300 days a year ...son of a b )
    If you dig it all like i do - you should increase youre gold too. My #s have dropped off last few years because
    of health issues but if you look back at 2012 - which was my last good year - i got out like 70-80 times
    Im not retired yet but wonder how i would of done had i not had to work.
    none of the spots that year were virgin all were spots others had given up on thinking they were cleaned out
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqfyjBfCuzo&t=91s
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

us
    Feb 2014
    Ohio and Florida
    CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils, Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 w 11" and 15" coils, Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pro Find 35 Pointer Vibra-Tector 730 w 4" coil
    1748 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Hey Everyone, thanks for the responses and here is a pic of what I'm working. It takes a minimum of 1 minute and I generally give-up after 10 minutes of digging for each target and always dig with my hands at first. The rocks range from a few inches to a few feet. There are a lot of targets. I have cherry picked the gold that falls outside my pull/push tab (14-17) and cent (17-24) ranges on my Nox 800 (most gold rings (30 of 30 in my personal study) fall in the 3-21 range on the Nox 800). I have also recovered targets in the 14-24 range that yielded a consistent response. I'll post pics here later (e.g., 10k class ring at "16" on Nox 800). Because this is grueling work, and I can barely move my hands at the end of the day, a strategy is necessary beyond "dig everything". I suppose eventually I will dig everything, but priorities priorities.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	What Im working 2020.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	1790325

As a caveat, my back up detector is a CTX 3030 and there is a large difference between the gold range (usually under 33) and the range for cents (37-43). So the gold that falls in the cent range on the Nox 800 (17-21 at least) could be separated by using my CTX. That is the theory, any ways.
    SD51 likes this.
    Metal Detecting Goal in Life is to Find Wife a 2ct Diamond Ring (so she'll be quiet about all my metal detecting).

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel and a backhoe
    28108 times
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Dig it all for now. I can tell pull tabs 95% of the time, but that last 5% is golden!
    SD51 likes this.

us
    Silver Fiend

Oct 2009
    8816 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LawrencetheMDer View Post
    Hey Everyone, thanks for the responses and here is a pic of what I'm working.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	What Im working 2020.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	1790325
    Thats your beach?! Yech, it would have to be loaded for me to hunt that. What a digging nightmare.
    Peyton Manning likes this.
    You can follow me in other places.
    My Blog
    My YouTube
    My Twitter
    My Instagram
    My Facebook

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links