I'm going to the beach, looking for tips and tricks

red83hd

Dec 22, 2019
NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well heading to Fla. in April planning to bring my detector(when I make my final decision on one) I've never really hunted a beach before, any tips would be a great help to me. Is there better places than others to hunt - waist deep water, shallow, or wet sand. Is low tide the best time to hunt or high tide. I've heard entryways are good. Do more people hang out near the life guard chairs? Any other suggestions you guys might have? whats a good scoop

Upvote 0

FloridaSon

Sep 29, 2018
Between Half Reale Beach and Nuestra Seflora de La
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Last edited:

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well if i ever get there i'll have to remember that...................too ! both sound like bew tee full places

Yeah well,Beached change,techniques don't :)

sandmartin

Feb 20, 2015
Scarborough, England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great tips guys - Sanman That's great insight I didn't think about some of those ideas. The thong idea is great but they'd have to start evacuating Fla now if I showed up in a Thong LOL. I decided to get a minelab equinox 800 for a beach detector.

Just my view, if you are mainly beach detecting I would get the 600, you will find just as much, and put the $200 you have saved on a pair of Gray Ghost Amphibian waterproof headphones.

Last edited:

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1792369 You probably know this, but some people might not.Set up a grid pattern when beach hunting ,using your foot prints as a guide. Make the grid as big or small as you feel comfortable with ,just like mowing the lawn,back & forth.Pix.included was from 2 weeks ago on Melbourne beach......Good luck :)
PS ...1 foot of sand was remover in 1 day due to high winds & waves as can be seen here.

Good advice. I live on S. Hutchinson island and when I grid I drag my scoop so that I know where I have been. There are so many existing foot prints that you can't see where you have been, drag the scoop.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting