mcsteve

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2018
Elora, ON
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With all of the cold and ice up here in the great white north, I figured I’d head south to Orlando for a few days. Bring the detector along as I figured Daytona area as well as Clearwater are not that far and I could spend a day on the Atlantic and Gulf side swinging the detector.

This will be my first time detecting in FL so I was wondering if anyone had any tips on areas to avoid/look out for. The last thing I want to do is end up violating some laws simply by being unaware.

Thanks for any advice you may have.
Steve

Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Orlando is like 2 hrs one way to gulf coast beaches and hour to atlantic

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

unless there's a minor fender bender on I-4 then it's 4 hours to the Atlantic and 8 hours to the Gulf. There are a lot of out of state gawkers on that highway and I heard there's a section of it that's deemed the most dangerous highway in the U.S. of A.

Presentlly Gulf water temp 64 degrees near Clearwater.

OP
OP
M

mcsteve

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2018
Elora, ON
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya. Done the drive over to the Atlantic many times. I stay in Orlando to visit some friends but make day trips to the Daytona area usually. I’ve not been out to the Gulf side on a day trip yet but have stayed on Sanibel many times. If it’s 2 hours min then I’ll probably not make that run. In all likelihood I’ll be day tripping to the east coast for sure. Hopefully for at least 2 days.

I just picked up my AT Pro last year and had a few ops to swing it on Hilton Head as well as at home but am itching to try some FL beach time. My expectations for finds are not really high, just looking to get some time walking the sand hunting.

Thanks

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Cocoa Beach is about 1 hour from Orlando and St Pete is about 1:45 mins. The Treasure Coast is a bit further south but not a bad drive...2 hours +/-

If hunting along the treasure coast, stay out of the water. That’s leased area. The beach is fine however.

The tourist beaches are all fair game.

OP
OP
M

mcsteve

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2018
Elora, ON
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If hunting along the treasure coast, stay out of the water. That’s leased area. The beach is fine however.

The tourist beaches are all fair game.
When you say, stay out of the water, is that up to the high water line or literally in the water?

ROBOTCOP13

Jul 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the Treasure coast don't go any deeper than ankle deep.

OP
OP
M

mcsteve

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2018
Elora, ON
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tips all. I'm heading to the coast today and will "stay out of the water". I've also read quite a bit of the treasure beaches report for more perspective on what to look for between the water line and the dunes. Here's to finding more than just bottle caps and pull tabs :icon_thumright:

FloridaSon

Sep 29, 2018
Between Half Reale Beach and Nuestra Seflora de La
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Thanks for the tips all. I'm heading to the coast today and will "stay out of the water". I've also read quite a bit of the treasure beaches report for more perspective on what to look for between the water line and the dunes. Here's to finding more than just bottle caps and pull tabs :icon_thumright:

Hey mcsteve, you must have brought the cold down with you! Good luck!

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
Orlando at 6 A.M.

[FONT=&quot]Current conditions at[h=2]Orlando Executive Airport (KORL)[/h]Lat: 28.55°NLon: 81.34°WElev: 102ft.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
nfu.png
Smoke
36°F
2°C

Humidity50%
Wind SpeedNW 14 G 21 mph
Barometer30.16 in (1021.8 mb)
Dewpoint19°F (-7°C)
Visibility10.00 mi
Wind Chill27°F (-3°C)
Last update22 Jan 5:53 am EST

[/FONT]

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, don't walk up the dunes if there are any there. The dunes help prevent erosion.

FloridaSon

Sep 29, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:

FloridaSon

Sep 29, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
With all of the cold and ice up here in the great white north, I figured I’d head south to Orlando for a few days. Bring the detector along as I figured Daytona area as well as Clearwater are not that far and I could spend a day on the Atlantic and Gulf side swinging the detector.
Steve

Steve, heard some reales were found today! Any of them yours I hope? Remember: Tomorrow may be the day...

OP
OP
M

mcsteve

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2018
Elora, ON
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I couldn't have picked a worst week to hit the beach :sad1: The wind during the early part of the week of the 19th was crazy strong along the treasure coast. Add the temp in the low 50's during the day made for a challenge. I got out to south of the Vero beach area on Tuesday and swung the detector for about 2.5 hours during the morning low tide but the surf was really kicked up by the wind. At times I felt like I was being sand blasted.

On a positive note, my family got me wireless headphones for my AT PRO at Christmas so this was a great time to test them out. They worked perfect and no cord to tangle when I was digging signals.

Despite the weather issues, I had a great time on the beach searching the high tide line at low tide. No great finds but I did locate some very interesting iron pieces. While they have no value I thing they'll make a nice addition to my conversation tray. Coins only totaled $3.40 so my afternoon coffee was a wash.

I'll be heading down to Weston at the end of March so I'll be planning some searching north of Ft Lauderdale that week. Hopefully the spring weather will be more kind and with more tourism that time of the year hopefully a few more coins, and if I'm lucky a ring or two, will find their way into my pouch.

Thanks again for the advice.

red83hd

Dec 22, 2019
NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the update mcsteve I was really hoping that you'd get some 1715 gold or silver - would like to see pics of the iron you found. wishing you luck!

OP
OP
M

mcsteve

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2018
Elora, ON
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
- would like to see pics of the iron you found.

Sorry for the delayed reply. Things kind of got crazy after my return and I am just getting back into the groove. :pain10:

These are 4 of the nicer pieces of iron that I found and have made their way into my trinket tray. They are definitely some form of iron as they are magnetic. There were quite a few pieces much smaller in the same area so likely one piece that has deteriorated into several over the time it was in the surf. I think I'll set them into some epoxy as a paper weight at some point when I gather enough interesting items from the east coast beaches. I'll be heading to Weston, FL at the end of March / 1st week of April so more opportunities to swing the mop and add to the trinket tray.

IMG_0352001.jpg IMG_0353002.jpg

red83hd

Dec 22, 2019
NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool finds! thanks for the pics. Good luck on your next trip

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread