Florida State Parks - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Florida State Parks

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    May 2012
    Central Florida
    Whites, Garrett Ace, and Fisher 1280X.
    229 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I usually ask at the entrance, but haven't heard any yes's yet, but it depends on the time of year too I believe. HH
    Bodkin, SD51 and AARC like this.
    Sometimes the right answer.....is no answer at all

us
    John

Dec 2018
    Fl.
    Garrett
    173 times
    I asked a Ranger about Shell Key when we were there and it was a definite no. That was a bummer. Not sure about the sandbar that has formed on the NW corner where all the boaters party. Any info?
    AARC and SD51 like this.

us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    Bahia Del Espiritu Santo - "The Bay of the Holy Spirit” - La Florida
    JW 8X V.2 - ML X2 - VP 580
    55742 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Flipperfla View Post
    I asked a Ranger about Shell Key when we were there and it was a definite no. That was a bummer. Not sure about the sandbar that has formed on the NW corner where all the boaters party. Any info?
    yeah its been awhile since I have been there... I volunteered there for a couple years and was on the "in" anyway due to State permit... which I hear they rarely issue anymore.

As far I Fort Desoto was concerned... I also had an issued permit card from head of Park.... and they all knew me there... I assisted the park in multiple ways and also in location of ordinance in off limit areas for them.

Did the parking lots through the pavements etc etc.

So... I NEVER got any "flack" from anyone ever... so basically I could detect anywhere I wanted there.

Now... this was ummmmmmm 6-7 years ago now at least.
    Last edited by AARC; Jan 22, 2020 at 08:18 AM.
    SD51 and Flipperfla like this.
    DETECT WITH RESPECT - Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...en-24-7-a.html

us
    John

Dec 2018
    Fl.
    Garrett
    173 times
    We used to camp on Shell Key all the time before they cracked down, which was a good idea because it was getting out of control. Now we stay in the campground. What about Egmont Key? Those gun batteries on the west side would be great to detect.
    AARC likes this.

us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    55742 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Flipperfla View Post
    We used to camp on Shell Key all the time before they cracked down, which was a good idea because it was getting out of control. Now we stay in the campground. What about Egmont Key? Those gun batteries on the west side would be great to detect.
    Egmont is a National Park... I made the mistake of setting foot on that sand once with a detector in hand.

As soon as I stepped off boat I saw a four wheeler ripping toward me.

He was not happy... it was all sorted out very quickly... as I di not even know it was not part of the State park system etc etc.

So no... Don't even think about it... they are SERIOUS.
    DETECT WITH RESPECT - Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...en-24-7-a.html

us
    Dec 2019
    NC
    37 times
    welcome to the forum!

us
    Dig everything!

Sep 2018
    Between Half Reale Beach and Nuestra Seflora de Las Nieves
    Garrett, Equinox 800
    189 times

Florida State Parks

Quote Originally Posted by SD51 View Post

“Metal detectors may be used at coastal parks between the waterline and toe of the dune, as determined by the Park Manager,
    Snorkel Doesn’t this part (between the waterline and toe of dune) from above mean no water hunting?
    "There is something in a treasure that fastens upon a man's mind. He will pray and blaspheme and still persevere, and will curse the day he ever heard of it, and will let his last hour come upon him unawares, still believing that he missed it only by a foot..." Joseph Conrad

us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    55742 times
    It seems after poking around... since the surge of new metal detectorists...

and damage caused by those who are inexperienced in the detecting etiquette has caused some of the parks to take a different stance.

Seems complaints of damage top the list of causes.

us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    55742 times
    A metal detector operator must respect public property in the course of metal detecting.
    Public property cannot be harmed or defaced in any manner during a scan or retrieval of any discovered items.
    Metal detecting organizations such as the Federation of Metal Detector and Archaeological Clubs also have ethical codes they require members to uphold.
    This involves the refilling of holes made during retrieval attempts, the disposal of all discovered trash, and proper interaction with local authorities.

While discoveries made on a Florida beach can be considered under the general “finders-keepers” rule, anything within the water is subject to a different set of laws. Should a metal detector operator dive with his equipment, he must be cautious of the area he is in and of any discoveries made there. Objects that have been in Florida waters for more than 50 years are considered state property and illegal to retrieve by private operators. Also, waters adjacent to national parks are off limits to treasure hunters of any sort.

Consequences

Under Florida’s State Laws of Antiquities, the breaking of any applicable laws concerning the abuse of public land, trespassing on private property, or the illegal removal of state property is punishable by applicable fines, imprisonment, and the confiscation of all metal detecting tools and equipment.

us
    John

Dec 2018
    Fl.
    Garrett
    173 times
    If they wanted to be real nasty they could probably take your boat also as “equipment”!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links