Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this page...

https://www.floridastateparks.org/plan-your-visit/faqs

This is in the page regarding metal detecting...

Can I use my metal detector in Florida State Parks?
The use of metal detectors is allowed in certain designated areas in Florida State Parks. Metal detectors may be used at coastal parks between the waterline and toe of the dune, as determined by the Park Manager, except at archaeological sites within the zone. Metal detectors may also be used during authorized archaeological research projects, and to recover lost personal items, with supervision of a park staff member. Please check with the park of your choice for special details and arrangements.

OP
OP
S

snorkel

Tenderfoot
Aug 29, 2019
Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Excaliber II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The web page noted does not address being permitted, or not permitted to metal detect in the water of coastal parks, and does not cite and law or statute.
So, my question still remains. Can anyone help answer this?

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Good imfo to know.:icon_thumright:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The web page noted does not address being permitted, or not permitted to metal detect in the water of coastal parks, and does not cite and law or statute.
So, my question still remains. Can anyone help answer this?

Welcome to tnet.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cant you contact parks and recreation or land management, I think the worst they would do is ask you to leave

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome to tnet . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :hello:

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there is a state salvage lease you still can’t detect in the water, only from mean low tide to the dune.

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the parks have different rules, it is up to the Park Manager. Sebastian... Dunes to the water line. Fort Clinch...used to be yes now No. Fort Matanzas...No. Fort Desoto and surrounding Islands...No. Sebastian is strictly enforced, they have spotter planes and people on the beach, if you detect in the water you will be arrested. When I ask I always include in the conversation that we pick up all the trash we come across. Florida knows where the booty is and almost all the hot spots are closed either conservation, wilderness areas, preserves, parks, wildlife areas, Refuge.....whatever... to keep you out.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the parks have different rules, it is up to the Park Manager. Sebastian... Dunes to the water line. Fort Clinch...used to be yes now No. Fort Matanzas...No. Fort Desoto and surrounding Islands...No. Sebastian is strictly enforced, they have spotter planes and people on the beach, if you detect in the water you will be arrested. When I ask I always include in the conversation that we pick up all the trash we come across. Florida knows where the booty is and almost all the hot spots are closed either conservation, wilderness areas, preserves, parks, wildlife areas, Refuge.....whatever... to keep you out.

"Fort Desoto and surrounding Islands" - must obtain permission.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree....... they seem to have different rules......more so the inland ones, but the parks are different. I also agree..... if you want a confirmation .... talk to the park manager of the park you want to hunt or call FWA. I wouldnt try the ..... its better to ask forgiveness than permission..... FWA rangers like their jobs.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been told and heard several times that hunting in the water at Florida state parks is illegal.
But I can not find the law, or ordinance that actually puts this in writing.
Does anyone know what law or statute says water hunting in state parks is not allowed?
Where can it be found?

Snorkel, I know you're asking for the specific law or ordinance restricting detecting in the water in Florida State Parks. It's not easy to find it.

I looked here...

https://www.flrules.org/default.asp

to try and find the specific Florida Administrative Code without much luck.

I found this page...

https://legalbeagle.com/7219970-florida-laws-metal-detecting.html

that states, "Metal detecting in Florida is governed by the State Laws of Antiquities, established by the Federal Archaeological Resource Preservation Act of 1979".

L

l2hunt

I usually ask at the entrance, but haven't heard any yes's yet, but it depends on the time of year too I believe. HH

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked a Ranger about Shell Key when we were there and it was a definite no. That was a bummer. Not sure about the sandbar that has formed on the NW corner where all the boaters party. Any info?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked a Ranger about Shell Key when we were there and it was a definite no. That was a bummer. Not sure about the sandbar that has formed on the NW corner where all the boaters party. Any info?

yeah its been awhile since I have been there... I volunteered there for a couple years and was on the "in" anyway due to State permit... which I hear they rarely issue anymore.

As far I Fort Desoto was concerned... I also had an issued permit card from head of Park.... and they all knew me there... I assisted the park in multiple ways and also in location of ordinance in off limit areas for them.

Did the parking lots through the pavements etc etc.

So... I NEVER got any "flack" from anyone ever... so basically I could detect anywhere I wanted there.

Now... this was ummmmmmm 6-7 years ago now at least.

Last edited:

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We used to camp on Shell Key all the time before they cracked down, which was a good idea because it was getting out of control. Now we stay in the campground. What about Egmont Key? Those gun batteries on the west side would be great to detect.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We used to camp on Shell Key all the time before they cracked down, which was a good idea because it was getting out of control. Now we stay in the campground. What about Egmont Key? Those gun batteries on the west side would be great to detect.

Egmont is a National Park... I made the mistake of setting foot on that sand once with a detector in hand.

As soon as I stepped off boat I saw a four wheeler ripping toward me.

He was not happy... it was all sorted out very quickly... as I di not even know it was not part of the State park system etc etc.

So no... Don't even think about it... they are SERIOUS.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions