Anyone using a Paddle Board, Jet Ski, Kayak or similar to hunt with?

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
There are many islands/islet’s near me, where to get to them it would be very useful to have a water craft. I have an inflatable SUP, and I will likely start using that. I would be interested in hearing about anyone who has used a water craft of some kind for hunting. Perhaps to go to sandbars, islands, etc. Also any pics of it loaded up would be interesting too.

Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Joe, do you run the Yamaha in salt water ? I've heard the salt
environment really chews up the jet propulsion.

Use both the Suzuki 70 and the Yamaha Ski in salt water. I do flush both as soon as I get home since I don't keep them in the water. I would imagine those who never pull them out and have Piers would have issues for sure. I do know the Suzuki has sacrificial anodes that need be check every couple of years. Not sure on the ski, but I think it will out last me...Seems like every time out is a adventure...The boat does gets the most use this time of year...

Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
After seeing AquaChigger use his jet-powered Mokai up & down rivers in VA, I sold up my hand-paddled kayak and got a Mokai for myself. This thing goes just about anywhere, travels in 6" of water, approx. 16 MPH. Large enough cockpit for all my gear, and especially useful after the swimming season closes, many facilities close off their road access to the beach. The Mokai takes me their just fine. View attachment 1793142 View attachment 1793143

Boy I really Like That setup!!

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My cousin built a flat bottom jet boat out of an old 2-3 person jet ski. You guys would love it, goes fast enough that you need people and your cooler of beer in the front or it will without a doubt flip backwards. goes anywhere with like 6 inches of water, he even has a hydrofoil built into the bottom to prevent sucking air in the jet. It's only nemesis is really choppy water that gets air into the jets, though the hydrofoil solves most issues with that.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Been thinking of getting a Kayak...but once I got to where I want to go (about 2-3 miles open Gulf), I'd probably be too tired to metal detect!

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After seeing AquaChigger use his jet-powered Mokai up & down rivers in VA, I sold up my hand-paddled kayak and got a Mokai for myself. This thing goes just about anywhere, travels in 6" of water, approx. 16 MPH. Large enough cockpit for all my gear, and especially useful after the swimming season closes, many facilities close off their road access to the beach. The Mokai takes me their just fine. View attachment 1793142 View attachment 1793143

Ctdd, will it tow a kayak? I'm not getting one, so if you use it next time we go out, either I'm climbing in or you're towing me.
For $6000, I'll put a new outboard on my bass boat and tow you. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread