Anyone using a Paddle Board, Jet Ski, Kayak or similar to hunt with?

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
There are many islands/islet’s near me, where to get to them it would be very useful to have a water craft. I have an inflatable SUP, and I will likely start using that. I would be interested in hearing about anyone who has used a water craft of some kind for hunting. Perhaps to go to sandbars, islands, etc. Also any pics of it loaded up would be interesting too.

Upvote 0

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Contact Joe (ole beach nut) he started out on a jet ski and now has moved to a small boat. BUT..... hes done a LOT of research which has paid off big. We think outside the box...... but we need to also think..... is it a waist of money i can afford.... say boat, jet ski..... hookah or dive equipment.... will i use it enough? Blind squirrel hunting sometimes pays off...... but ya have to have a plan or be willing to throw your money away.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
raft.JPG

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Most of my treasure has come from using the Boat or Ski. I like the 17 foot Triumph 70hp for the distant beach's, it can come in close to shore, about 9 inch draft. The ski is the same Yamaha xs1100. Both have paid for themselves for they have got me to spots that no one else can get to...both bought used.

OBN-0030.jpg OBN-00.jpg

OP
OP
signal

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Very nice OBN, I like that you have a boarding ladder and nice floating net too

terry g

May 9, 2009
In the Mediterranean on a yacht.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
2 x Excalibur ll, Excal 1000,
There are many islands/islet’s near me, where to get to them it would be very useful to have a water craft. I have an inflatable SUP, and I will likely start using that. I would be interested in hearing about anyone who has used a water craft of some kind for hunting. Perhaps to go to sandbars, islands, etc. Also any pics of it loaded up would be interesting too.

We have lived on a yacht for most of the time since 1995 in different parts of the world. I also have an inflatable SUP, They are OK in calm water, you need to secure your equipment well, if you fall off its normally in deep water and you are too busy trying to get back on to worry about your gear.
I mainly use a 3 meter inflatable rib with small outboard to get to the beach. Most popular swim beaches have restrictions on water craft mixing with swimmers... buoys etc.. so you will need to park away from them or carry your SUP ashore and the are easy to steal.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are safe from thieves with that... a bit sloooow

It was cheap...

Part of my neighbors fence.

:P jk

Um... yeah.... will have to dig up a few photos.

Last edited:

MetalArchSC

Feb 14, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to use a kayak. It was perfect for hunting. Used it on SC lakes and rivers. Could get into real shallow spots.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only used the kayak once so far. 1/4 mile paddle from boat launch to a "resident parking only" beach. I have a couple other spots to try this year.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice OBN, I like that you have a boarding ladder and nice floating net too
Thank You.....
At 67 I needed to feel safe in knowing I can get back on the ski "easily" if I happen to fall off and as far as the ladder for the boat I love it, coming and going.

On what to buy..........Go small........ reevaluate and go bigger if needed. I tested the waters by bumming a few boat rides from friends, then i seen the need for having my own.

I know Stewielouie is on Tnet also and does very well with his ski..I'm sure he will chime in sooner or later..

L

l2hunt

started using a kayak last summer and it's been getting me around pretty good, less ticks crawling on me through the heavier vegetated areas too hahahah! it was worth the hundred I p[aid for it. HH

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking... of making my own metal detectors...

lots of things around to get parts...

54ca643368cc2_-_string-trimmers-01-0411-md.jpg

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have used cz21 coils and some pi pro boxes if you are serious of trying to make some frankensteins

stewielouie

May 14, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
MXT, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use my jet ski. Its a 2007 Seadoo 155hp. I mainly use it in freshwater lakes. I can fit everything I need for a day out on it. I like it because my main spots are in the middle of the lake's. Meaning unless you travel by water to get to it, your not getting to it. I see lots of pictures online of all these places where people gather in shallow salt water and moor up and party. If I was in FLA I would be hitting those places on the regular. Piece of advice, if you go the jet ski route. Try to find one with a closed loop cooling. Meaning it has a radiator and not using the salt water to cool the motor. Lot less flushing salt from your rig. Best decision I made about how to get from spot to spot, ride down the lake 60mph, get to my spot, screw the dog tie down screw in the bottom and I am hunting in minutes.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brand spanking new 2019 14' Alumacraft jon boat, with added in flat deck and new 9.9 hp 4 cycle Mercury. Goes fast and can beach it easily.

ctdirtdigger

May 14, 2015
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Excalibur (2), GPX 4500, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe, do you run the Yamaha in salt water ? I've heard the salt
environment really chews up the jet propulsion.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Inflatable kayak with paddle for $50 delivered off craigslist. The guy even brought it to my office inflated lol. My boss now knows I'm nuts. Wish I could go jetski but I don't think my hyundai could tow much. The inflatable is great I can put it in the trunk, blow it up in 10-15 min carry it up to a half mile on my head and shallow draft.

ctdirtdigger

May 14, 2015
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Excalibur (2), GPX 4500, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After seeing AquaChigger use his jet-powered Mokai up & down rivers in VA, I sold up my hand-paddled kayak and got a Mokai for myself. This thing goes just about anywhere, travels in 6" of water, approx. 16 MPH. Large enough cockpit for all my gear, and especially useful after the swimming season closes, many facilities close off their road access to the beach. The Mokai takes me their just fine. 20190628_141900.jpg 20190905_140348.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions