Help with coil size please
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree16Likes
  • 2 Post By NWMP
  • 1 Post By dewcon4414
  • 2 Post By cudamark
  • 2 Post By LawrencetheMDer
  • 1 Post By NWMP
  • 1 Post By NWMP
  • 4 Post By AARC
  • 3 Post By SanMan

Thread: Help with coil size please

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    ca
    Nov 2009
    Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
    Tesoro Tejon, AT Pro, Nokta Makro Simplex, still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
    369 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Help with coil size please

I am finally getting it together somewhat with water detecting. But I do have a question that pops into the relatively empty space between my ears...... a larger coil 11 or more inches offers more coverage, but also more water resistance. A smaller coil has less coverage but should be quicker/easier to cut through the water. Do any of you have a water coil size preference related to these factors ? Thanks for your input.
    LawrencetheMDer and SanMan like this.

us
    "Dew" Meeker

Mar 2006
    Gulf Coast, Fl
    MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
    1128 times
    Honorable Mentions (4)
    EVERY machine i use for in the water hunting is the standard coil. Im not using a TINY coil out there. You will different views on a larger coil..... more personal preference much like MACHINE WEIGHT. Im looking for gold..... if i want a work out ill go to GOLD GYM. In the water it can be more difficult to PP.... because a lot of times you cant even see the coil.
    NWMP likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    8059 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    With me it varies depending on a few factors. Where I'm hunting, what I'm looking for, and the conditions. In heavy surf, or with a big surge or undertow. a standard 10-11" or smaller coil helps. If it's nice and calm, I like a BIG coil. If it's reasonably calm and I'm looking for a lost fresh drop, I like the big coil too, for the coverage. If there's lots of big rocks, crevices, coral, etc, I use a tiny coil to get into smaller spaces.
    NWMP and SanMan like this.
    Avitech Associate

Something new is coming, the Cygnus, don't be left behind. A 22nd century detector for 21st century detectorists.

us
    Feb 2014
    Ohio and Florida
    CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils, Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 w 11" and 15" coils, Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pro Find 35 Pointer Vibra-Tector 730 w 4" coil
    1748 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    For both my CTX 3030 (17") and Equinox 800 (15"), I prefer the larger coil for more coverage per swing (and not necessarily for more depth). A larger coil with small steps - ya don't miss much. An added bonus is that it forces you to swing the coil more slowly in and out of the water, and that is good. One exception is when the surf is up and your battling pounding waves that can make control of the coil difficult and recovering targets even more so. But I love my big coils!

Gold - 14
    Silver - 16
    NWMP and SanMan like this.
    Metal Detecting Goal in Life is to Find Wife a 2ct Diamond Ring (so she'll be quiet about all my metal detecting).

ca
    Nov 2009
    Tesoro Tejon, AT Pro, Nokta Makro Simplex, still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
    369 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dewcon4414 View Post
    EVERY machine i use for in the water hunting is the standard coil. Im not using a TINY coil out there. You will different views on a larger coil..... more personal preference much like MACHINE WEIGHT. Im looking for gold..... if i want a work out ill go to GOLD GYM. In the water it can be more difficult to PP.... because a lot of times you cant even see the coil.
    Yes sir. That was part of my concern. I am getting slowly better with my ATP in the water. My recovery scoop numbers are way down, with a few years practice. I slide coil forward and look for signal drop, put foot a little behind that, and it's usually pretty close. After seeing the freaking garbage can lid on my Simplex, a few new questions came to mind. Thanks for you reply. I appreciate other perspectives.
    SanMan likes this.

ca
    Nov 2009
    369 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cudamark View Post
    With me it varies depending on a few factors. Where I'm hunting, what I'm looking for, and the conditions. In heavy surf, or with a big surge or undertow. a standard 10-11" or smaller coil helps. If it's nice and calm, I like a BIG coil. If it's reasonably calm and I'm looking for a lost fresh drop, I like the big coil too, for the coverage. If there's lots of big rocks, crevices, coral, etc, I use a tiny coil to get into smaller spaces.
    Thanks. I am in fresh water lakes. Perhaps I am impatient and want to go too quickly. Ironically a larger coils water resistance will likely force me to slow down.
    SanMan likes this.

us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    Bahia Del Espiritu Santo - "The Bay of the Holy Spirit” - La Florida
    JW 8X V.2 - ML X2 - VP 580
    55742 times
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	keen%2520digger.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	1792869
    SanMan, alan m, red83hd and 1 others like this.
    DETECT WITH RESPECT - Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...en-24-7-a.html

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2012
    West Coast
    AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
    4136 times
    Just don't step on it,.........

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	huge coil.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	1792870
    alan m, cudamark and AARC like this.

Sponsored Links