New Equinox 600 leaked

Aug 18, 2019
South Padre Island Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro SideWinder, CZ20, Whites XLT, Tesoro StingRay II, Whites PI Pro w/950 Dive Coil, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab EQ 600, Fisher CZ3D, Whites TDI SL, Sov. GT. Minelab GXP-4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally got a chance to hunt Saturday before cold front arrived, I took the Equinox 600 my wife purchased for me at Christmas and checked the charge. It was dead..on my first outing with it the backscreen showed signs of water inside but it looked operational. I charged unit and it began to work. I then pushed the off button but it would not power off. It locked up and would not work at all. I unplugged the battery let it reset and tried again. same as before, tried to do a factory reset would only lock up.

I contacted Minelab and I was very impressed they got back to me very quickly with return authorization, but on the authorization it indicates two different places to send defective unit. I sent another email awaiting for correct location to send.

I used my Excalibur II and was surprised to find a nice women's Gold Ring with Diamonds, tested they are real 14kt stamped on ring.
I will post photos later.

Now im gun shy afraid to use Equinox in water..might just keep using the Excalibur true and tested and dependable...and finds gold.. Happy Hunting to all Have a great week.

Upvote 0

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well first, dont think you can scuba dive to 10 feet and be safe, There doesnt appear to be an "error factor" built in to the water resistance rating. You should be able to wade without problems, so that would be putting the controller about 2 - 3 ft under water.

I always recommend that people water-test their machines before the warranty runs out. I would prefer to test it as soon as possible. Better to know you have a good one or get it replaced. Repeat until you have one thats dry.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont water detect anyway but if I sell it for the new detector you guys are coming out with I dont want that person to have problems lol I do detect in rain but thats probably not enough to know for sure. DDF left you a message on the docweiser post also Smokey youll have these new machines sold before they come out I know a few others that want one Im sending to you when they are available Tommy

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason in Enid is correct. I would say waterproof to a couple feet. No scuba diving with it, buy something else. And when the warranty runs out, if you haven't tested it already and it leaks you're out of luck. So protect yourself and test it now.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Anyone have suggestions on how to do this how deep do you need to dip it Im guessing my bath tub isnt deep enough.......Tommy

I would suspect most people are just hunting at around chest deep with the head at roughly 1-2 feet under water.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks you are right I dont want the warranty to run out is my only concern if I sell it I dont want to pass on a bad machine Thanks

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tommy, if it doesn't leak now, sell it if you desire and don't worry about it. Irishgoldhound I'd agree with 1-2' underwater. It was not designed as a diving machine. I'm sure some folks have tried that. I don't know how they made out.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have a point... I agree... test before warranty is up.

Just be ready for the wait.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again I reiterate... waterproofing is truly an art... and something that does not leak MAY leak later.

It was pointed out the temperature difference creating a "vacuum"... this is very much a reality.

So... with this in mind... test multiple times and under different circumstances... temperature wise etc.

Sun warm / hot etc.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I figured waited till winter lol. I did hear there was a wait for parts at minelab I dont know if it was related to this issue the only thing is where do I dip it the water is below freezing if I went down to the river I do have my laundry sink which might be about 2ft

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Multiple tests... take bath with it... shower with it.

:P

ROBOTCOP13

Jul 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're in say Florida (hot climate) and go from an airconditioned vehicle to hot air to cooler water and than back to the air conditioned vehicle you may experience expansion and contraction of the detector that others may not experience.

Seams may leak, time will tell.

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone have suggestions on how to do this how deep do you need to dip it Im guessing my bath tub isnt deep enough.......Tommy

How deep?

To the factory rated depth, but no deeper.

And not for 30 seconds, it should hold it's integrity for hours at the rated depth.

You do your job for 8 hours of the day, so should the machine.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I might just not mess with it cause then I gotta figure how warm to make the water ect I live in Mich

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Multiple tests... take bath with it... shower with it.

:P
I allready sleep with it. I guess I should at least by dinner for it after all these tests lol

DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 21, CZ20, CZ 7a Pro, Equinox 800, Stealth 920xi
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I bought the 800 to use exlusively on wet/dry sand and Terra firma. Not going to dunk it. If I'm going in, CZ20/21 all the way. Proven perfomance.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Congratulations on the ring.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
I dont water detect anyway but if I sell it for the new detector you guys are coming out with I dont want that person to have problems lol I do detect in rain but thats probably not enough to know for sure. DDF left you a message on the docweiser post also Smokey youll have these new machines sold before they come out I know a few others that want one Im sending to you when they are available Tommy

Which new machines are those?

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're in say Florida (hot climate) and go from an airconditioned vehicle to hot air to cooler water and than back to the air conditioned vehicle you may experience expansion and contraction of the detector that others may not experience.

Seams may leak, time will tell.
I had that prob long ago with my PI PRO - car was in the 90s - got into new England waters that are way cooler
and seal popped - I flushed it out with fresh water quickly and dried it and saved it but learned my lesson

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread