New Equinox 600 leaked

Aug 18, 2019
South Padre Island Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro SideWinder, CZ20, Whites XLT, Tesoro StingRay II, Whites PI Pro w/950 Dive Coil, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab EQ 600, Fisher CZ3D, Whites TDI SL, Sov. GT. Minelab GXP-4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally got a chance to hunt Saturday before cold front arrived, I took the Equinox 600 my wife purchased for me at Christmas and checked the charge. It was dead..on my first outing with it the backscreen showed signs of water inside but it looked operational. I charged unit and it began to work. I then pushed the off button but it would not power off. It locked up and would not work at all. I unplugged the battery let it reset and tried again. same as before, tried to do a factory reset would only lock up.

I contacted Minelab and I was very impressed they got back to me very quickly with return authorization, but on the authorization it indicates two different places to send defective unit. I sent another email awaiting for correct location to send.

I used my Excalibur II and was surprised to find a nice women's Gold Ring with Diamonds, tested they are real 14kt stamped on ring.
I will post photos later.

Now im gun shy afraid to use Equinox in water..might just keep using the Excalibur true and tested and dependable...and finds gold.. Happy Hunting to all Have a great week.

Upvote 0

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best of luck,..... I hope the situation works out for the best.

Good that you have the Excalibur to fall back on.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I’m staring to have second thoughts about getting a 600 now. Why can’t minelab make a water proof machine water proof? There shouldn’t be this many defective machines. Something on the Equinox is not working right for a water tight machine. I’m curious to know what it is that they are fixing and upgrading to solve the problem when people send them back in after flooding ..and if they are now sending out they’re new recent models with this updated repair.

OP
OP
S
Aug 18, 2019
South Padre Island Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro SideWinder, CZ20, Whites XLT, Tesoro StingRay II, Whites PI Pro w/950 Dive Coil, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab EQ 600, Fisher CZ3D, Whites TDI SL, Sov. GT. Minelab GXP-4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Sanman,
Minelab sent a verification on correct address for returning defective unit. I am very impressed with their service so far, hope the turn around time it fast.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I finally got a chance to hunt Saturday before cold front arrived, I took the Equinox 600 my wife purchased for me at Christmas and checked the charge. It was dead..on my first outing with it the backscreen showed signs of water inside but it looked operational. I charged unit and it began to work. I then pushed the off button but it would not power off. It locked up and would not work at all. I unplugged the battery let it reset and tried again. same as before, tried to do a factory reset would only lock up.

I contacted Minelab and I was very impressed they got back to me very quickly with return authorization, but on the authorization it indicates two different places to send defective unit. I sent another email awaiting for correct location to send.

I used my Excalibur II and was surprised to find a nice women's Gold Ring with Diamonds, tested they are real 14kt stamped on ring.
I will post photos later.

Now im gun shy afraid to use Equinox in water..might just keep using the Excalibur true and tested and dependable...and finds gold.. Happy Hunting to all Have a great week.

Congrats on the 14k!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the NOX series is not perfect , like a Glock Pistol lol.

Good info to know if I ever want a NOX . I kinda do.

If you find out why it leaked please let us know & GD down /over there in TX .

OP
OP
S
Aug 18, 2019
South Padre Island Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Irishgoldhound...been a while since I saw gold. got to the beach late tide already coming in, it seemed to be pulling sand out hunted a few low spots I saw. Im kinda sure I went over the same area and did not get a hit but second time on the way back sand must have been pulled out..glad the wife wanted to go home. lol would have hunted different direction.. oh yes she claimed the ring as OBN stated she has pirate blood too. I think I need some Captain Morgon. lol

Davers if I find out why it flooded ill post it, the only place I could think of is speaker area, when I unplugged battery it was dry as a bone. im sure they will not let me know where or why.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Thanks, Irishgoldhound...been a while since I saw gold. got to the beach late tide already coming in, it seemed to be pulling sand out hunted a few low spots I saw. Im kinda sure I went over the same area and did not get a hit but second time on the way back sand must have been pulled out..glad the wife wanted to go home. lol would have hunted different direction.. oh yes she claimed the ring as OBN stated she has pirate blood too. I think I need some Captain Morgon. lol

Davers if I find out why it flooded ill post it, the only place I could think of is speaker area, when I unplugged battery it was dry as a bone. im sure they will not let me know where or why.

Ahhhh yes, a rum always tastes good after you find treasure. Pirates liquid gold!

Treasureman25

May 30, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Mxt pro, coinmaster gt, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing the info.. I too am very interested in the nox series.. this water leaking issue has not been so with the 800 as far as y’all know correct? Just some of the 600’s?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'd have to look at past posts to know for sure.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perfect time to dip mine Winter so I wont miss it if I have to send it in. Well maybe a little

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Sanman,
Minelab sent a verification on correct address for returning defective unit. I am very impressed with their service so far, hope the turn around time it fast.

Word is they have improved their service and turn around time.

Things like this is why most of us,....nearly all of us to be sure,....have back up machines.

Pretty likely things will work out for the best.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you find out why it leaked please let us know & GD down /over there in TX .

He wont know. Minelab never gets back to you what the problem was. Many people have guessed that it from poor RF welds on the control box. My theory is that its a problem with the "pressure equalization" flap. I suspect it doesnt seal well enough, so when you take a warm detector and submerge it in cool water, it creates a slight vacuum.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The new mottow is dip it and ship it lol Dunk it and to debunk it. wet it and hopefully you wont regret it.Just kidding I hope mine doesnt leak but need to find out before the warranty is up

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone have suggestions on how to do this how deep do you need to dip it Im guessing my bath tub isnt deep enough.......Tommy

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tommy keep it dry. It won't like the water...

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally I don't own one... But if I did... I would not dip the box until problem is sorted out.

Time will expose the issue.

Until then just keep "head above water"... literally.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unit should be fine in wet / rain I would imagine.

The art of keeping water out of something that is submerged... truly is... an art.

Not like MineLab has not been down this road before though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread