Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The way I “classify” beach sand determines which search mode I use on my Equinox. It works well for me on our central Florida beaches.

Since all beaches differ in terms of salinity/mineralization, I’d be interested in hearing from other beach hunters if they too make this “4 layer classification” of beach sand conditions.

Dry Sand: area where the surf doesn’t or hasn’t covered. The sand is extremely dry and where most beach goers spread their towels and chairs. Area to the lady’s far left in the photo.

Damp Sand: Area where the surf once covered but has recently receded to the point where it no longer does leaving the sand still somewhat damp. Smooth area to the lady’s immediate left.

Wet Sand: Area where the surf still covers as the waves come on shore but recedes with wave action leaving the sand distinctly wet. Smooth dark area to the lady’s direct front and immediate right.

Surf: Self explanatory...in the water.

sand types.jpeg

In the Dry and Damp areas, I’ve found Beach 1, All Metal with sensitivity, recovery speed, and F2 settings adjusted for conditions works best. If I try to use Beach 1 and All Metal in the Wet sand and Surf, the amount of falsing naturally increases significantly.

In the Wet sand and Surf, Beach 2, discrimination activated and sensitivity being situationally dependent works best...the EQX settles down considerably.

This simply confirms Minelab’s recommendation but I’ve distinguished between damp and wet sand where they use dry, wet and surf classifications.

Question: Who else sees a performance difference in Damp and Wet sand modes/settings?

Upvote 2

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not only would I say your analogies / descriptions were dead on IMO...

They were eloquently implemented into the picture.

I agree with what you see... and how you see it.

Although I do not own the EQ... I agree with your "view from the foxhole" :)

OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Not only would I say your analogies / descriptions were dead on IMO...

They were eloquently implemented into the picture.

I agree with what you see... and how you see it.

Although I do not own the EQ... I agree with your "view from the foxhole" :)

Thank you sir...

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, that pretty much echoes my definition of beach sand. In my demented mind, I called the damp sand "matte" and the wet sand "slick" but, that's just me. I generally use the same modes and settings that you do in each area, except that I use Park 1 most of the time in the dry and damp. I seem to get better depth in that mode than I do in Beach 1 for whatever reason. Sometimes I can even use it in the wet sand without falsing, but, most of the time it's Beach 2 in the wet and water. I've also had some success using Gold 1 in the dry sand, but, only in areas fairly clean. It's amazing how tiny an item you can find in that mode. Found many stud earrings, tiny charms, and fine link chains that way.

FloridaSon

Sep 29, 2018
Between Half Reale Beach and Nuestra Seflora de La
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
I use the same names for the four beach areas but use Beach 1 in all of them unless I am in water that constantly covers the coil such as the trough.

Then I manage the different areas as well as mineralization with tweaks to sens, recovery, tracking GB sometimes, noise cancel often. Full metal, etc. As needed.

I am trying out using the ‘user’ button as a checker mode. Currently have Park1 in the user bin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread