Excal In PP mode versus discrimination mode
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Excal In PP mode versus discrimination mode

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jan 2005
    Temperance, MI summer-Sarasota, FL winter
    Etrac, XP Deus, Excalibur 1000, Whites Dual Field PI, Makro Multi Kruzer
    9 times

Excal In PP mode versus discrimination mode

I see you guys using PP mode on your excals and wonder why mine does not go as deep that way. I use discrim mode because I think it goes deeper. Am I doing something wrong or is my machine different. My settings are discrim on 1, slight threshold, volume as comfortable as I can without getting blasted. If I switch to PP I use the same settings. PP is very hard to hear and deep targets are very very faint where in discrim it is much louder. Any comments appreciated. Here in Sarasota.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    31296 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Hey, what sensitivity are you using? I also have my volume at max, and threshold is like tiny mosquito in my ear. Deep targets are whispers and if you have volume down you will never hear them.
    Last edited by Treasure_Hunter; Jan 26, 2020 at 10:48 PM.
    OBN, ColonelDan and AARC like this.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

us
    "Dew" Meeker

Mar 2006
    Gulf Coast, Fl
    MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
    1128 times
    Honorable Mentions (4)
    The difference comes from being able to run sensitivity just out of auto. Yes there is more modulation in PP mode..... but you get a real feel for depth of the target and size. If you are running at say 6 or 7 in disc ..... yes the run about the same..... crank it up to full sensitivity and you arent able to run it in disc because of all the falsing, but can use it to ID targets. You also gain in PP because there isnt ANY recovery time like in disc mode. That can make a difference when working in trash.
    Treasure_Hunter likes this.

OBN
    us
    Dec 2008
    Mid-Atlantic Waters
    Excalibur
    6004 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I would say use what works for you....

Me.............. PP/almetal offers so much more then depth. I'm able to hear every target that goes under the coil, then I can separation each out in disc mode. I can size out the target, long, short, big, small, and the shape of the target. Then comes the depth, I think TreasureHunter nailed it, volume must be full and as Dew said, run it Hot. With PP/AM I can tell the depth of the target, shallow...deep. With different conditions things could be different at your beach's. But every where I've tested PP its adds on about 2 to 4 inch. As seen in this airtest,....... and the airtest is to show that in disc mode there is a dead limit, if the signal is not strong enough to reading/process.......... it will null...........where as PP/AM it's the pure unprocessed signal with no restrictions. 7.5 inch coil Excalibur...

Blood Member of RingKeepers
    2020......Gold Rings....23 .......Silvers ...18

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    31296 times
    Didn't realize I left off my sensitivity setting, I run mine like dew and OBN, as hot as I can run it and I hunt in pp then check in desc to see response, that is the advantage of having pp mod.
    AARC likes this.

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    8059 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Same here as mentioned above. I have 3 Excals and run them all as hot as I can. Disc at 1, Sens just off auto, Vol max, Threshold slight buzz, and hunt in Pinpoint. Switch to Disc to I.D. target (mainly to check for iron). Dig everything except a dead null in most areas. i also have the pinpoint mod, 15" coils, and custom headphones on 2 of the 3 I have. One is stock 10" for diving and heavy surf use.
    Treasure_Hunter likes this.
    Avitech Associate

Something new is coming, the Cygnus, don't be left behind. A 22nd century detector for 21st century detectorists.

us
    Mar 2014
    South Bend
    ML Equinox 800, and Excalibur II
    98 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    The Excal II was the first metal detector I bought. OBN modified my headphones because I have tinnitus and am also not near him. Anyway after 5 years and having watched his videos and replies to all questions about the Excal II I will go on the record saying if Joe says it about the Excal II you can take it to the bank. Take a look at his multiyear annual ring counts they they speak volumes about his skill with the Excal. I've dubbing him "The Excal Ring King" for so he is.

us
    Jan 2005
    9 times
    I'm sorry I forgot to mention my sensitivity. I run it around 11:00 give or take a little when in discrimination mode. I keep it there even if I switch to PP.

us
    Jan 2005
    9 times
    Thanks for you replies. I will try running full sensitivity, full volume and PP mode, and see if I can find anything. Quite a few guys around here use the Whites TDI and I hope to be able to compete with them.
    AARC likes this.

OBN
    us
    Dec 2008
    Mid-Atlantic Waters
    Excalibur
    6004 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandnsea49 View Post
    Thanks for you replies. I will try running full sensitivity, full volume and PP mode, and see if I can find anything. Quite a few guys around here use the Whites TDI and I hope to be able to compete with them.
    Then you may need a little more Power....I would think about the future on that subject. Maybe a Fisher "AQ" Impulse once they do come out. Or the talk of the Avtech ...... Cygnus I think its called. Both hopefully by summer. Even though I dig some very deep gold rings and silver coins the raw power of a overpowered PI is hard to match for the excalibur. One reason I am watching the future.
    AARC and slider66 like this.

Blood Member of RingKeepers
    2020......Gold Rings....23 .......Silvers ...18

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    31296 times
    I have dug targets over 20 inches deep with my excals with 15 inch coils in reverse discrimination, at my age that is deep enough...LOL...
    DJWEHAGE, slider66 and AARC like this.

2nd Amendment

USAF 1967-1971

No Expiration Date!

us
    Dec 2007
    CT
    Whites MXT, DetectorPro HH Underwater
    1179 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Treasure_Hunter View Post
    I have dug targets over 20 inches deep with my excals with 15 inch coils in reverse discrimination, at my age that is deep enough...LOL...
    Reverse discrimination? Explain. I don't have an Excal, but this thread is interesting.
    Oldest Coin Finds to Date
    1737-1760 KGII Hibernia Half Cent ('10)
    1787 Fugio Large Cent ('15)
    1869 Two Cent ('09)
    1867-1883 Variety I Sheild Nickel ('09)
    1900 Barber Dime ('13)
    1929 Standing Liberty Quarter ('17)
    1944 Walking Liberty Half Dollar ('09)

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    31296 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TooManyHobbies View Post
    Reverse discrimination? Explain. I don't have an Excal, but this thread is interesting.
    Hunt in all metal and switch to discrimination when you get a target response. All metal is 4-6" Deeper on Excal.
    TooManyHobbies and AARC like this.

2nd Amendment

USAF 1967-1971

No Expiration Date!

Oct 2014
    New Hampshire
    Minelab excalibur blue tube 1000 Fisher cz-6a, 1265x, Whites eagle IIsl
    576 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sandnsea49 View Post
    If itís there the excal will find it! If youíre hunting in the surf the excal will be a lot more stable and not constantly de-tuning as with a pi machine. I use a combo of both the excal and an older SurfMaster pi pro diver. Both are excellent machines for finding the yellow stuff but if I had to choose one or the other, itíd be the excal hands down! Havenít tried the TDI yet but have followed posts on its ability to be cranked up voltage wise with a modded Lipo battery and from what Iíve seen it does have some punch 🤜.

us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    Bahia Del Espiritu Santo - "The Bay of the Holy Spirit” - La Florida
    JW 8X V.2 - ML X2 - VP 580
    55742 times
    I haven't had knobs in years :P
    DETECT WITH RESPECT - Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...en-24-7-a.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links