Suggestions as to beach scoops

Johnny Cache Hunter

Oct 16, 2006
North America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a couple of scoops that I use at the beach that I love but they are no longer being made.

I had inadvertently violated TNET rules by posting a link to an outside business.
Sorry about that Mods. (Removed by mod for rule violation)

The scoop I have looks very similar to one that is being sold on external websites and ebay.
I can't speak to quality of those particular scoops but rather only to the shape and design of the scoop, which I personally like.

My scoops are circular, or can shaped, which I believe reduces friction while digging out a scoop of material, particularly in hard packed sand.

I don't have scientific evidence, or anything like that, but it would seem reasonable to me that some of the large scoop heads that are on the market, those with very angular designs in particular, would be harder to penetrate into hard packed sand.
Most any scoop can work well on dry, loose sand.

20200130_125858.jpg 20200130_125941.jpg 20200130_125950.jpg 20200130_130003.jpg 20200130_130212.jpg

Good luck.

Last edited:

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Beach hunting is my life and I’ve ridden the same trail you’re now on. I settled on Stealth scoops as my choice. I have a 720 and a 920. The 720 is narrower but a mite deeper while the 920 takes a wider bite. Stealth scoops come with a lifetime warranty...at least they did.

Other very popular and excellent performers are the Xtreme and T-Rex series. All three are American made by those who detect themselves.

In the end, it’s a personal choice but my bottom line recommendation would be not to go cheap. Buy a good one and you’ll only buy one for the years ahead.

DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 21, CZ20, CZ 7a Pro, Equinox 800, Stealth 920xi
Primary Interest:
No "con" for a long handled scoop. A must for Beach detecting! Like ColonelDan, I use the Stealth (920). They are a bit pricey but do have a lifetime warranty and will totally reduce your recovery time. I absolutely love mine!

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
002.JPG For beach hunting their Faster,easier, Way cheaper, than any scoop made.Dug many 'beach' holes deep w/in seconds. 074.JPG

Last edited:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_0360.jpg ----- This is a popular one, the Stavros Evroexcavator with a fiberglass post hole digger handle. Many scoops come without handles so one can put whichever type of handle they prefer on it. For some reason you have to click twice on the photo for it to appear upright, don't know why, last time I posted this photo it appeared correctly.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also can recommend the Stealth and Xtreme scoops. Both are excellent quality and have a good warranty. I also have both the 720 and 920 Stealth scoops and use them for specific reasons. I like the 920 for most recoveries as it's less likely to damage the target with it's wide mouth. My 720 has been modified with an extra lower reinforcement plate for digging in cobble and rocks. It's also a bit better sometimes out in the surf for those deep targets. I also love the carbon fiber handles for them. So nice and light! I've also added the lift assist handle to them. Sure helps lifting a big slug of wet sand. If weight is an issue with you, take a look at the new titanium Xtreme scoop with the carbon fiber handle. That's about as light as it gets at the current time, if you want a top-of-the-line scoop.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had one like that and got into some big rocks and caved bottom in - was trying to pry up rocks as big as your head - as long as you dont try the same
should be great

I have a couple of scoops that I use at the beach that I love but they are no longer being made.

I had inadvertently violated TNET rules by posting a link to an outside business.
Sorry about that Mods. (Removed by mod for rule violation)

The scoop I have looks very similar to one that is being sold on external websites and ebay.
I can't speak to quality of those particular scoops but rather only to the shape and design of the scoop, which I personally like.

My scoops are circular, or can shaped, which I believe reduces friction while digging out a scoop of material, particularly in hard packed sand.

I don't have scientific evidence, or anything like that, but it would seem reasonable to me that some of the large scoop heads that are on the market, those with very angular designs in particular, would be harder to penetrate into hard packed sand.
Most any scoop can work well on dry, loose sand.

View attachment 1796180 View attachment 1796182 View attachment 1796183 View attachment 1796184 View attachment 1796185

Good luck.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, mine caved in too digging in the rocks. That's why I add a reinforcement plate to the bottom. I extended the tip to help pop those stubborn rocks loose too!

Attachments

• 100_1428.jpg
    100_1428.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 99
OP
OP
L

LaTxHunter

Aug 21, 2011
Thanks to everyone for the help. I may have more later but I suspect this will answer everything.

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, mine caved in too digging in the rocks. That's why I add a reinforcement plate to the bottom. I extended the tip to help pop those stubborn rocks loose too!

That looks like the front end of a D10 Cat!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like the front end of a D10 Cat!

Yup, with my Pro Handle on the back side, I can really use it like a backhoe!

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
On my 5th scoop (9 1/2" T-Rex) in past 4 yrs after destroying 2 Stealth scoops, a 5 1/2" RTG aluminum scoop and most recently a 7" RTG aluminum scoop (pic).

Broken Scoop new one 2020.jpg

Just make sure your sand scoop can handle the environment in which you hunt...I hunt in rocks a lot (and the 7" RTG is prob the best and can stand up to the punishment, most the time anyways).
BTW - A 3/4" galvanized pipe (1" outer diameter) fits perfectly inside the RTG aluminum scoops to fix and even add length if you so choose.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread