cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In calm waters, yes. Not in the surf though.

Dancer

Dec 21, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Infinium L/S
Deep Tech Vista X
Headhunter Pirate Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I try this from time to time. But if I got a strong signal, Ill try a skim , shallow scoop a couple of times.

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the calm water of south florida in nice weather I only fan, always have my mask on that how you find the dalla bills and lots of other good stuff

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im the king of the foot fan (dive boot fanning)
I hit mostly old areas in the water - most of my finds are past the 1 foot depth zone.
so I always rapidly fan usually at least 6 inches down before I scoop - especially on faint signals
Word to the wise - if you get a faint signal and it comes up as iron - give the signal a fan
I get stuff down close to 2ft and depending what its made of - if its that deep ...it will sometimes read as
a bad target (iron) cause target is so deep - the return signal is too weak to give a good reading (think about it)- I will fan and recheck
and 9 times out of 10 the signal will go from bad to a mid tone or sometimes to a high tone (which on the CZ21 is good - lows are bad
...which on other machines are the opposite) - if my batteries are low or almost dead - this will increase.
I had a day (when I was first learning my CZ21) where i had been hunting all day at an old saltwater spot and a lot of my readings
were coming up - low ...what I thought were faint nail readings. Since I was not getting much else - I decided to fan one and rechecked...
signal got stronger and it came in as a midtone - started scooping and pulled a V nickel like a foot and a half down.
Went back and did same on a few of the others that read not so good and started
pulling up deep silver dimes and eventually some old gold. I did a battery check and they were almost dead .. I mean dead.
Put new batteries in and hit same spot next day - it was like hitting a brand new spot - all the newer stuff and trash was taken
out by others - leaving me all the deep goodies. I was still getting really deep and faint signals but
the signals were reading better in the ID mode - no low tones at all.
Long story short - I do a lot of fanning - I wear good thick soled dive boots to get the job done - I wear a mask 99% of the time
and yes after fanning and the "smoke" clears - many times the heavy target is just sitting there to be plucked
I can usually retrieve targets faster than my friends and competition - that take 4-5 scoops for them to get a deep target
if i pinpoint right and fan down - I rarely have to scoop down more than twice for a find.
I do not fan for stuff that is less than 6 inches - unless its for a small item that keeps falling thru my scoop
in which case I usually will drop down and hand fan lightly - usually those items are stud earrings
or small split shot sinkers

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the calm water of south florida in nice weather I only fan, always have my mask on that how you find the dalla bills and lots of other good stuff
lot of guys i know dont like to wear a mask - ive got over $300 in paper over the years because I do - and Ive got around 20 old bottles - most found while
fanning and I saw them pop out from deep sand - some are worth more than a few bucks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread