Fan the sand
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By tom from mass
  • 1 Post By islamoradamark
  • 1 Post By CASPER-2

Thread: Fan the sand

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Feb 2014
    25 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Fan the sand

While detecting waist to neck deep, in addition to a scoop does anyone fan away the sand over a target possibly finding it without having to scoop?
    CASPER-2 likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    8059 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    In calm waters, yes. Not in the surf though.
    Avitech Associate

Something new is coming, the Cygnus, don't be left behind. A 22nd century detector for 21st century detectorists.

us
    Dec 2015
    Pennsylvania
    AT Pro Infinium L/S Deep Tech Vista X Headhunter Pirate Pro
    57 times
    Metal Detecting
    I try this from time to time. But if I got a strong signal, Ill try a skim , shallow scoop a couple of times.

Aug 2016
    1129 times
    In the calm water of south florida in nice weather I only fan, always have my mask on that how you find the dalla bills and lots of other good stuff
    CASPER-2 likes this.

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    16020 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    Im the king of the foot fan (dive boot fanning)
    I hit mostly old areas in the water - most of my finds are past the 1 foot depth zone.
    so I always rapidly fan usually at least 6 inches down before I scoop - especially on faint signals
    Word to the wise - if you get a faint signal and it comes up as iron - give the signal a fan
    I get stuff down close to 2ft and depending what its made of - if its that deep ...it will sometimes read as
    a bad target (iron) cause target is so deep - the return signal is too weak to give a good reading (think about it)- I will fan and recheck
    and 9 times out of 10 the signal will go from bad to a mid tone or sometimes to a high tone (which on the CZ21 is good - lows are bad
    ...which on other machines are the opposite) - if my batteries are low or almost dead - this will increase.
    I had a day (when I was first learning my CZ21) where i had been hunting all day at an old saltwater spot and a lot of my readings
    were coming up - low ...what I thought were faint nail readings. Since I was not getting much else - I decided to fan one and rechecked...
    signal got stronger and it came in as a midtone - started scooping and pulled a V nickel like a foot and a half down.
    Went back and did same on a few of the others that read not so good and started
    pulling up deep silver dimes and eventually some old gold. I did a battery check and they were almost dead .. I mean dead.
    Put new batteries in and hit same spot next day - it was like hitting a brand new spot - all the newer stuff and trash was taken
    out by others - leaving me all the deep goodies. I was still getting really deep and faint signals but
    the signals were reading better in the ID mode - no low tones at all.
    Long story short - I do a lot of fanning - I wear good thick soled dive boots to get the job done - I wear a mask 99% of the time
    and yes after fanning and the "smoke" clears - many times the heavy target is just sitting there to be plucked
    I can usually retrieve targets faster than my friends and competition - that take 4-5 scoops for them to get a deep target
    if i pinpoint right and fan down - I rarely have to scoop down more than twice for a find.
    I do not fan for stuff that is less than 6 inches - unless its for a small item that keeps falling thru my scoop
    in which case I usually will drop down and hand fan lightly - usually those items are stud earrings
    or small split shot sinkers
    Last edited by CASPER-2; Feb 01, 2020 at 01:40 AM.
    Maximilian likes this.
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    16020 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    Quote Originally Posted by islamoradamark View Post
    In the calm water of south florida in nice weather I only fan, always have my mask on that how you find the dalla bills and lots of other good stuff
    lot of guys i know dont like to wear a mask - ive got over $300 in paper over the years because I do - and Ive got around 20 old bottles - most found while
    fanning and I saw them pop out from deep sand - some are worth more than a few bucks
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

Sponsored Links