Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've been beach hunting for more than a few years now and still have yet to satisfactorily answer this one burning question.

Why do people even bring pennies to the beach?

You can't buy anything with them, you can't do anything with them really except throw them away just to tease those pesky detectorists...and I have experienced/seen that. Pennies have always been and remain the most prolific coin found on the beach...at least they are on our Central Florida beaches.

What's your theory as to why people bring pennies to the beach? I'm sure we'll get a kick out of some of your answers. :laughing7:

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am still looking for the A-hole that BB'd a spot years ago... must have been a serious 10,000 count.

This was definitely more frustrating than the pennied spots I have encountered.

Individually they did not ring out as much and could tell after a bit... but the clumps were sounding off like a dream.

Once I detected a property and finally threw in the towel after the 100th roofing nail...
I was like WTF was wrong with these roofers... I would have been pissed off as the home owner... but the owner didn't realize how lame it was and chuckled at it. :/

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am still looking for the A-hole that BB'd a spot years ago... must have been a serious 10,000 count.

This was definitely more frustrating than the pennied spots I have encountered.

Individually they did not ring out as much and could tell after a bit... but the clumps were sounding off like a dream.

Once I detected a property and finally threw in the towel after the 100th roofing nail...
I was like WTF was wrong with these roofers... I would have been pissed off as the home owner... but the owner didn't realize how lame it was and chuckled at it. :/
when I was a kid I heard stories of guys littering spots with lead shot
I have a beach that someone tosses a lot of junk hoop earrings - now at first I thought
"boy...there sure are a lot of woman losing earrings here" - I would find a dozen every time I hit there
now I hunt in all metal so I think im the only one picking them out - I knw handful of other guys that hit here
and ive followed them and still come out each time with a handful - this is a fresh water spot - maybe 100 yrds across and 30
yrds to ropes - The earrings are 99% steel ones - usually large or huge hoops - I started noticing that I was finding a
lot of pairs - then a lot of pairs each time - which is unreal. Ive probably pulled over 20 pairs from here which
in my over 40 yrs of hunting - ive never done totally from all other spots combined - I believe its either
a hunter that cranks his discrim. and knows I don't and is doing it or a local regular beach goer
that is picking them up at tag sales cheap and doing it - I used to hit here a lot yrs ago but so many guys go there now
that I don't bother but when I did I could easily pick up 100 earrings a yr from here alone - I used to get
a lot of silver stud earrings here also that would fall thru pthers scoops - I could tell cause id get a small
high tone which on cz21 is good target - usually - I would put my mask in clear fresh water and could see scoop marks
in all directions which would tell me item kept falling thru their scoop - I would just drop and lightly fan
and 9 times out of 10 it would be a stud earring
and doing it to be a jerk

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They should get rid of the penny - and enlarge the dime :thumbsup:
I know people that pull them off and donate other than that it is stupid to remove
beaches probably should have put cans near life guard stands for people to deposit the tabs

people say pennies are waste of money - they cost more to make than they are worth
I read a story awhile back where it said a guy from a foreign country was buying tons of our nickles
cause in his country nickel (the metal) is worth more where he is from and he was making
a good chunk of change doing this (pun intended)

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
The story I was told here in South Florida, is that Cubans rub 7 pennies on their arm and toss them in the water for safety... IDK, just something I was told, haven't seen any of them do it though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions