Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Wife was off to Yoga and I really didn’t plan to metal detect. But my addiction got the best of me and off I go for a few hours to a nearby beach with my Nox 800 in tow.

Tide was high and 3 footers were rolling in and so my hunt was dry sand and I really didn’t expect to find much; just had to get out for a while. After hitting the blanket-line and back-beach for a few hrs and not finding much, I decided to call it a day and take a shortcut through "muck" to a small section of fluffy sand and path to my truck. As I headed through the patch of mucky sand, with water just lurking 6” below the surface…I hit a good sounding target (#25) and pulled out a dime that had spent some time on the beach or likely surf.

111 coin day w gold 2020.jpg

I did my usual MD dance around the target to search for his brothers and sisters when I didn’t get very far and hit another coin, and another and another. I spiraled out in a circular grid and kept hitting good target after good target – I drug my scoop and followed the spiral outward. More plowed ground, I said to myself; recalling another beach where I had found over 100 coins and when I looked behind me the beach looked like plowed ground. Three hrs later…

I hadn’t planned on spending 5 ½ hrs MDing that day. But within a 30 yard diameter area, I pulled about 100 coins (111 total coins for the day) from the mucky sand. In addition to the coins, I found this small ½” heart locket marked 14K and the bale is also marked 14K (1.09g tw). The front half of the heart locket is missing [DANG]. The locket and bale air tests a solid #6 at 4” on the Nox 800 (Beach #1). But on the wet beach black sand the response was very scratchy – sounded like a bottle cap that wasn’t completely nulled-out by the iron mask and this is with the coil less than an inch from the 14k locket slightly buried in the black sand. Surprised I recovered it given the conditions.

14k gold heart locket 2020.jpg

14k gold locket backhalf 2020.jpg

I am absolutely surprised where I found the coins and gold locket; my new honey-hole. I wouldn’t have thought of looking there in a million yrs. And yet, coins everywhere and some gold too. It would be equivalent to searching a sanded-in beach for much of anything. What may have happened is that 2 yrs ago, Hurricane Michael, rearranged some beaches here in western Florida and in the process probably sent some “loose-change” to shore. I always assumed moved sand is clean sand, like a reconstituted beach, I never gave such clean sand much thought…I do now. Can’t wait to go back.
Happy Hunting

Upvote 0

Dancer

Dec 21, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Infinium L/S
Deep Tech Vista X
Headhunter Pirate Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That had to be a great experience. Often times when something causes you to change your pattern , you into a honey hole.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions