Waist Deep, Snorkeling, or Scuba Gear for your hunts? - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Waist Deep, Snorkeling, or Scuba Gear for your hunts?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Feb 2014
    Ohio and Florida
    CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils, Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 w 11" and 15" coils, Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35, Vibra-Tector 730 w 4" coil
    1832 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Full wet suit w boots and gloves and 24 lb belt (and mask and snorkel sometimes) with Equinox 800/CTX 3030/Excal II. Lower the tide the better. It really depends on trade-off between where people go and where metal detectorists hunt - there is a sweet spot where people go and where but few detectorists can hunt...BINGO.

Gold - 20
    Silver - 30
    Metal Detecting Goal in Life is to Find Wife a 2ct Diamond Ring (so she'll be quiet about all my metal detecting).

us
    Jul 2014
    Wisconsin
    Garrett AT PRO, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
    230 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

us
    May 2015
    New England
    Minelab Equinox 800, Excalibur (2), GPX 4500, Tesoro Cibola
    109 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NowandThenTreasures View Post
    That really depends on the temperature of the water you can withstand, comfortably, and for How Long SAFELY !!

I live in New England so the water gets pretty chilly here (could be dangerous), for example the first water I entered here in March was 42°........for me, theres no choice.....DRYSUIT !! June, July & August...probably Sept. a wetsuit is very comfortable. There is no ONE suit that is perfect in all conditions, if you want the longest hunting season possible you need BOTH wetsuit(s) and DRYSUIT ! But, hey...thats just me !! Good hunting !
    OBN likes this.

Apr 2020
    As far as detectors go, I see several mentions of Excal II and Equinox 800. I'm just getting started in the hobby and am looking at getting an AT Pro. 10 feet of water seems good enough for me. What's the consensus on this detector nowadays?

Charter Member
    us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    Bahia Del Espiritu Santo - "The Bay of the Holy Spirit” - La Flo rida
    JW 8X V.2 - ML X2 - VP 580
    60386 times
    I use 200 lbs in weight... and go in until my ankles.

Hard to walk really.

:P
    RustyGold, Blak bart and terry g like this.
    DETECT WITH RESPECT - Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...en-24-7-a.html

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    8511 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by silkwire View Post
    As far as detectors go, I see several mentions of Excal II and Equinox 800. I'm just getting started in the hobby and am looking at getting an AT Pro. 10 feet of water seems good enough for me. What's the consensus on this detector nowadays?
    An Equinox is a better detector in every aspect than an AT Pro, especially if you're going into salt water. The Excal is also an excellent salt water machine, but, not a particularly good land machine. In deeper water, it's a must if you want discrimination. The Excal will detect a bit deeper too, if that's important to you. The Nox will find smaller gold and platinum targets that the Excal will miss, such as tiny stud earrings and charms. The Nox is also the lightest of the three.
    OBN and RustyGold like this.
    ​Avitech Associate

Charter Member
    us
    DEPLORABLE

Jul 2015
    Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
    E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
    22698 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by cudamark View Post
    An Equinox is a better detector in every aspect than an AT Pro, especially if you're going into salt water. The Excal is also an excellent salt water machine, but, not a particularly good land machine. In deeper water, it's a must if you want discrimination. The Excal will detect a bit deeper too, if that's important to you. The Nox will find smaller gold and platinum targets that the Excal will miss, such as tiny stud earrings and charms. The Nox is also the lightest of the three.
    If your settings on your Excalibur are correct, you can detect charms and studs all day long. The only problem is the charms or studs passing through your scoop. It is a Salt Water Detector and can withstand 200 foot depths. I have 2 Excaliburs. The CTX can also be used in Salt Water but you must install the adapters. I prefer to use it on land.
    The AT PRO is a fresh water machine. I have recovered numerous gold rings with the Pro. It will not function as designed in Salt Water. Never mind making adjustments to it. It does not work in Salt Water.
    When you are detecting in water deeper than your waste, and / or the water is not clear, the detector you are using, will be considered a Beep-Dig machine because the screen is in the water. The Excalibur doesn't have a screen. I wear my Excalibur around my waste, so weight is not an issue. Both the Excalibur and Equinox are Minelab machines. When it comes to the best water machine, I would have to go with the Excalibur.
    Last edited by against the wind; Apr 27, 2020 at 10:24 PM.
    Blak bart and terry g like this.
    SOMETIMES I WISH I DIDN'T KNOW NOW ,,, WHAT I DIDN'T KNOW THEN,, Bob Seger

us
    "Dew" Meeker

Mar 2006
    Gulf Coast, Fl
    MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
    1145 times
    Honorable Mentions (4)
    I use nothing but the scoop and detector out as deep as I can go. Been at it long enough I dont need weights not even with my winter 7mm suit. I think what you might be thinking thou is ocean hunters with big waves when you asked about snorkeling or scuba.
    terry g and AARC like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links