Waist Deep, Snorkeling, or Scuba Gear for your hunts?

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Hello, gang.

I'm writing an article on water detecting and would appreciate your input.

Questions:

1. When you go water detecting do you use any special gear other than your detector?
I mean, do you just stand in waist-deep water or use snorkeling gear?

2. From your experience, do most detectorists use snorkels or nothing?

3. How frequent (or rare) is water detecting using scuba gear?
Is that just a small subset of water detecting or fairly common?

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as detectors go, I see several mentions of Excal II and Equinox 800. I'm just getting started in the hobby and am looking at getting an AT Pro. 10 feet of water seems good enough for me. What's the consensus on this detector nowadays?

An Equinox is a better detector in every aspect than an AT Pro, especially if you're going into salt water. The Excal is also an excellent salt water machine, but, not a particularly good land machine. In deeper water, it's a must if you want discrimination. The Excal will detect a bit deeper too, if that's important to you. The Nox will find smaller gold and platinum targets that the Excal will miss, such as tiny stud earrings and charms. The Nox is also the lightest of the three.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An Equinox is a better detector in every aspect than an AT Pro, especially if you're going into salt water. The Excal is also an excellent salt water machine, but, not a particularly good land machine. In deeper water, it's a must if you want discrimination. The Excal will detect a bit deeper too, if that's important to you. The Nox will find smaller gold and platinum targets that the Excal will miss, such as tiny stud earrings and charms. The Nox is also the lightest of the three.

If your settings on your Excalibur are correct, you can detect charms and studs all day long. The only problem is the charms or studs passing through your scoop. It is a Salt Water Detector and can withstand 200 foot depths. I have 2 Excaliburs. The CTX can also be used in Salt Water but you must install the adapters. I prefer to use it on land.
The AT PRO is a fresh water machine. I have recovered numerous gold rings with the Pro. It will not function as designed in Salt Water. Never mind making adjustments to it. It does not work in Salt Water.
When you are detecting in water deeper than your waste, and / or the water is not clear, the detector you are using, will be considered a Beep-Dig machine because the screen is in the water. The Excalibur doesn't have a screen. I wear my Excalibur around my waste, so weight is not an issue. Both the Excalibur and Equinox are Minelab machines. When it comes to the best water machine, I would have to go with the Excalibur.

Last edited:

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use nothing but the scoop and detector out as deep as I can go. Been at it long enough I dont need weights not even with my winter 7mm suit. I think what you might be thinking thou is ocean hunters with big waves when you asked about snorkeling or scuba.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Casper, you are a wealth of good info my friend!
How long were you writing articles on MD?
I wrote for 5 yrs
guy that edited my articles passed away and then owner has
couple of boys getting into sports at the time and had too much on his plate
and shut it down - i was asked to write for a few others but it would not be the same
i write on forums and try to help others when i can - i been TH'ing since
age 12 - 1975 and have done land and water with success - if i cant help you ...
know many that can

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread