Waist Deep, Snorkeling, or Scuba Gear for your hunts?

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Hello, gang.

I'm writing an article on water detecting and would appreciate your input.

Questions:

1. When you go water detecting do you use any special gear other than your detector?
I mean, do you just stand in waist-deep water or use snorkeling gear?

2. From your experience, do most detectorists use snorkels or nothing?

3. How frequent (or rare) is water detecting using scuba gear?
Is that just a small subset of water detecting or fairly common?

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go nose deep on tip toes with 20 lb weight belt , Excal II and a Stealth 920 IX hybrid scoop. One of these days, I should learn to swim so I could go deeper.

ctdirtdigger

May 14, 2015
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Excalibur (2), GPX 4500, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go chest deep in water with an either an Excal II or Equinox 800, wet or drysuit (thanks OBN for the guidance), Xtreme scoop, and 14 lb. weight belt. If water is extremely murky or a muddy bottom I don't use any other equipment and everything is done by sound & feel. However, and this is my preference, if there is even the slightest amount of visibility I use a mask & snorkel so I can watch the coil location. It really speeds target recovery.

I am a certified diver, although I've been away from it for a number of years, I have been considering using SCUBA for maybe 10 - 15 ft. of water, which very few treasure hunters are accessing.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most folks go chest deep with no special gear other than a sand scoop and belt weight.

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of the above and scuba gear. Often wading chin deep, on tip toes using slightly taller height to my advantage when i can. Getting to be nearly all fresh drops around here, less and less gold, record high lake levels which terrible for detecting the past few years. Specialty stuff will go unmentioned, lol.

Last edited:

Avanti

Mar 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SNUBA Shoreline Detection/ Excavation

I work E. Florida and Caribe islands shorelines from my 38ft boat (US) or 36' boat (St Lucia) using a SNUBA system, consisting of deck fixed filtered high-volume "free air" air compressor with four 130' airhoses, providing continuous cool slightly pressurized breathing for me and a dive partner, and two for air driven suction excavation. With 130' hoses we can cover a wide shallow area with extreme accuracy using side / ground penetrating sonar, and Fisher 8X Pulse detectors. Breathing filtered free air, removes issue of SCUBA time/decompression. Vacuum excavation provides little sediment suspension and enables use of smaller apparatus for longer use without undue fatigue. Weight belts are always required, with heavier weight and stability close to shore with wave turbulence and running tides/ currents. BTW: I get a lot of productive "hits" with side boom deployed heavy lift "simple" magnets.

Last edited:

Fast Ed

Jan 31, 2013
Scotia, ny
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Garrett AT Max, Garrett Pro Pointer, Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Casper.....just wanted to say how much I enjoyed reading your articles. Very well written and informative. Thanks for sharing.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Casper.....just wanted to say how much I enjoyed reading your articles. Very well written and informative. Thanks for sharing.
thank you - i wrote them to help and/or inspire others

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I detect to my chin, sometimes with a snorkel. At 6'6", I can usually get out further than the avg. guy.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt mostly waist deep or less if there's any surf. If it's calm, up to my chin. I wear a wet suit and booties if I'm going to be out there a while or if the water is cold (which it usually is). Sometimes (most times) gloves depending on temp and shells/cobble. Other than that, just my normal beach hunting gear.....nylon mesh pouch, Stealth scoop, water bottle, VibraProbe pin pointer on a lanyard.

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also go out on my tip toes with the x-cal always wear a mask and snorkel thats how ya find the cash and other goodies. weight belt, wetsuit, webbed glove to fan targets. If I go by boat to spots deeper I will have a tank in da boat with a hundred foot hose nice and peaceful until the detector goes off

KEYSHUNTER

Sep 29, 2007
florida keys
Detector(s) used
;whites dual PI
been approched by certain LEO if you have mask and snorkel even in stand up water,must have diver down flag near by,im ok with that ,hate to get propped,hit by jet ski......

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Full wet suit w boots and gloves and 24 lb belt (and mask and snorkel sometimes) with Equinox 800/CTX 3030/Excal II. Lower the tide the better. It really depends on trade-off between where people go and where metal detectorists hunt - there is a sweet spot where people go and where but few detectorists can hunt...BINGO.

Gold - 20
Silver - 30

ctdirtdigger

May 14, 2015
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Excalibur (2), GPX 4500, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That really depends on the temperature of the water you can withstand, comfortably, and for How Long SAFELY !!

I live in New England so the water gets pretty chilly here (could be dangerous), for example the first water I entered here in March was 42°........for me, theres no choice.....DRYSUIT !! June, July & August...probably Sept. a wetsuit is very comfortable. There is no ONE suit that is perfect in all conditions, if you want the longest hunting season possible you need BOTH wetsuit(s) and DRYSUIT ! But, hey...thats just me !! Good hunting !

silkwire

Apr 26, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as detectors go, I see several mentions of Excal II and Equinox 800. I'm just getting started in the hobby and am looking at getting an AT Pro. 10 feet of water seems good enough for me. What's the consensus on this detector nowadays?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use 200 lbs in weight... and go in until my ankles.

Hard to walk really.

:P

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread