Stay away from sunspot/stealth scoops

cladpirate

Apr 24, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently purchased a stealth extreme scoop with carbon fiber handle, the handle was supposed to have a textured “fish scale” pattern to stop it from slipping when wet. Shipping was fast and I was initially happy with service, then it all broke down. I received my scoop and handle and quickly assembled it, soon after or during I realized the handle was put Together backwards and the handle is very slippery when pulling on it and it grips when pushing, not useful. I contacted sunspot less than an hour after receiving it, explained my issue and sent a video. At first it seemed as if the woman I was interacting with was trying to help, after a few back and forth I was told all their stock is wrong and that they had no Idea it was supposed to go together like that and thanked me for letting them know, dear god. I was at first offered a hack job where I send my handle back, they cut it up and glue a rubber handle on the already cut end essentially swapping the handle around, I refused as I did not pay for a hack job, my other option is a full refund for the handle and I am stuck trying to source one. I asked if I could just swap the handle for the correct one when they could manufacture it and I was declined,wth? This handle and scoop is supposed to both have a lifetime warranty, in my experience it is until you receive it defective then it is a big slight from sunspot. They even suggested they will just turn around and resell it. Again I bought the handle, it is defective and I want a replacement. Not rocket science, just get me a handle. They are pushing now to send me a return label for a refund and I have half a mind to turn around and purchase again so we can play this game as I can’t hunt as much as I like now anyway. I am extremely irritated and feel the need to warn others that this company does business in a shady fashion. If they decide to make this correct, I will update here and consider closing this thread.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They acknowledged they made an error and are sending you a return label, they want ship new one till old one is returned. You could offer to buy new one and just advise them to refund your money for the old one when then receive it back, that will get you hunting with new scoop quicker or you could use a post hole handle till new CF arrives.

Please remember we are a family friendly forum and have rules on language, FU is not acceptable

OP
OP
C

cladpirate

Apr 24, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They acknowledge they made a mistake and that is all. I don’t want my money, I want a proper handle that I paid for. They are refusing to send me a proper handle and state if I purchase another it will be the same yet the website still states that they are correct. Why not send a replacement after I send this one back? Is that how you would do your business Treasure Hunter? Refuse an exchange And force a refund? I mark that as poor customer service that makes the exchange painfully more difficult than needs to be. So if I return the current handle buy another pay additional shipping cost and it shows up defective as well, then do I have a right to complain? To top it all off I don’t believe the customer service would be any better through the second go around. I have corrected the wording as well.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are most likely telling you no on the replacement handle because they are out of stock and have to have more handles made, who knows how long that will be. When I was with Kellyco we were waiting months for handles at times. I suggest you get a refund and buy the post hole digger handle or shovel handle till they are back in stock, then order the CF handle.

OP
OP
C

cladpirate

Apr 24, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That makes sense, however my hunting is non existent at the moment and I don’t mind waiting. I have another scoop to use if I can get out. If they had not stopped responding perhaps I could ask them who may have one in stock but that appears to not be an option. Which still remains is the fact that I will be out the money for my initial shipping, and I can’t ask them because there will be no reply. Perhaps you can contact them on my behalf and find out if they will refund my shipping because I am at the end of my rope evidently. Lol

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That makes sense, however my hunting is non existent at the moment and I don’t mind waiting. I have another scoop to use if I can get out. If they had not stopped responding perhaps I could ask them who may have one in stock but that appears to not be an option. Which still remains is the fact that I will be out the money for my initial shipping, and I can’t ask them because there will be no reply. Perhaps you can contact them on my behalf and find out if they will refund my shipping because I am at the end of my rope evidently. Lol

I would if I could, I no longer work for Kellyco so can't help there, Chuck Madigan owns Sunspot, send him an email, you could send it to [email protected] attention Chuck Madigan or try [email protected], if it kicks back take dot out and try again.

Last edited:

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was under the impression that chuck had sold the business.

You are correct, he did. I think he is still making scoops under a different name as he sold the Name do his organically company.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was not aware Chuck sold the business.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
With Corona Virus and stay at home orders and beaches closed everyone is a bit testy.
Although I have my own issues with Stealth scoops, having destroyed 2 of them, I do think the business acted fairly and if they don't have the correct stock they don't have the correct stock. Carbon fiber handles are not usually made in-house.

OP
OP
C

cladpirate

Apr 24, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With Corona Virus and stay at home orders and beaches closed everyone is a bit testy.
Although I have my own issues with Stealth scoops, having destroyed 2 of them, I do think the business acted fairly and if they don't have the correct stock they don't have the correct stock. Carbon fiber handles are not usually made in-house.

In their defense, I somewhat agree. If the scoop is not there it is not, however when purchased it does come with a “lifetime warranty” so why not offer to replace it when more are available? It’s not as if they should resell this one. As far as the scoop itself so far it is awesome, digs huge holes fast, drains quickly and appears well built. As it stands my only true complaint is customer service, They should have in my opinion listened to what it was I was proposing, it was not unreasonable. Customer service is the backbone of any business, without it one won’t last long.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could also just add a lift assist handle and make the slippery surface moot. Or, maybe add some friction tape like we used to do on our old baseball bats.

zigzag

Sep 17, 2011
ft laud, fl
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 2 xcal II 1000's, 1 has OBN's remote PP & peltor HP's, 2 aquasounds, dual field, sunspot 920i hybrid, 720i, 3 rtg scoops, Howie scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If Chuck is selling scoops under another brand name, I'd buy from him anyday. Ed

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
I own the original Sunspot scoop, had it over 20 years now. Even backed over it flattening it, pounded it out with a hammer and still going strong. So crap happens from time to time,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread