Signals from rocks on the beach

ShinyShores

Mar 19, 2020
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can someone please help me identify what these rocks are that make my Excalibur 2 squeal. Had about 4 of these rocks i dug in a specific area at the beach. Thanks!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1585827637.241839.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1585827655.539480.jpg

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably has some iron in it.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
They're "Hot Rocks", not the kind you had as a teenager but the kind that sets off the metal detector. Contains some mineral. Sometimes when rocks are close to fire they'll congregate the metal and it will appear as small droplets on the outside of the rock and will set off the detector. In any case, they're hot rocks and I come across them in dirt and in sand. Possibly related to a fire/camp fire in the area.

OP
OP
ShinyShores

ShinyShores

Mar 19, 2020
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They're "Hot Rocks", not the kind you had as a teenager but the kind that sets off the metal detector. Contains some mineral. Sometimes when rocks are close to fire they'll congregate the metal and it will appear as small droplets on the outside of the rock and will set off the detector. In any case, they're hot rocks and I come across them in dirt and in sand. Possibly related to a fire/camp fire in the area.

Thanks very much for the reply! I figured it was hot rocks but with the funny looking inside just wanted to confirm.

Sandancer

Jul 18, 2014
Hot rocks are the definitely a problem to me. They are everywhere on the northeast beaches. At one time I identified a reasonably similar shape, sort of a kidney shaped, that gave a gold range response on both Whites and Minelab detectors, and others that gave an iron response on what I assume were iron ore rocks. If anyone knows of a detector that can accurately discriminate out hot rocks lets hear it.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread