Looking for Your Opinions on Where to MD on this pic

NowandThenTreasures

Jul 23, 2014
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beaches are still open in my state so far.
I know that's not the case in other areas.

Here is a Question for fun:

If you only had time to MD one of 4 trench areas in the following pics, which area would you choose if you had a waterproof detector and the necessary clothing and scoop.
(I will post my actual results after I hear from some other seasoned MD veterans out there).
The snow fencing was recently removed from this Midwest beach. Water is east of the beach.
Screenshot_20200407-140430_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200407-140454_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200407-140536_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200407-140610_Gallery.jpg

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd search all 4 areas to see where the good targets are. Where they've removed a fence would be the first place I'd look. If you know the beach well, I'd also hunt where there has been changes in the sand depth or makeup. When I go to a beach unknown to me, I usually start by zig zagging from sea wall to surf to try and find a "treasure trough". then follow that trough parallel to the waterline.

OP
OP
NowandThenTreasures

NowandThenTreasures

Jul 23, 2014
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes,
All 4 areas are trough areas, there were 2 troughs created by 2 rows of snow fencing, area #1 & #2.
Hypothetically, let's say it was late in the day and you only had time to choose 1 trough-trench area,
Which would you choose?
Area 1, 2, 3, or 4?

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Even with the troughs I would walk right past them into the water..But....Long ago I would have chose #4, when I hunted the ocean..

Jim in MA

Apr 21, 2011
Detector(s) used
Excal with Wot, Infinium LS , CZ7a PRO
I would hit 4 1/2 then 5... The WATER You have a water machine use it in the water, many people that do the dry sand 1...2..3.. do not have a water machine. on the dry sand you can see your tracks and make a point not to miss any ground.
In the water it is very hard to cover all the ground so targets are missed. Hit the WATER. Ankle to knee deep targets from mom playing with little Junior. knee to waste kids running diving in to the water dump their pockets. waste and deeper targets fall off their fingers when they move their hands to start to swim.

Go For IT

OP
OP
NowandThenTreasures

NowandThenTreasures

Jul 23, 2014
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
#4 is supposed to be a trough in the water just off shore.

I have hit this beach and water many times over the years, but the water levels keep rising leaving less beach to hunt. The beach used to be a good 40 yards wider, but now the old beach is under water where the waves and current does some digging and churning for me. Great thing about a beach, it's always changing with wind, storms, ice and snow.
I will post pics of my finds from the 4 areas soon. Everything from pull tabs and can-slaw to silver, gold (& diamonds?).
I really enjoy and appreciate hearing all your opinions on tackling a specific MD situation that offers multiple options to hunt. Drawing from past experiences where we have had the most luck finding the goodies.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
#4 is supposed to be a trough in the water just off shore.

I have hit this beach and water many times over the years, but the water levels keep rising leaving less beach to hunt. The beach used to be a good 40 yards wider, but now the old beach is under water where the waves and current does some digging and churning for me. Great thing about a beach, it's always changing with wind, storms, ice and snow.
I will post pics of my finds from the 4 areas soon. Everything from pull tabs and can-slaw to silver, gold (& diamonds?).
I really enjoy and appreciate hearing all your opinions on tackling a specific MD situation that offers multiple options to hunt. Drawing from past experiences where we have had the most luck finding the goodies.

Another tip would be to go outside of the limits of what you know as the beach now. I've come across two beach's now in the last 7 years that have no record of being. But because things change the beach's were shifted to a different area and the old was forgotten....Good Luck!

OP
OP
NowandThenTreasures

NowandThenTreasures

Jul 23, 2014
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed! Great point, I keep looking for those "old swimming holes" of the past. Lots of history there. Heading to one today, coincidentally.

OP
OP
NowandThenTreasures

NowandThenTreasures

Jul 23, 2014
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here was my results of the 4 spots:
IMG_384.jpg

#1 (Trough created from removed Snow fencing)
Plenty of targets, however this area had the largest percentage of pull tabs, can-slaw along with clad coinage

#2 (Another trough created from snow fencing)
Again plenty of targets with a slightly lower percentage of pull tabs and can-slaw along with clad coinage

Areas #3 & #4 were hiding the jewelry goodies and some unique targets.

Area #3 was a debris trough that formed over the winter with all kinds of things washing ashore including a nice 10k ring.
20200406_190937.jpg

Area #4 was a nice trench in the water between the beach and a sand bar out in the lake, so this trench was a natural collecting point like a sluice box. Everything from jewelry to large metal fence posts ( found 2 fence posts 100 yds a part).
20200403_160411.jpg 20200404_210035.jpg 20200406_170525.jpg 20200406_170535.jpg

Found lots of clad (no silver coins this time), toys, bottle caps, pull tabs, beaver tails, tent stakes, but the beach became "cleaner" closer to the water.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread