Advice on neoprene pants and/or wet suits?

NapervilleDan

Dec 29, 2019
Naperville, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m trying to plan ahead.

I have a family member with a lake house and I’m also hoping to MD along Lake Michigan this summer with the gf. There’s also some small creeks and shallow rivers I’d love to try.

Just basic shallow diving and wading with my Equinox. No deep water diving. (I know the Nox is only good to 3 meters).

I’m wondering what you all wear. Thickness? Favorite brands? Should I have something covering my feet besides beach shoes or even old tennis shoes for wading? Full skin suit if I’m chest deep for more than an hour at a time.?
Is it better to have a 2 piece suit rather than a full body suit if I’m likely going to be in water waist level or below most of the time ?
Temps for Lake Michigan would be around 70 degrees. Maybe as high as 75ish.

A few tips on sizing would also be helpful. I’m 6’ around 195.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
If you go online, lots f wet suit sites and they have sizing charts to best suit your needs. I’ve been doing a lot of research through the winter on what wet suit to use. If you can only get one wet suit I would suggest a 4/3, this way you can detect early in the spring and late into the fall cool waters and also using it in the summer if you get too hot, you can just flood your suit with cool water. When you’re detecting in the water for more than 1/2 hr you want to be warm. Having a full wet suit and booties, you don’t have to worry about leeches or other things in the water. I’m about to purchase a 4/3 suit just don’t know yet wether I want a back zip or chest zip. Get somebody to measure your chest waist, hips and weight and go by that you don’t want a suit too bulky or too tight. Bulky you will get cold and too tight is uncomfortable and restrictive. A good pair of diving boots that cover right over your suit/ankles and your all set.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
This is a suit I’m interested in. It’s $105.00 US online. Hyperflex. Lots of brands online for good prices under $200 and It’s all I need to get in the water. Good luck. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1587513561.265661.jpg

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 piece farmer john is most flexible you can use together or separately depending on conditions
5mm might be good for you

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In freshwater I always like a suit that covers all my body parts it helps protect against leaches when water is warm

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wear a Henderson long sleve shortie (down knees) which zips in the front.... easy on and off. 1X3mm should be fine depending on how cold natured you are and how long you intend to spend in the water. Hard bottom shoes...... i wear Mares 6.5 MM just because the thicker they are the less they smell over time.

OP
OP
N

NapervilleDan

Dec 29, 2019
Naperville, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need to buy some gloves. 5mm seems appropriate for thickness.

Any opinions positive or negative is helpful. I know they're not waterproof.

I'm most concerned about dexterity (I think). Beach and river detecting. Fresh water, prob not salt water. I am a little concerned about bacteria in the water. Even though my area has modern facilities for sewage, it's not 100% clean. How would you guys keep them clean?

Dan

Last edited:

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If you're dealing with cool (eg 58 deg) to warm (eg 80 deg) water, consider a shorty (covers mostly body, upper legs and arms) combined with wet suit pants (hard to find alone). When water is cool but the air warm you can wear both and when the water warms up leave off the pants and just wear the shorty. I also use just the pants to wade waist deep with cooler water and hot air. The combo provides a lot of options.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread