The Best Metal Detecting Secret I Ever Learned

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Several years ago OBN and a few other consistently successful detectorist put me onto the absolute vital secret to consistent success. You see, up to that point I was just like everyone else, always waiting on that next best machine to hit the market. But then I realized something, OBN and those hunters have been at the top of the metal detecting game for years and years and they had been doing with a wide variety of machines over those years. So very clearly, it wasn't the machine, but rather it was the hunter. "Period!"

But how did they get there? What set them apart from everyone else? The answer was simple, they know their stuff, they understand their machines better then other hunters and they understand their quarry and the related conditions better then others. So, no more new machine fantasies for me, one machine and I was going to use it until I understood that machine as well as they did. With this in mind it was no longer about finding gold and silver anymore, but rather it was about challenging myself to learn how to master that one machine in all environments and in every possible condition I encountered. Yep, a lot of frustration and a lot of trial and error from that point forward. I spent days on the beach actually creating impossible conditions to hunt just to see if I could learn how to hunt those impossible conditions efficiently. I also spent countless hours on the beach learning how the beach and sands move, and when and why, how heavier items such as gold rings behaved in those various conditions. I also never turned away from really trashy locations, instead I challenged myself to learn how to pick my way through them with that same machine. I learned "a tone" about my machine and how it spoke to me, and why it spoke to me that way.

I've had the same old blue Excal for about ten years now, been rebuilt and refitted twice and it's due for a third go around. But that machine is lie an extension of my arm now, there isn't a tone or squeak or fart from that machine that I've not heard 10'000 times before. Today I know when to get the machine out and when to leave it in the corner. I don't walk into hunting conditions that I've not walked into a thousand times before with that same machine. It could be said that this same machine is my other half now.

And all of the above my friends is the biggest secret to consist metal detecting success. A new latest and greatest machine can't offer you any of the above. And now you know this same vital secret too. It ain't the machine! :icon_thumright: Thank you OBN and those other consistently successful detectorist. I watched, I learned, I listened.

Upvote 0

Digger_O'Dell

May 11, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's certainly sage advice! Although choice of equipment does play a big part as well. For example, using a PI machine can do a much better job in highly mineralized soil or wet salty sand compared to a vlf machine. Again, a CTX 3030 will do far better than a Fisher Price stud finder in any situation.
After equipment choice, then it's all up to the operator being able to use it to its fullest potential. That takes countless hours (or even years) of experience, experimentation, and learning from others for every situation.
Finally you also have location. You cant find something that just isn't there.

Thanks for a great post, and a reminder that the biggest variable in the hunt is the hunter.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A stark reality, for sure, is that there's just nothing consistent when it comes to gold jewelry, which is exactly the opposite of all of the additional features and programs manufacturers are installing on their machines when it comes to target identification, all of these features relying on consistencies. Pennies, dimes, nickels, and even silver provide some measure of consistent target signatures, but just not so when it comes to gold jewelry. Then we have depth, something that when gradually increased continues to produces weaker and weaker and less reliable returns, features like single boost only boosting the volume in the headphones and not the data in the actual return. And in fact, I'm betting if OBN and those other consistently successful detectorist that I learned from were asked they would tell you that they dig "a heck of a lot" of holes for all of the above reasons. I know I do. I'm almost embarrassed at the number of holes I put in the lake or beach bottom sometimes....lol

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent advice, thanks for sharing. The more holes we dig, the more we learn what the detector is telling us. The good finds usually seem to have trash next to them.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post Bigscoop. You’ll get some arguments about it but it’s pretty clear that MOST people know about 1/4 MAX of any given machine they’ve had. It’s like me and my iPhone. I can text, make calls, snap pics....but know little of the other 99.9% of it’s capabilities. BBS, FBS, FBS2 and Multi-IQ machines are at the very top of the food chain. Learn to use one of those PROFICIENTLY....little else will make a difference.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Good post bigscoop. The more you go the more you know. I’ve become comfortable with my Deus but not so much with my Nox. It’s definitely because I have more time in with the Deus and have learned to recognize what it’s telling me.
Good luck and stay safe out there!

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
45 plus . years MD's helps a lot .

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always maintained that it took me about 30 hours of detecting to get back into the "groove" every spring.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Lots of holes dug? Only way to go. Wrote twice this year that when I looked behind me on the beach, metal detecting the wet sand, looked like it had been plowed. Good workout, too. Man, do I miss that right now...

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joes very unique with his finds. So location and research can up your game as well.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For sure, can't find it where it ain't. I seldom hunt a modern/popular beach anymore unless it has a very long history of use. I don't find too many recent drops anymore, the greatest portion being the older stuff. But these places are hard to find, for sure.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Joes very unique with his finds. So location and research can up your game as well.
Thanks Bigscoop and Dew. I started a new game plan early last year. Putting myself in the most likely spots to find gold and the Most unlikely spots to find it. Then add in the very best conditions, being"Very Blessed" and pure luck..... I have hunted a lot less, and had better success at finding treasure per hunt. My best hunt this year was that...8 gold rings

21c.jpg

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree! I hunt "a lot" less then I use, wait on the best conditions at the best possible locations and then picking my battles. Of course, age has sort of demanded this change too as I simply don't have that endless energy and endurance of my youth anymore....lol I was actually planning on doing a great deal of travel & detecting this year but this virus thing killed all of those plans. I've not even been in the water yet this year. Oh well, better days ahead. Stay safe out there, buddy!

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, and Joe, I've never found so many small gold rings in my life as I have the last few years. You were spot on, 4-5, the vast majority of them.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well said! There is no "fountain of Youth" in metal detectors, there is, in hard work learning your current machine. :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread