Interesting target at Corrigans

Highwater

Nov 3, 2007
Shasta County, CA.
Detector(s) used
White's: XLT, MXT, Tesoro: Sand Shark, Tiger Shark. Fisher: 1266X. Minelab: Musketeer.
Interesting target at Corrigan's

I have been watching this site for several years, but just finally got around to signing up. I have enjoyed this site and feel like I already know several of you on here. Just moved to Florida from the pacific NW. Anyway, to the subject at hand. I was trying out a new detector at Corrigan's last week, the day the wind switched to the north and the last good low tide while the beach was still cut. About 1/4 or 1/3 of the way to Seagrape from Turtle access, going north, I got a very good hit next to the surf line. I tried to dig the target with the long handled scoop I had with me but I was too close to the surf and it kept filling the hole before I could get down to the target. The scoop I had is better for dry sand. It is about 5 inches in diameter with wire mesh, you know the kind. Anyway, along came a fellow with a really awesome, heavy duty scoop. I went to him and told him I found a solid target. He came over and checked the spot and confirmed the target. He unloaded his hip mount detector and I threw my scoop up on the beach and we worked together for several minutes. I would keep him centered on the target with my detector while he scooped like crazy. The surf kept filling the hole, but he kept at it. Finally he threw his scoop down and plunged down, arm length, into the hole. The target must have been nearly 2 feet deep. He could touch it but it was too big to bring up. Sorry to say, we didn't get it and also sorry to say, I forgot to get a land bearing so I could go back next time the beach cuts. It was a great and exciting time we had for several minutes trying to work our way down to the target. Hard to say what it was, maybe something that others already know about.?? If we had been a little earlier on the incoming tide we may have been able to at least see it without the hole filling up. It was an exciting moment, working together for a common goal. We stopped and walked up to the dry sand and talked for a while and exchanged phone numbers. He is from the west coast of Florida and drove over because he heard the beaches had cut. Our attempt at this target was the highlight of the day for both of us. So, does anyone already have knowledge of such a target in this area? He couldn't tell what it might be just by touching the top of the target for a few seconds before the next wave came in.What ever it was, it was too big to get out of the hole with the surf rolling in. We really gave it our best shot.

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
Re: Interesting target at Corrigan's

do or do not there is no try -- yoda

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Highwater and welcome from a relative new comer myself. I have not taken the leap to come to the Eastern Coast yet. I am in Central Florida and have spent most of my time on the Western Beaches looking for jewelry and learning my detector.

I know what you mean about those holes filling in. I have a midrange solid scoop and at times, I feel like I am fighting a war by myself when that starts happening. Usually I succeed when I start getting mad and grit my teeth and curse Neptune and every other sea god that I can think of at the moment.

I have given up on a couple of targets in chest deep water over here that I just couldn't dig anymore due to the possibility of drowning in my own hole that I was digging.

I hope to get over to the West Coast soon though. I got a great tip from a great guy that knows the area well. I am just waiting for the right time to come over.

Looks like I may come on Monday the 12th for a recon. I work for the Feds so we get a day off Monday for Veterans Day which is actually on Sunday. YOUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK go figure. Anyway being a Veteran, I feel like I kind of earned one extra day off each year.

Man, just out of reach! That is a bummer. I am looking for a monster scoop. I bought mine at Kellyco and paid about 120 for it. I feel like I didn't get my moneys worth but nobody there was twisting my arm when I pulled it off the shelf. It was the biggest and baddest they had on display although they show something better on their website. Should have asked I guess.

Take care and maybe I will see you there next time.

Jim

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab

Highwater, welcome aboard, what took you so long to join up? Sorry to hear you guys didn't get your target, but hey, you did make a new friend!
Happy Hunting!

OP
OP
Highwater

Highwater

Nov 3, 2007
Shasta County, CA.
Detector(s) used
White's: XLT, MXT, Tesoro: Sand Shark, Tiger Shark. Fisher: 1266X. Minelab: Musketeer.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I am glad I finally joined and I look forward to hanging out on this site. I have always been too busy to spend much time here if I had joined previously, but have now gone into semi-retirement. Highwater

IndianRiverSonrise

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Various

I've had a similar experience in what sounds like about the same spot. Never did get it, but it sounded pretty big.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

well shoot... watch it be a chest .... wouldnt that be something??? any chances ya can kinda remember sorta where you were to re hunt again? if its that big it surely isnt gonna float away..am dying to know what it was.... lol my luck, it would be one of those water bombs..lol

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The same thing happened to me at corrigans about 20 years ago.I got a good hit that sounded like gold.the tide was comming in fast.i remember it was about 3 feet away from a large rock.i had dug a hole with my small scoop and hands an had my arm an shoulder down in it as the water went over my head.i had my hand on a very large chain.i couldnt get it out so i gave up and watched the water cover it over.well kane fisher was just off shore in his dig boat watching me try to get to what i had found.the next day i see in the newspeper that he backed his boat in right on the beach at high tide an blew a hole.there was a photo of him holding a very long solid gold chain with a great big smile on his face.thanx kane im glad i made your day:)

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

For these kinds of targets I bring a bottomless bucket, a plastic 5 gallon pail with the bottom cut out. This keeps the hole from filling back in. You can get them for just a few bucks at Home Depot.

Tek

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

FISHEYE said:
The same thing happened to me at corrigans about 20 years ago.I got a good hit that sounded like gold.the tide was comming in fast.i remember it was about 3 feet away from a large rock.i had dug a hole with my small scoop and hands an had my arm an shoulder down in it as the water went over my head.i had my hand on a very large chain.i couldnt get it out so i gave up and watched the water cover it over.well kane fisher was just off shore in his dig boat watching me try to get to what i had found.the next day i see in the newspeper that he backed his boat in right on the beach at high tide an blew a hole.there was a photo of him holding a very long solid gold chain with a great big smile on his face.thanx kane im glad i made your day:)

What machine 20 years ago, would "tone" gold?
Kane, that doesn't sound like something he would do, LOL !!!!

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Trez,

The MD i had back then was a UW model i bought from kellyco that was a prototype they made.i would tune it to pick up just gold with a 24k gold ring that i always have with me.i no longer have that Md.loaned it to a friend that moved away never to be seen again.i still have the ring that i use with my current MD.depends on where im at on the beach to tune it for just gold.mostly i have the MD set to pick up everything.but i can tell by the many sounds that my MD puts out wether its gold,silver,iron,or other non ferrous metals.my MD has 100 different freqs.normally i have it set between 40 and 50 on the dial since theres so much mineralization or black sand on the beaches around sebastian.plus it has a high and low setting.i keep it on low.on high it blows my ears out on silver and gold.my right speaker in my headphones just blew so now its not so bad.gonna have to fix it,i like stereo.

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is a great idea with the bucket. After fighting holes for a couple of weeks as a new comer, I have been able to get to the item but some have been real battles.

I am assuming that you have to go by hand with the bucket since your scoop would not fit into the bucket, handle and all to dig with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread